Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
RJP77
Earning My Ears

Has Disney done anything to recognize Robin Williams' death?

In particular I know that when James Garner and Annette Funicello died they at least posted a note to that effect on the Disney Parks Blog. I haven't seen anything similar for Robin.

Did I miss it? Was it on another of their sites? Or are they just avoiding this situation because it was a suicide? If so, that is disappointing. He made significant contributions to the Disney company, and was the heart and soul behind an iconic Disney character.
RJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP77 View Post

In particular I know that when James Garner and Annette Funicello died they at least posted a note to that effect on the Disney Parks Blog. I haven't seen anything similar for Robin.

Did I miss it? Was it on another of their sites? Or are they just avoiding this situation because it was a suicide? If so, that is disappointing. He made significant contributions to the Disney company, and was the heart and soul behind an iconic Disney character.
He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

I saw a facebook post yesterday from one of their official pages... Maybe the Walt Disney Company? It was a quote from Bob Iger.

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
RJP77
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
He took his own life I relally don't understand why people want to turn him into some kind of Martry.
The circumstances of his death have nothing to do with why he should be recognized. It's the merits of his work while he was alive.
RJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
luisov
Mouseketeer

Facebook post + homage from Disney's Aladdin on Broadway, if I recall. Not sure if anything else has been stated.
luisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The flag at DHS was flown at half mast not sure for how long. There was a thread somewhere. I thought it was a nice thing to do. Here's also something else: Very unique and touching

http://www.fox23news.com/Photo.aspx?...7-d346c2df4e67

http://www.fox23news.com/mostpopular...9NGwt9OZw.cspx

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
galaxygirl76
Earning My Ears

I also read that Wishes was changed to honor him in some way on the night he died as well.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:

Yes: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blo...robin-williams

They are not avoiding the issue because it was suicide.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I just got a Disney Insider email with a link to a tribute to him

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2014...obin-williams/

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
kollegekreed
Earning My Ears

Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.
kollegekreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Disney has announced they will show Aladdin in his honor this weekend on the Disney Channel and Disney XD.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Here's Bob Iger's statement:

"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh. An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin. He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time."

Am I being too sensitive or does it seem crass that he snuck in mentioning that Aladdin is a Disney film (like most people didn't already know?) and Mork and Mindy was on ABC (which Disney didn't even own back then)?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Here's Bob Iger's statement:

"We're deeply saddened by the loss of Robin Williams, a wonderfully gifted man who touched our hearts and never failed to make us laugh. An incredible actor and a comedic genius, Robin will always be remembered for bringing some of the world's favorite characters to life, from his zany alien on ABC's Mork & Mindy to the irascible genie in Disney's Aladdin. He was a true Disney Legend, a beloved member of our family, and he will be sorely missed. We join Robin's friends and fans everywhere in mourning, and offer our thoughts and condolences to his family during this difficult time."

Am I being too sensitive or does it seem crass that he snuck in mentioning that Aladdin is a Disney film (like most people didn't already know?) and Mork and Mindy was on ABC (which Disney didn't even own back then)?
Yes you are reading more into it. Robin was/is a member of the Disney family as a Disney Legend. Nothing sneaky or crass about his words.

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollegekreed View Post
Tozzie I don't know really know where you think you get off. Does the fact he killed himself make him a bad person? Did he do something wrong? Does that erase the dozens of movies and millions of fans? He didn't kill himself, depression killed him. Get it right.
This! Thank you for saying it so I didn't have to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Yes you are reading more into it. Robin was/is a member of the Disney family as a Disney Legend. Nothing sneaky or crass about his words.
I agree with this also!

December 3-12, 2015 Art of Animation

December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music - January 2002, Offsite
- July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite
Elevationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Yeah, when you put in context with the "Disney Legend" comment it makes more sense. Still, Disney had nothing to do with Mork and Mindy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: