Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvsav37 View Post
Funny thing is that HS has some of my favorite in-park TS restaurants and I always wish I could justify spending more time there so I can get them all in during a given trip. But generally we don't do 2 TS meals in 1 day.
Oh I know! Two of the greatest examples of the Disney themed/immersive restaurants are to be found there. 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine In. Not to be missed and the food at both is yummy. Hollywood Brown Derby is highly recommended as well.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #32
apwoodr
Earning My Ears

I was at MGM when it first opened in 89, and thought it was boring then. It's now one of our favorite parks, and one of the reasons we bought BWV. We love ToT, RnRC, 50's PT Cafe, and the new Star Tours. DD and I were there during the ToT 10 Mile Race a couple years ago and stayed until 3am riding everything with no waiting. It felt like the entire park was ours as they didn't even make us exit the rides.
apwoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #33
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwoodr View Post
I was at MGM when it first opened in 89, and thought it was boring then. It's now one of our favorite parks
Same here, went when it opened and didn't go back until Nov, 2012. We really enjoyed the park and probably spent a total of two days there out of eight. Then again, we are now empty nesters and like the ambiance, entertainment, and food rather than being big ride fans. Our other favorite park is and always has been Epcot.
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #34
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus4u View Post
Same here, went when it opened and didn't go back until Nov, 2012. We really enjoyed the park and probably spent a total of two days there out of eight. Then again, we are now empty nesters and like the ambiance, entertainment, and food rather than being big ride fans. Our other favorite park is and always has been Epcot.
I'm an ambiance person too, so I can't really explain my issue. I should like it more! Animal Kingdom is actually my favorite, which really isn't a popular opinion either.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #35
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Hollywood Studios needs help...no argument there. Yet there is something amazing about waiting till park close when 2/3 of the people are gone. Then just strolling down Sunset and Hollywood BLVD. You don't get kicked out then so you can just walk. The streets are empty and for that short period of time you feel like you are somewhere else.
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #36
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Hollywood Studios needs help...no argument there. Yet there is something amazing about waiting till park close when 2/3 of the people are gone. Then just strolling down Sunset and Hollywood BLVD. You don't get kicked out then so you can just walk. The streets are empty and for that short period of time you feel like you are somewhere else.
Well now I feel like I want to go there at night! Man...another thing I have to schedule. lol
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #37
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
Well now I feel like I want to go there at night! Man...another thing I have to schedule. lol
It really does feel like another park at night. Especially like I said Hollywood and Sunset. Right now I imagine it is pretty frantic with Frozen Summer Fun. Christmas at night is also a GREAT time for the Studios....for reasons I don't have to explain.
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #38
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
It really does feel like another park at night. Especially like I said Hollywood and Sunset. Right now I imagine it is pretty frantic with Frozen Summer Fun. Christmas at night is also a GREAT time for the Studios....for reasons I don't have to explain.
Christmas at night is great anywhere. I need to do that some day.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #39
flutterby3744
Mouseketeer

I agree. It's likely we will skip HS on our next trip. I'm not a fan of TOT and I don't understand the "mania" about TSMM. Decent enough ride, but geez. Definatly not the greatest. It's a pretty boring park IMO.

Now AK, I could spend days there. But then again I love all the trails and nature aspect of the whole thing. It's my second fav park! (Behind MK, of course).
Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 AM   #40
stephwtx
Mouseketeer

I agree HS is my least fav park but it ranks high w my preschool/elem school aged kids. They are all about the characters and there are a ton of meet and greets you can't get anywhere else in WDW.

We always start the day at H&V w the Disney Jr friends. Food sucks but you get to see Doc, Sofia, Jake and Manny
Phenies and Ferb only at HS
Lighting and Mator only at HS
Mike and Sulley only at HS
Mr incredible and Frozone only at HS (dance party at MK doesn't count as m&g)
Ralph and Vanilipe only at HS

See a trend here?

You add Buzz and Woody together and Goofy, Donald, Daisy, chip and dale in there cool 50's outfits, Mickey in his wizard robes... You can spend half a day easily just getting autographs and pictures..

Which leaves the afternoon for TSM, disney Jr live, star tours, little mermaid (dear god please update this soon), great movie ride, muppets 3 D, characterpalooza, another crappy meal and it's off to Fantasmic

A full day but not the most enjoyable...

Now Star Wars weekend?? That's another story : )
stephwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #41
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

I think we're going to omit DHS next trip and do US/LOA. I told DH that we would have to give up a Disney park to go to US and from what I've been reading lately US beats DHS.

All I have as must do things are TSM because we have yet to get into...every time we gone FPs were out. Plus, one ToT and RnR of course and a photo with Wreck-It Ralph and Vanelope. DH said he'd love to see Indiana again...ummm no.

We will just hop over to DHS after AK on our AK day as usual and catch what we can before Fantasmic.

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Amirah95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #42
grumpymickey
Earning My Ears

I love ToT and RNR but that is about it at Hollywood Studios. I do some other things but they are take it or leave it with the exception of Fantasmic.

Even Toy Story is overrated in my opinion. It has long lines because there is nothing else for small children to ride!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #43
Josh Hendy
Mouseketeer

We love the Beauty and the Beast show but we've seen it every time we've been there.

I was wondering ... why don't they have a company of repertoire players that can do several shows? The artists (onstage and backstage) certainly have the ability and they would probably love the challenge and variety of doing different shows every day (or every couple of hours).

It would require re-designing the theater and the sets to use the traditional, hoisted flats (or whatever they're called) and break-down set pieces. The sets would be less glitzy and customized (i.e. built-in) looking but hey - it's the artists' performance that's really drawing the crowd, right?

I would also prefer to have a pit with live musicians, even at the expense of having a smaller cast of dancers/chorus. But I suppose that the musicians union rules WDW and it's probably far cheaper to hire talented dancers than instrumentalists. Not to mention that canned music allows a much fuller sound than the inevitably reduced-sized orchestra that would have to employed, plus it allows the dancing and (probably) canned chorus singing tracks to be synchronized more easily.

I'm probably dreaming - since WDW is far more driven by "first time, only time" guests than DisneyLand, the need to appeal to umpteenth-time visitors by staging fresh and varied live entertainment is not very great.

Or is it?
Josh Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #44
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Would be nice if they did a sort of "Broadway" street, with a few theaters and co-located several stage shows in that area.
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #45
Pfau
Mouseketeer

even though I've not been since 1997 and my 5 and 8 year old love Doc McStuffins, Buzz Lightyear, and the like, I've decided to skip the park. I have one child who is obsessed with animals and one child who is obsessed with other countries. I'm not worried that we will miss anything by skipping HS.
Pfau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: