Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
TinkerBella17
Earning My Ears

Disappointed with DHS

There's just not much to do there. After going on Tot, Rock n' Roller, TGMR & Toy Story Mania, I get bored. I know there's shows and things like the Disney Animation but in terms of spending more than one day there a trip I just don't see how anyone finds enough things to do. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that this park needs a MAJOR face lift?

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away!

All you need is FAITH, trust and a little pixie dust
TinkerBella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
StinkyPete&Jessie
Earning My Ears

I agree but think the experience is different depending upon if it's your first visit to DHS.
I skip a good 1/3 of the attractions because they are not worth doing again. However, you would be hard pressed to get all the rides and shows done in 1 day.
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

DHS is only a one day park for most people. The same with Animal Kingdom. I would not worry if you only do one day at DHS. All are hoping that with the acquiring of Lucas Films that DHS will soon be getting some much needed Love from Disney.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
glvsav37
Mouseketeer

On our last trip in July, we realized just how many 'attractions' closed at 5pm there. IMO thats' the biggest problem with the park.

most of the movie based shows
the stunt shows
the character meet and greets in the animation bldg.

We have young kids who were not interested in ToT or RnR. We did do the Frozen VIP pkg, and it really hit us after the late afternoon sing-a-long and then a looooong stretch before the desert party started.

Next time I think we will book a later dinner to fill that time.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Silock
DIS Veteran

I always manage to stay a whole day there. But mostly because I go to Tune In Lounge and drink PB&J milkshakes for like 4 hours.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

DHS and AK, neither are a full day park for me, some through no fault of the parks, though. Once I hit the big rides at DHS, I'm pretty much done. I'll do the animation stuff, maybe Great Movie Ride, and the backlot...but I'm not a fan of the food choices there, so I usually end up leaving. I'm hoping some kind of expansion will remedy this.

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom has long been labelled a half day park but I think Hollywood Studios almost has less big draws at the moment. There is only six rides in DHS, the rest of the attractions are all shows or walk throughs. Animal Kingdom also has six rides plus shows and walk-throughs. I think the only thing truly stopping DHS being a half day park is Fantasmic, as this encourages people to stay into the evening. They need to work on new rides for DHS and refresh all the shows, Indianna Jones and Beauty and the Beast are both ancient, replace or update!

Last edited by jon18uk; 08-14-2014 at 05:56 AM.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

I agree with Stinky Pete, if you've been there a few times and can skip a lot of the shows I could see where many probably consider it a 1 day park but for newer visitors like myself I think it's a multi day park.

I spent a day and a half on my first trip last year and although I got on all the rides a few times I still missed a few shows I wanted to see due to the overlapping start times. I had only scheduled one day at HS but ended up going back for a half day because I missed so many shows and although it didn't have a huge selection of rides the ones it did have (ToT, RnRC, TSMM, and Star Tours) ended up being 4 of my favorite rides in all the parks, I also thought HS had a couple really cool themed restaurants and Fantasmic was the icing on the cake.

I think on my next trip I'll still plan at least a full day and a partial day if not 2 full days just to try to see it all again.

Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Agreed - we only ever plan maybe a half day there. But it's all about what you're interested in. ToT, RRC, TSM, TGMR and I'm pretty much set. Oh, and a carrot cake cookie. Obviously.

Fun fact: In the five times I've been there with DH since 2008 we've only visited AK once, on our honeymoon/first trip. The coaster was fun, the rapids drenching. But it was so.darn.hot. Next time we go in December I'd love to spend some time really looking around because I remember being so impressed with the theming. Big surprise, it's WDW. But it just hasn't been worth a return trip for us yet.

October 1998 - First Visit
September 2008 - Honeymoon, Polynesian
September 2009, 2010, 2012 - Anniversary, Polynesian
December 2012 & 2014 - at the Polynesian
TheNewMrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Cold71
Mouseketeer

Agree with everyone, i'm only able to turn this in to an all day park because we typically only go down every other year. Even then though I find myself having to ride StarWars 5 times, RnR 6-7 times, etc. While i'm still having fun it would be nice to see a larger mix of rides.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
mvk
Mouseketeer

Supposedly AFI Showcase and Backlot Tour exit gift shop closing after Saturday in preparation for a "future guest experience".

Per WDW News Today.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Goofcoaster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvsav37 View Post
On our last trip in July, we realized just how many 'attractions' closed at 5pm there. IMO thats' the biggest problem with the park.

most of the movie based shows
the stunt shows
the character meet and greets in the animation bldg.

We have young kids who were not interested in ToT or RnR. We did do the Frozen VIP pkg, and it really hit us after the late afternoon sing-a-long and then a looooong stretch before the desert party started.

Next time I think we will book a later dinner to fill that time.

I think DHS is missing out on a lot of night entertainment. So much could be done at this park to keep people in the gates well into the dark.
Goofcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

If we could ride TSMM, Star Tours and ToT with no wait, we'd be done with DHS after an hour. We have young kids and the park just doesn't have much appeal for little ones. I've never liked the park layout either.

We're going to AK for the first time since 2010. We belong to a zoo at home, so it just doesn't have as much appeal. We plan to spend 4-5 hours there and either relax by the pool or hop to MK or Epcot.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct15 - Extended family trip?

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Oct14 - Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County MI, Jun15 - Black Hills/Badlands SD & Yellowstone/Grand Teton WY
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
I always manage to stay a whole day there. But mostly because I go to Tune In Lounge and drink PB&J milkshakes for like 4 hours.
Aw yiss.

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
Supposedly AFI Showcase and Backlot Tour exit gift shop closing after Saturday in preparation for a "future guest experience".

Per WDW News Today.
I hate this news. I usually always get something from that shop, and it just seems so.....abrupt?

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: