Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Disney Economy is Back

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/09/inve...Top+Stories%29
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus4u View Post
From what I'm hearing the WDW Resorts are nowhere near capacity. The Deluxe Resorts seem to really be floundering.

Vacancies all around.

OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
seascapemvy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
From what I'm hearing the WDW Resorts are nowhere near capacity. The Deluxe Resorts seem to really be floundering.

Vacancies all around.

Don't believe everything you read on the Boards. The only numbers to believe are gross revenue numbers and hotel occupancy numbers based on County tax records. Neither Disney not Comcast report all their numbers.

Do the deluxe resorts have the same capacity rates as moderate or value, no but they are not designed to. Anyway what really matters to Disney and Comcast are revenue numbers. There Comcast's Universal Division will have a much higher increase in numbers this year because they added 40% more rooms with the opening of Cabana Bay. Disney has had their increase in rooms a few years ago. Expect Universal's numbers to increase at least 20% in the next quarter just based on a small increase in attendance and the increase in hotel room sales. Anything less than that would be disappointing. As for Disney, Iger left himself open for a major issue if Disney does not have a good quarter because he said the results of MDE and FP+ would begin to show in this quarter. Given that they just reported with a P&R revenue increase of just 8% they had a 24% increase in profits the September quarter will be interesting.
seascapemvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascapemvy View Post
Given that they just reported with a P&R revenue increase of just 8% they had a 24% increase in profits the September quarter will be interesting.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you were saying here...could you elaborate, please?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
seascapemvy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand what you were saying here...could you elaborate, please?
I should have put a comma in. In the quarter ending in June, Disney Parks Division had an 8% gain in revenue which resulted in a 24% increase in profits. That is becuase hotel attendnance increased to 82% from 79%. Profits from hotels are extremely high once it reaches 80%. There was also and increase in park attendance and per capita spending.

The September quarter will be very interesting. Iger said that Next gen, that is MDE, Fast Pass plus and magic bands, will start to show returns. That would indicate in July things were going well. They must be expecting some good results or they would not have said something like that.

It is not really possible to compare the percentage increase in revenue of the two companies because Universal added 40% more hote rooms this year while Disney added none and neither company provides a break down of revenue between hotels and tickets and park spending.
seascapemvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Andrew015
WL Guru

This is all a result of Magic Bands and MDE............................
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascapemvy View Post
I should have put a comma in. In the quarter ending in June, Disney Parks Division had an 8% gain in revenue which resulted in a 24% increase in profits. That is becuase hotel attendnance increased to 82% from 79%. Profits from hotels are extremely high once it reaches 80%. There was also and increase in park attendance and per capita spending.

The September quarter will be very interesting. Iger said that Next gen, that is MDE, Fast Pass plus and magic bands, will start to show returns. That would indicate in July things were going well. They must be expecting some good results or they would not have said something like that.

It is not really possible to compare the percentage increase in revenue of the two companies because Universal added 40% more hote rooms this year while Disney added none and neither company provides a break down of revenue between hotels and tickets and park spending.
Thanks seascape for clarifying
Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Did anyone else find it interesting that when prices were announced in July, there were no increases in tickets or rooms?

The past few years there has always been an increase.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Djscarlette
Earning My Ears

I was waiting for prices to go up, too. I was certainly surprised. Maybe it's because they did a price increase last winter also.... I think just on Epcot and HS or something like that. I don't quite recall at this time.

Oct. 2013-WL and married at GF
Feb. 2014- off site
Sept.2014- CBBR @UO and CR
Djscarlette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: