Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
DWorldOrBust
Earning My Ears

Which Villas?

Good Morning everyone! I am looking for some opinions on which villas to stay at. Last October (2013) we stayed at POR for a week and really enjoyed it. We are looking at planning a return trip in October of 2015 and I would like to stay in a studio suite. It is myself, my son (9 yrs) and my fiance'. I would love to hear the pros/cons about the various DVC villas. I originally had thought we would just do AKL but I started looking at the other resorts and really liked the look of the GF. Help!
DWorldOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
illinidp
DIS Veteran

You might consider renting points from a DVC owner or third party broker to stay at AKL, GF, BLT, or VWL. The Epcot resort area is great also and the BCV have access to Stormalong Bay. OKW has larger rooms but is a different experience as it is off by itself.

Consider getting a 1BR. The main advantage of DVC Villas are the extra space of the living room, laundry, and full kitchen in the room, which the studios don't have. One downside is no regular housekeeping service unless you pay for it. Otherwise you get basic towel and trash service every four days. If you're not renting a car there are services that will deliver groceries, laundry detergent, etc.

If you spend a lot of time at MK, GF and BLT are the most convenient. Its easy to end the evening by watching Wishes and closing down the MK every night if you want. GF is a quick monorail ride there and a quick boat ride back. The BLT is easy walking distance to the MK and a short monorail ride back.
illinidp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWorldOrBust View Post
Good Morning everyone! I am looking for some opinions on which villas to stay at. Last October (2013) we stayed at POR for a week and really enjoyed it. We are looking at planning a return trip in October of 2015 and I would like to stay in a studio suite. It is myself, my son (9 yrs) and my fiance'. I would love to hear the pros/cons about the various DVC villas. I originally had thought we would just do AKL but I started looking at the other resorts and really liked the look of the GF. Help!
A studio really isn't a "suite". I think of a "suite" as more than one room. It's just like a regular hotel room with a kitchenette. Most have 1 queen bed and a double sofabed. OKW has 2 queens. VGF & VWL also have a pulldown twin bed.

A 1 bedroom is more of a suite. You would have a king bed in the bedroom and a queen sofabed in the living room. Full kitchen, large bathroom with Jacuzzi tub.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

We own at AKL and love it there. I have wanted to stay at GF ever since it opened. I was one of the happy people when DVC expanded there and I LOVED it.

Both are great options. AKL will feel more laid back while GF will feel more upscale.

We have stayed at Beach Club, Saratoga, treehouse villas (another favorite as if is quite unique!), Old Key West, Bay Lake Tower, VGF, and both Jambo House and Kidani at AKL.

GF is my favorite and AKL is a close second.
Your son *may* like the decor at AKL more. But my son did like his stay at VGF.

GF pros: proximity to monorail, newest DVC property, "fancy fancy", great staff
Cons: more expensive, not everyone likes "fancy fancy", decor may not appeal

AKL pros: animals!, cool decor, awesome restaurants, Kidani water area is like it down mini water park
Cons: some find it too far from everything (I do not agree and find that a non-issue), some think of is dark, some folks comment the decor does nothing for them, if staying at Kidani, can be quite the hike to Jambo--but bus is available.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: