Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Disneymomma0783
Mouseketeer

Storm along bay

Hi all! We are so excited...first stay at BC booked for October 2015!

This will probably sound rather paranoid, but I have been reading online where people make it their mission to swim there despite not being a guest. Can anyone tell me, is security actually pretty decent or does it get filled with illegal hoppers?

Sorry to sound so lame...I just could never imagine going to a pool at a hotel I was NOT staying at! We are also staying at AKL...do people swim there despite not being registered guests too?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Pattil1960
Mouseketeer

When we were there in March, you had to use your magic band to get in.
Pattil1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

BC is very strict about guest only being allowed at the pool.
AKL - unfortunately they are not as strict...When we stayed there we had the pleasure of sitting next to a lovely couple who were staying at a different resort but were spending the day at the AKL pool and felt so good about it they shared the news with several of their friends on their cell phone.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Disneymomma0783
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
AKL - unfortunately they are not as strict...When we stayed there we had the pleasure of sitting next to a lovely couple who were staying at a different resort but were spending the day at the AKL pool and felt so good about it they shared the news with several of their friends on their cell phone.
This will infuriate me if I see this!!! I could never imagine doing that. It's one of those things...you work hard to provide certain experiences for your family and then there is behaviour like that...sigh...
Glad to hear BC is strict though!!! Maybe by oct 2015 AKL will be checking magic bands! At least one can hope!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Jefrex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomma0783 View Post
This will infuriate me if I see this!!! I could never imagine doing that. It's one of those things...you work hard to provide certain experiences for your family and then there is behaviour like that...
I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, but if it was me, I'd relax. If folks are staying at a different resort, then "double dippin'" at another resort's pool, it may not be entirely kosher, but I also wouldn't think it somehow poisons the water in said resort's pool. Other people breaking rules may be annoying, but if it isn't actually detracting from your experience, it doesn't seem valuable to overly fret. It certainly doesn't seem like it's going to devoid one family's experience ... assuming the pool isn't being overrun with infected vermin from other resorts. Consider finding amusement in how swimming in a forbidden resort's pool makes them feel good.
Jefrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

The BC has that pool on lockdown for sure! We loved it when we stayed there last year

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
AllyBri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomma0783 View Post
Hi all! We are so excited...first stay at BC booked for October 2015!

This will probably sound rather paranoid, but I have been reading online where people make it their mission to swim there despite not being a guest. Can anyone tell me, is security actually pretty decent or does it get filled with illegal hoppers?

Sorry to sound so lame...I just could never imagine going to a pool at a hotel I was NOT staying at! We are also staying at AKL...do people swim there despite not being registered guests too?
No one is pool hopping at the BC pool (stormalong) you need a MB saying you are staying there and the color band of the day. No exceptions.

TDS 1994-2005
DVC 1994
Celebratišošn 2001
Living The Dream!

When you die
God and the angels
will hold you accountable
for all the pleasures you were allowed in life
that you denied yourself.
AllyBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I agree with the other posters who say that pool hoppers are not currently a problem at Stormalong Bay. I believe in the past, there were a couple of ways sneaky people could get around security, but the use of Magic Bands at the resort has made this much less likely.

Enjoy the pool!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrex View Post
I know this is going to be taken the wrong way, but if it was me, I'd relax. If folks are staying at a different resort, then "double dippin'" at another resort's pool, it may not be entirely kosher, but I also wouldn't think it somehow poisons the water in said resort's pool. Other people breaking rules may be annoying, but if it isn't actually detracting from your experience, it doesn't seem valuable to overly fret. It certainly doesn't seem like it's going to devoid one family's experience ... assuming the pool isn't being overrun with infected vermin from other resorts. Consider finding amusement in how swimming in a forbidden resort's pool makes them feel good.
While this is good advice, and mentally healthy, I've been at SAB prior to MBs, and it was always insanely crowded...to the point that I couldn't find a chair. That's why I wouldn't want pool crashers. Maybe it was just unfortunate timing on my part, but it was almost always packed.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Disneymomma0783
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrex View Post
Lol no worries, I will not need any sort of sedation to stay calm. Im not going to loose sleep or anything. I just have read in the past where the pool can get insanely crowded with people who do not belong (as I have read this happens at Poly, etc). I'm not worried about pool hopping "germs" per se it's just one of those things (and I'm sorry I don't find it amusing)....if you want to swim at SAB then stay @ BC or YC.

Glad it's well patrolled these days though and thank you for all the responses!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Spent 8 nights at the Beach Club Villas last month....

I can confirm that no one is even getting into the Stormalong Bay fenced- in area without a Magic Band. The family in front of me at the gate guard checking the Magic Bands had to send one of their sons back to their room for his Magic Band. The CM would not let him in without it. I told her how great it is that they are checking each & every guest.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
megreg
Earning My Ears

We are staying at BC for 12 days at the end of August, I'm glad to hear it's security is tight and only allows registered guests.. Question, do you have to wear your magic band while in the pool the entire time? My concern is my kids are probably going to want to take then off while swimming...

OffSite - 1981
ASM - 1994
Polynesian - 10/2008
Polynesian - 9/2011
Beach Club - 8/9 - 2014

megreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megreg View Post
We are staying at BC for 12 days at the end of August, I'm glad to hear it's security is tight and only allows registered guests.. Question, do you have to wear your magic band while in the pool the entire time? My concern is my kids are probably going to want to take then off while swimming...
Friends of ours just returned from a stay at YC and the wife was worried that the kids were going to lose their MBs while in SAB and had them take them off once inside. She said that lasted about a half a day because of 2 things:

1.) Anytime a CM saw one of the kids without one they would have to come over by where their stuff was and get it. The CM said it would be a good idea to leave it on but the kids new their Mom didn't want them to wear them so once the CM left they would take them off and go swim. Happened 5 times in 2 hours. And every time they happened to be as far away from their spot as possible.

2.) Two of the kids went out of the gate to check out the hair braiding stand forgetting to put their MBs on so they could not get back in. After a little while our friends were starting to get worried and were looking all over for them. The kids asked the CM if he could find their parents because they had their MBs. Well with their parents looking for them, they were no longer in the spot the kids told the CM they would be. After about 25 minutes, the Dad saw them standing right outside the gate.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
I'm wondering if the addition of fencing at the resort pools, will mean magic band entry will become standard at all resorts.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
I'm wondering if the addition of fencing at the resort pools, will mean magic band entry will become standard at all resorts.
Let's hope so!

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: