Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #16
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

It is worth noting as in the above post that none of the attractions or stores will be open. It's up to you as to whether the event would be something your children would enjoy. However it's probably an event that a high percentage of kids would be bored with. Sometimes bored kids can be disruptive to others if the boredom leads them to behave in a disruptive fashion, but that isn't the point really.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Why do people think because its WDW that it always has to be about kids, all the time, to the exclusion of adults? I think 90% of WDW is about kids and family vacations. I think it's perfectly okay that the folks at Disney designate some time, places, spaces being for adults only...Heck, when our son was 3, we got an inroom babysitter and went out to dinner-He doesn't remember it now, but it was a great night for both of us.

Some things about Disney World can be adults only...It's okay...We will all survive. And if that's not what you choose for you and your kids...then choose something else.

P.S. I don't need to tell ghost stories under the sheets with a flashlight at Disney...that's what camping trips are for and my son was always WAY too tired for that after a day at Disney.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
RedStars
Mouseketeer

I have 2 young kids. I wouldn't want my own kids at the after hours event let alone other people's kids.

And while we may be doing Disney "for the kids", I don't think there's anything wrong with an adult-only evening.
RedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I have to agree with the majority of the other posters that I don't think you should bring children to this event. I won't be going but if I did, I would be leaving my children behind and would be very annoyed to have paid that money and have children at the event.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
isaboo
Mouseketeer

Sure you can. But you probably shouldn't.

I was thinking about doing booking this for my husband and I on our upcoming trip and sending the twins back to the hotel with the teenager, but decided against it. If I was on a trip with just my husband though I would love to do a wind-down though!

isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillsnJills View Post
I'd find it highly irritating to have kids sitting around whining or crying because they're bored or tired or don't like the food offered.

Think of it this way - would you take your kids into a bar anywhere else you were on vacation? Why would you do it at Disney, especially when you have to pay a premium to do so?
I've taken my kids to brewpubs, brewery tours, etc and they didn't whine, cry or bother anyone. I've seen adults act worse at these establishments occasionally.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

Thank you, thank you for not bringing your kids to this after hours wind down adult event. You are very considerate!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
isaboo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
I've taken my kids to brewpubs, brewery tours, etc and they didn't whine, cry or bother anyone. I've seen adults act worse at these establishments occasionally.
Those adults you speak of are a big part of the reason why I don't take my kids to events like this.

isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #24
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemadison
Wow! I really started something, huh? Glad I asked. I won't do after hours based on the responses here but man, I am surprised by the animosity towards children here! My kids are awesome and I'm not giving up a minute with them on a vacation FOR them. We'll go wander the Boardwalk...together until everyone is nice and sleepy and then we'll go back to the hotel and tell ghost stories with flashlights under the covers. There will be no whining from any of us, I promise.
You seem to feel really strongly about spending this vaca time with your kids, so honestly, I'm a little surprised you are even considering a night of alchohol in a venue that really seems to be rather adult-oriented. I love spending time with my kids, too, so I don't party, drink often, or go out much (I feel too bad about working all day/week to ditch them on the weekend or vacation, too!)...not sure this venue sounds right for your family. I like a good beer or glass of wine every now and then, just not at Disney.

My advice is to do something else while at Disney. Take an adults only weekend some other time.
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

If you would like to go to the after hours thing - definitely go! My guess is that the kids would have a better time at the kid's club than they would doing the late Epcot thing. Not saying that you DO feel guilty about it, but I wouldn't feel one bit guilty about hanging with my spouse for a couple of hours while the kids were at a kid's club.
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

My kid is five and based on his bedtime he would probably fall asleep in the stroller before this event even started. If he was awake he would be fine for the length of a meal. He is used to restaurants and coloring or whatever. I wouldn't ask him to do it for more then an hour or hour and a half though. If his behavior was inappropriate I would remove him from the situation but I feel confident that wouldn't happen.

I wouldn't give a thought to whether other people were bothered by his simple presence. It's not an adults only event so therefore it's up to me to decide as the parent if my kid is able to attend while behaving appropriately. It probably is a more adult geared event though so I would be prepared to leave early if I needed to. I'm thinking this event might be more likely to illicit bad behavior from adults than children.

2015June6 days akv- club levelMarch- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Rosiemadison
Earning My Ears

That's exactly why I asked.

Just to clarify, I am not taking the kids, nor did I sign any of us up for any of the Food & Wine events. That's why I asked my question.

I haven't been to Disney in nearly 20 years. I only started learning about Disney vacation planning a few months ago and I did not know what Food & Wine even was. I certainly did not realize the after hours event was about sitting around drinking in a bar or I never would have asked. I was picturing it as sort of an evening world showcase street faire thing that would be a little less crowded than the daytime stuff with various ethnic food, music, and wine tasting options. My children tend to enjoy this sort of thing--trying new foods and such. I think it makes them feel mature and that they are not being left out. Anyway, the Disney site was not too clear exactly on what "after hours" was so I thought I would ask the experts here. Now I know!

So, thank you for clarifying and, again, please don't worry---we won't be ruining your after hours mojo!
Rosiemadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #28
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Quote:
I certainly did not realize the after hours event was about sitting around drinking in a bar or I never would have asked. I was picturing it as sort of an evening world showcase street faire thing that would be a little less crowded than the daytime stuff with various ethnic food, music, and wine tasting options.
Aha - the issue clarifies. There are two "after hours" events at Epcot, and since neither of them have the words After Hours in the title it appears they were mixed up. You are describing the Food and Wine Festival event titled "Food and Wine Late Nights Live." Not the Epcot Wind Down, which is a completely different event. The Wind Down is what everyone has been cautioning you about. The Late Nights Live is not. The only way it's like the Wind Down is that no attractions will be open. You would have no problems bringing your children to that, although they still might get a bit bored. It is presented on Tuesday and Thursday nights from September 23 through November 6 and costs $79 per person. It's a Food and Wine Festival event, so there is still no price reduction for children.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 08-07-2014 at 03:04 PM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #29
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Seeing other people with their kids at these events would never bother/ruin it for me - but bringing my OWN kids...would.

Kids Clubs are wonderful, safe, FUN, places for the kids. My boys LOVE them and would be so sad if I did not allow them to go at least once on a vacation...

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #30
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

As long as kids are allowed, it's up to you and you alone whether you choose to bring them. You know what they like what will bore them. If anybody has a problem with your decision, that's on them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: