Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Rosiemadison
Earning My Ears

Question Can kids do after hours at Epcot?

My kids are 7 and 11. Are they allowed to do an after hours meal with us or would we have to dump them at the kids club? The whole point of the trip is to do this as a family, so I am hesitant to give up precious time with my kids so DH and I can eat and drink longer!
Rosiemadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Yes they are allowed but you should note:

1) You must purchase admission to the event for the children and there is no price reduction.
2) Alternate beverages will be offered, but not alternate food (no "kids menu"). It is not a meal, just a few appetizer type offerings.
3) This event is not intended for children. Although they are permitted, there will be few if any children at your event. You should prepare for their possible boredom.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
mgsquared
A big kid at heart

I think you would upset the other adults paying the extra money for an adults night out.. it's a late night of drinking... not really an event where kids will be welcome.

I'm not going but if I were to and would pay the extra cash-the appeal of it would be to enjoy epcot kid free no?
mgsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsquared View Post
I think you would upset the other adults paying the extra money for an adults night out.. it's a late night of drinking... not really an event where kids will be welcome.

I'm not going but if I were to and would pay the extra cash-the appeal of it would be to enjoy epcot kid free no?
I agree
There are very, very few things adults can enjoy Child free. I would not welcome children at my After Hours Wind Down at Epcot.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I think it would be fine, and am surprised at the responses from those who would be upset to see children there.

1) no one but you will be in charge of the children. why do others care if there is a 7 year old near them?

2) You're in EPCOT. It's DISNEY. There WILL be kids around you. Go elsewhere if you don't want to have children nearby? That is what makes Disney so amazing for families, is that children ARE welcome everywhere (except V&A ).
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Luv2Run
Mouseketeer

All I have to say is: please don't bring your children to the after-hours wind down. Please, please don't do it. If it's that important to you to have drinks with your husband with your children present, there are plenty of other places you can go that you don't have to pay admission to.

Feb. 2011 - Offsite, June 2011 - Offsite/Contemporary, Feb. 2012 - Offsite/OKW, Nov. 2012 - All Star Music, Feb. 2013 - BLT/Offsite, Feb. 2014 - All Star Music
Next: Feb. 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside!
Luv2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I don't see any reason to bring children to a late night drinking event. Initially the event WAS adults only, and if it ever goes back to that then I might partake. Use the kids club.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

I would have to agree No Kids!! We were thinking about doing this in a couple of weeks but heard that they now allow kids so I'm having second thoughts about spending the money. I'm sorry but I don't want to hear other peoples kids whining and crying because they are bored! There's a time and place for kids and this isn't one of them. I don't care if it's disney! Kids are what ruined the pleasure island experience also!!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
MakiraMarlena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
I think it would be fine, and am surprised at the responses from those who would be upset to see children there.

1) no one but you will be in charge of the children. why do others care if there is a 7 year old near them?

2) You're in EPCOT. It's DISNEY. There WILL be kids around you. Go elsewhere if you don't want to have children nearby? That is what makes Disney so amazing for families, is that children ARE welcome everywhere (except V&A ).

For some events, "allowed" is not the same thing as "welcome."
Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
LillsnJills
Mouseketeer

So agree with those saying don't bring the kids! There's so much else in Disney that is kid friendly, if not entirely kid-centric. Why do people win kids begrudge those of us without even the smallest of experiences that don't include children? As a PP said, if I'm paying extra for an after hours event that is focused on adult beverages and maybe some education on said beverages (thinking specifically of the tequila seminar), I'd find it highly irritating to have kids sitting around whining or crying because they're bored or tired or don't like the food offered.

Think of it this way - would you take your kids into a bar anywhere else you were on vacation? Why would you do it at Disney, especially when you have to pay a premium to do so?

LillsnJills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
mommycrawford
DIS Veteran

I am only putting in my 2c because I think so many responses are so negative!

You know who your kids are, and you know what environments they would be comfortable and well behaved in!

If you are having a family vacation and are curious about the event, and willing to pay for it, and think you'd all enjoy it, I hope you go! (Pubs are most usually family friendly, whereas bars seem less so.)

...Asking the question shows that you are thoughtful, but with all the dissenters, they may be letting you know that your children may see adult behaviors that might be less than charming.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Rosiemadison
Earning My Ears

Wow! I really started something, huh? Glad I asked. I won't do after hours based on the responses here but man, I am surprised by the animosity towards children here! My kids are awesome and I'm not giving up a minute with them on a vacation FOR them. We'll go wander the Boardwalk...together until everyone is nice and sleepy and then we'll go back to the hotel and tell ghost stories with flashlights under the covers. There will be no whining from any of us, I promise.
Rosiemadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
srauseo
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry if folks interpret this as negative but I am going to agree with the group that say this event is not intended for kids. It's basically about the alcohol. There are some small appetizers served but probably nothing that would appeal to most children and there is no reduced price for kids. I can't imagine paying $35 so that my kid could sit and watch me drink and eat while they maybe have a Coke. If the kids are really content to sit and chill it probably wouldn't bother me but kids just being at an event changes the atmosphere, you know what I mean? We are doing After Hours but Grandma is staying back at the hotel with the kiddos and they will have a fun night watching Disney movies and eating Doritos in bed with her. I'm sure they'll have a much better time than they would sitting in a bar watching us drink beer.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
MakiraMarlena

There is no animosity toward children here. This is a drinking event. It's not for children. It's rather like the Food & Wine Festival events. You can bring your kids if you want, but you'll pay the full price, the event will be full of adults and basically no accommodations will be made for the kids other than a non-alcoholic beverage of some type (if they don't like the food, you can't get chicken nuggets.) This is Disney's less than in your face way of saying that if you want to pay full price to bring the kids, fine, but be aware that this is not an event meant for them. If your vacation is, as you claim, FOR the kids, you can choose to drag them to an event that is FOR adults if you want, but they will likely be the only kids there (based on reports, there have been few if any children at the wind down events) and they will be bored since it's really going to be about adults sitting around bars and drinking. You alone know how to handle the boredom aspect with your own children (whether or not they will get restless), and since the events are about adults drinking, you may end up seeing behavior you don't want the kids exposed to...but then you did sign them up for an event that is primarily about adults drinking, so posters are now making you aware of the fact that this is not a family-centric event.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 08-07-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I guess I'm in the minority but having kids there wouldn't affect my time there. Due to the nature of the event and the cost of it, there won't be many kids there to begin with, so a handful of kids from adults who want to check it out would be negligible and likely won't have an impact on anyone. I expect kids wherever I go at Disney, so its a non-issue. The only reason I wouldn't do it if I had kids is because they'd be bored - no attractions are open and I don't think stores are open. Plus the apps probably wouldn't appeal to kids. I'd hate to have a kid want to leave after paying all that money.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: