Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
RobbW
"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate!"

WANTED: Recommendations for Building/Floor at Grand Floridian

My wife, older daughter, and I will be staying at the Grand Floridian over the Labor Day weekend. We have already paid for five nights in a garden view room. However, since this is my birthday trip, I have been tasked with choosing which building and floor type (upper or lower) to request.

We've never stayed at GF before, and I really know nothing about it other than it's supposed to be a spectacular resort. Rather than spending hours wracking my brain trying to compare all the different options, I would appreciate input from those who have stayed there before.

I'm not really particular about locations within a resort. I have no problems walking a farther distance if it means a nicer room/location. We paid for a garden view, but are there garden-view rooms that might have a partial view of the lake? Or views in the directions of MK, Epcot, or DS where you might catch a glimpse of the fireworks displays?

Let me know if there is any info you need from me to help make a recommendation. I'm not sure what I could tell you about our upcoming trip that would have any impact on a room recommendation, though. We plan to attend MNSSHP on Labor Day. We will be going in full costumes (me as Captain Jack Sparrow, my wife as Cinderella, and my daughter as Alice). So, we will need to get to and from MK in full costumes that one day. Again, not sure if/how that would affect room recommendations.

Thanks for any input!
RobbW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
My wife, older daughter, and I will be staying at the Grand Floridian over the Labor Day weekend. We have already paid for five nights in a garden view room. However, since this is my birthday trip, I have been tasked with choosing which building and floor type (upper or lower) to request.

We've never stayed at GF before, and I really know nothing about it other than it's supposed to be a spectacular resort. Rather than spending hours wracking my brain trying to compare all the different options, I would appreciate input from those who have stayed there before.

I'm not really particular about locations within a resort. I have no problems walking a farther distance if it means a nicer room/location. We paid for a garden view, but are there garden-view rooms that might have a partial view of the lake? Or views in the directions of MK, Epcot, or DS where you might catch a glimpse of the fireworks displays?

Let me know if there is any info you need from me to help make a recommendation. I'm not sure what I could tell you about our upcoming trip that would have any impact on a room recommendation, though. We plan to attend MNSSHP on Labor Day. We will be going in full costumes (me as Captain Jack Sparrow, my wife as Cinderella, and my daughter as Alice). So, we will need to get to and from MK in full costumes that one day. Again, not sure if/how that would affect room recommendations.

Thanks for any input!
The GF is a great resort and there are no bad rooms/buildings, IMO. The resort is pretty compact and although some outer buildings are closer to certain things than others, none of the buildings are far from the main areas. With that said, Big Pine Key and Boca Chica are my two favorites for GV. Both overlook the courtyard pool and are very convenient to the main building (monorail/shopping) and beach pool, and neither are too far from Gasparillas for quick CS meals/snacks. I will say, however, that Big Pine Key does have some "less desirable" views as some rooms look at the back of the pool house. If you request this building, I'd also request "4th floor or higher" to possibly avoid the pool house view. I'm not sure which buildings (if any) would offer a slight view of the fireworks from a GV room, but hopefully someone else will be able to give some information on that .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The GF is a great resort and there are no bad rooms/buildings, IMO. The resort is pretty compact and although some outer buildings are closer to certain things than others, none of the buildings are far from the main areas. With that said, Big Pine Key and Boca Chica are my two favorites for GV. Both overlook the courtyard pool and are very convenient to the main building (monorail/shopping) and beach pool, and neither are too far from Gasparillas for quick CS meals/snacks. I will say, however, that Big Pine Key does have some "less desirable" views as some rooms look at the back of the pool house. If you request this building, I'd also request "4th floor or higher" to possibly avoid the pool house view. I'm not sure which buildings (if any) would offer a slight view of the fireworks from a GV room, but hopefully someone else will be able to give some information on that .
I had one of those rooms with the back of the poolhouse view in Big Pine Key -- 2nd floor. Yes, the view was awful, but we never cared as we looked out, said "this stinks," and then went to the pool bar for a quick bite (aka mai tai) and off to the park we went. So, yes a "garden view" can be of the service are of the pool bar. However, on a previous trip we had a garden view in Sago Cay and the Garden view was that of the marina/courtyard -- a lovely view!

Best regards,

Tom
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I had one of those rooms with the back of the poolhouse view in Big Pine Key -- 2nd floor. Yes, the view was awful, but we never cared as we looked out, said "this stinks," and then went to the pool bar for a quick bite (aka mai tai) and off to the park we went.
Now that's looking on the bright side and making the best of that "less than desirable" view .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
abner1776
DIS Veteran

Have stayed at GF a number of times but always for a convention so my room assignments were always "basic." For sheer convenience sake you can't beat sago Bay simply for it's location....right next to Gasparillas for easy food access and really close to the bus and monorail. Sago Bay is also close to the dock for boat rentals, etc(not the dock for the boat to MK).

Sago Bay is a bit longer walk to the pools, but at the GF a longer walk is relative especially if you have stayed at OKW or SSR.

The GF is simply too small to have "distance" be an issue or factor in one's building decision.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now that's looking on the bright side and making the best of that "less than desirable" view .
It is amazing how a mai tai can brighten the day!

But seriously, we weren't there to look out the balcony. Yes, if it had been my first time at DW, or even my first time at GF I might have asked for a different room -- however, there are many more things that I enjoy such as Soarin -- my favorite ride there!

Tom
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Summertinkerbell
Earning My Ears

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by abner1776 View Post
Have stayed at GF a number of times but always for a convention so my room assignments were always "basic." For sheer convenience sake you can't beat sago Bay simply for it's location....right next to Gasparillas for easy food access and really close to the bus and monorail. Sago Bay is also close to the dock for boat rentals, etc(not the dock for the boat to MK).

Sago Bay is a bit longer walk to the pools, but at the GF a longer walk is relative especially if you have stayed at OKW or SSR.

The GF is simply too small to have "distance" be an issue or factor in one's building decision.
I am so happy to hear that we won't have to walk all over God's green earth to get from place to place at the GF. I remember the opposite when we stayed at the Caribbean 10 years ago. I had such terrible blisters.

I have a recent knee injury that will hopefully be much better by the time we travel. But with all of the walking already required on a Disney vacation, it is nice to know that we won't have to do a whole lot of unnecessary walking in our resort.

Thanks for the good news!

Summertinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
It is amazing how a mai tai can brighten the day!

But seriously, we weren't there to look out the balcony. Yes, if it had been my first time at DW, or even my first time at GF I might have asked for a different room -- however, there are many more things that I enjoy such as Soarin -- my favorite ride there!

Tom
I second that about the mai tai

I agree about not being there just to look out the balcony. I do love going out on the balcony early in the morning before everyone wakes up and then again late at night, but even then, that pool house view wouldn't bother me too much as it is possible to look left and/or right to see glimpses of other things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertinkerbell View Post
I am so happy to hear that we won't have to walk all over God's green earth to get from place to place at the GF. I remember the opposite when we stayed at the Caribbean 10 years ago. I had such terrible blisters.

I have a recent knee injury that will hopefully be much better by the time we travel. But with all of the walking already required on a Disney vacation, it is nice to know that we won't have to do a whole lot of unnecessary walking in our resort.

Thanks for the good news!
The GF is pretty compact and isn't as spread out as it might seem. None of the outer buildings are far from the main areas, so I think you will be fine .

Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Summertinkerbell
Earning My Ears

Talking

Quote:
I second that about the mai tai

I agree about not being there just to look out the balcony. I do love going out on the balcony early in the morning before everyone wakes up and then again late at night, but even then, that pool house view wouldn't bother me too much as it is possible to look left and/or right to see glimpses of other things .

The GF is pretty compact and isn't as spread out as it might seem. None of the outer buildings are far from the main areas, so I think you will be fine .

Best news ever!

Summertinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertinkerbell View Post

Best news ever!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: