Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

We loved the efficiency of Disney buses! It was awesome not having to drive anywhere while on vacation. Even when a bus took a little longer than normal to arrive, it was relaxing to us and we would chat about our plans for the day or what our favorite things were that day.

We stayed at CSR when we were there and I remember people saying how far away the resort was from everything but AK....TIME GOES BY SO FAST! What may be a 15 minute bus ride is very quick. We were closest to the first bus stop at CSR so once we boarded we had to stop at the others (3 others if I remember correctly). The drivers make it as fast as possible...they are good at what they do, so it's not like each stop takes 5 minutes. The only downside is when someone tries to board the bus with an ECV who isn't very good at driving it. It's not their fault, they look really difficult to drive into the bus because there is limited space to maneuver around. We stood on the bus back to the resort a couple of times so kids could sit down but didn't mind even though our feet were tired. We knew it would only be for 15 minutes. Also, at the end of a long park day it was great to just stand in another line waiting to board a bus than to try to find a rental car and then drive it to the resort.

We are staying at AKL next year which is even a little further from CSR so clearly we were pleased with the bus service! It was 95% fabulous when we were at CSR...the other 5% of the time there were glitches with a bus not being on its way to/from a park but problems were quickly fixed. I don't expect perfection either, so maybe that's why little issues didn't bother me.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

I hate the busses and try to avoid them at all costs but that's just me. They are nice busses, air conditioned and clean but I simply hate having to cram into one with standing room only. Even worse is waiting in line at the end of the night, wait longer for them to load a scooter and then you have to stand for umpteen minutes until you get home.

That aside, if you have kids and there is standing room only, someone usually gives up their seat or the driver will ask someone to. The stroller has to be folded and you have to hang onto it. On a past trip, my little cousin said the bus was her favorite ride in Disney World.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

Yes, and the AC works very well on them.
I would like to add that since it's very COLD inside and you are like me, sitting in the back of the bus helps a lot (I think the motor is closer that is why it is a bit warmer.

My husband and I are always trying to get those seats because we're not crazy about the A/C.

They are city bus but since you don't have to ride it more than 15-20 minutes (and that it the longest time it took us), it's confortable.

Sometimes you might have to stand up, not as confortable but really not that bad.

October 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Upcoming November 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
Lol the question mark after mentioning not sharing was totally a typo but it's nice to hear that it's correct

We use public buses at home and DS2 especially likes them. With 3 adults and one toddler we will luckily be able to manage him and the stroller well I think. It's an umbrella with a shoulder strap.

We will have the car if we decide after a day that we hate the buses
If you use public buses at home, it should be very different than what you already know.

At home, the bus I take every day is always packed (like sardines), 9/10 I have to stand up and we don't even have A/C in busses.

So... to me Disney Transportation is a breeze.

October 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Upcoming November 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie2hotty View Post

I've also had fun on a Disney bus. Had many very nice small chats with people from around the country and world. Listened to many a funny conversation between an excited small child and their siblings or parents. Watched many a small child having the time of their life because they were in WDW. I was on a very packed bus once at the end of the night. The radio was on and "Sweet Caroline" was playing. About 80% of the bus who were previously quiet and tired suddenly broke out into the chorus of the song. It was really funny. We were all there to do the same thing: enjoy everything that Disney has to offer with the most amount of fun as possible.
Where's my LIKE button?

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Sherrkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #21
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie2hotty View Post
Buses is all I've ever used to travel while in WDW.

Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to using the buses. I once listed to a woman complain the entire way from DTD to the Poly because the bus was crowded and she felt that since she was staying at a deluxe resort she somehow felt she shouldn't have to stand or be in a crowded bus.

Just be aware of exactly what the buses are: mass public transportation for getting as many guests to and from the parks as possible. Of course it will be crammed. Of course there will be rude people. Of course there will screaming children. Of course it could be slightly uncomfortable. But that is any public transportation.

I've also had fun on a Disney bus. Had many very nice small chats with people from around the country and world. Listened to many a funny conversation between an excited small child and their siblings or parents. Watched many a small child having the time of their life because they were in WDW. I was on a very packed bus once at the end of the night. The radio was on and "Sweet Caroline" was playing. About 80% of the bus who were previously quiet and tired suddenly broke out into the chorus of the song. It was really funny. We were all there to do the same thing: enjoy everything that Disney has to offer with the most amount of fun as possible.

Just remember the buses are just buses, not personal limo services.
Best answer so far!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the detailed responses.
Re: greyhound vs public bus I was most curious about capacity not comfort. I remember seeing them and they were big? Just curious as my DS loves bus rides and our public buses here are big but not greyhound big.

The car we will have us our personal car. I only live 3h away from WDW.

Someone mentioned it's a vacation for DH to get a break from driving..... US too!
DH is a driver for Schwan's so the buses give him a break from being behind the wheel for a week!

And driving/parking us always the most confusing/stressful part of a trip.. For both of us.

I think we will like them just fine.

Is there a central transport map?
I know we ride the bus to MK but I'm curious where it drops off?
When you drive, you take the monorail or boat into the park. Last trip we took we did the monorail and I'd really like to do the boat at least once while we are there. Does the bud drop off in a place for that to be possible?

Thanks everyone <3
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #23
ottawamom
Mouseketeer

The buses drop you off just outside the park. It is a 3 minute walk to the gate.

If you want to take the boat and the monorail you could always take the monorail over to the TTC and then take the boat back to the Magic Kingdom (purely for the ride fun) or vise-versa.

Just a thought.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there a central transport map?
Here you go.

http://www.wdwfocus.com/img/map/wdw-...t-map-full.png

Quote:
I know we ride the bus to MK but I'm curious where it drops off?
When you drive, you take the monorail or boat into the park. Last trip we took we did the monorail and I'd really like to do the boat at least once while we are there. Does the bud drop off in a place for that to be possible?

Thanks everyone <3
That's just another reason why we prefer the buses, you get dropped off right in front of each park. No need to get on a tram, boat, or monorail. But if you want to ride the boat or monorail, we like to take a break from the park and make the monorail loop and check out the other resorts. Or take a boat ride to Ft. Wilderness and check it out.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #25
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Is there a transport app that anyone might recommend? I'd like to plan out our transport routes ahead of time.

I suppose as long as I know the park closing or opening times I can know when each line stops running.

Looking at the map, it seems that the routes are loops, single directional so that's helpful.
It seems like I could take a bus from Poly to CSR, but as its the AK Line, I doubt it'll be running after 9 pm.

I could monorail back to MK but as MK will be closed at 7 that night, it looks like I should monorail to TTC, to Epcot, and then blue line to CSR.

Would that be right? The epcot bus will run as that'll be the late Park.

I just want to be sure I have the hang of this map.
The wdwinfo calculator showed no path for Poly to CSR.

lol can you tell I'm an over planner?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #26
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there a transport app that anyone might recommend? I'd like to plan out our transport routes ahead of time.

I suppose as long as I know the park closing or opening times I can know when each line stops running.

Looking at the map, it seems that the routes are loops, single directional so that's helpful.
It seems like I could take a bus from Poly to CSR, but as its the AK Line, I doubt it'll be running after 9 pm.

I could monorail back to MK but as MK will be closed at 7 that night, it looks like I should monorail to TTC, to Epcot, and then blue line to CSR.

Is MK closing at 7pm that night for MVMCP? If so the buses will keep running from MK until the wee hours.

You don't need to catch the monorail to TTC. You can catch a bus from Poly to Epcot and transfer to the CSR bus there. Assuming the MK buses aren't running anymore. You also have the option of catching a Taxi, probably $15-$20 including tip.
saskdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #27
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Closed for a CM Event as per someone here. Nothing listed on MVMCP Calendar.
Nov 17.

Good to know I can take the bus both legs. Part bus, part monorail may be nice too.

Is there a written/posted transport schedule or do they just come every few minutes.?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 AM   #28
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Closed for a CM Event as per someone here. Nothing listed on MVMCP Calendar.
Nov 17.

Good to know I can take the bus both legs. Part bus, part monorail may be nice too.

Is there a written/posted transport schedule or do they just come every few minutes.?
A bus for each destination is supposed to come every 20 mins. Buses do not go from resort to resort, only resort to park and park to resort. And there are some now that run park to park. They run 2 hours past park closing.

All you do is at the resort is go to the closest busstop and wait for the bus marked for your park of choice. At the parks there is a clearly marked stop for each resort.
saskdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

You're making this more complicated than it has to be. A few thoughts...there are no resort to resort buses. Just resort to parks and back to resorts. If you are at a resort, and need to get back to your resort, or any other resort, head to an open park and transfer. If you are at the Polynesian and need to get to CSR, you could bus to DTD and transfer there (very time consuming), heading to any park that is open and take the CSR bus there, or take a cab.
Transportation maps for WDW tend to be very confusing....but it's all fairly simple. If you have specific destination questions, head over to the Transportation board and ask away.....you'll get a ton of terrific info there.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #30
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
We once took the bus from Beach Club to MK. It took over 1/2 hour although that is a 5-minute drive. After that experience, we took cabs.

PS -- Seat comfort doesn't matter as you will be standing.
There's no way it's a 5 minute drive from BC to MK because it's about 7 miles.

And while standing is a possibility, it isn't a given.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: