Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Lowdown on Buses

Just curious, I've seen both opinions here.. some like the buses and some don't seem to.

I've never used Disney transportation so I wonder what they're like? Are they like city buses? Greyhounds?
Are they air conditioned?

What are the seats like? How many per row? Anyone have pictures?

We will be 3 adults and a toddler. Wondering how we'll end up sitting. I think CSR has it's own bus, so that's a plus?

Where does the stroller go?

I know CSR is in the AKR area so we will be on it for a fair bit. I intend to use it for most of our transportation.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Dano13
Mouseketeer

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCEQMygDMAM

If you Google disney buses interiors and go to images you will get some decent pictures. The buses are air conditioned and relatively comfortable. They can be very crowded at peak times however.
Dano13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
Just curious, I've seen both opinions here.. some like the buses and some don't seem to.

I've never used Disney transportation so I wonder what they're like? Are they like city buses? Greyhounds?
City buses

Quote:
Are they air conditioned?
Yes, and the AC works very well on them.

Quote:
What are the seats like? How many per row? Anyone have pictures?
If I remember correctly there are 2 seats on each side of the aisle, some facing sideways and 4 across in the very back. I don't remember how many rows and don't have any pictures.

Quote:
We will be 3 adults and a toddler. Wondering how we'll end up sitting. I think CSR has it's own bus, so that's a plus?.
It's always helpful to not have to share with other resorts.

Quote:
Where does the stroller go?
It will have to fold up and be held by one of you.

Quote:
I know CSR is in the AKR area so we will be on it for a fair bit. I intend to use it for most of our transportation.
We love taking the buses. Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano13
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCEQMygDMAM

If you Google disney buses interiors and go to images you will get some decent pictures. The buses are air conditioned and relatively comfortable. They can be very crowded at peak times however.
Google. Duh.
Sometimes I come right here without even thinking if looking it up. Lol
Thank you very much
+1 DIS for being my go-to
Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad

City buses

Yes, and the AC works very well on them.

If I remember correctly there are 2 seats on each side of the aisle, some facing sideways and 4 across in the very back. I don't remember how many rows and don't have any pictures.

It's always helpful to not have to share with other resorts.

It will have to fold up and be held by one of you.

We love taking the buses. Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
wendow
DIS Veteran

We have only traveled in low crowd times and still found the buses very crowded just b/c they are running less of them at that time. We have four kids with two still in strollers and we have been on Disney buses so packed that two of our kids were at one end of the bus and us at another. We each had a little one on our lap and balancing a folded up stroller trying to keep it out of people's way.

The buses aren't awful and they are decently comfortable (seats and temp) but we were completely unprepared the first time we went for the length of time you are on the bus, how many stops they make, how many people they pack on them and how many seats are lost if an ECV needs to be put on. So, just telling it to you straight

It is very, very good not to have to share with other resorts!

me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Lol the question mark after mentioning not sharing was totally a typo but it's nice to hear that it's correct

We use public buses at home and DS2 especially likes them. With 3 adults and one toddler we will luckily be able to manage him and the stroller well I think. It's an umbrella with a shoulder strap.

We will have the car if we decide after a day that we hate the buses
Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

My answer to "Should I take a Disney bus?"

No, take a taxi.

I hate the buses. Noisy and crowded with people hauling on kids and strollers. Plus, with stops at several resorts and long waits between buses, they are truly slow boats to China. We once took the bus from Beach Club to MK. It took over 1/2 hour although that is a 5-minute drive. After that experience, we took cabs.

PS -- Seat comfort doesn't matter as you will be standing.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

I have been to CSR twice over the last several years and in my opinion their bus system is pretty good. CSR guests are a mix of convention goers and park goers . . . the convention folks don't go to the parks during the peak times, which is a great advantage to the regular guests resulting in less crowded buses. That being said, there have been a few times of standing room only, not many (we usually travel mid- to - end of February during peak - to- non peak time).
CSR does not share buses with other resorts; however, if I remember correctly one of the routes stops by Blizzard Beach across the street (BB being open during the times I went). I recommend taking a stroller that you can easy open and close; you will have to keep it with you on the bus.
Also, they only have four internal bus stops , which is a plus.
At least you have the option of your rental car if you find you don't prefer the buses!

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Sherrkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
ronnie2hotty
Evil Dr. Porkchop

Buses is all I've ever used to travel while in WDW.

Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to using the buses. I once listed to a woman complain the entire way from DTD to the Poly because the bus was crowded and she felt that since she was staying at a deluxe resort she somehow felt she shouldn't have to stand or be in a crowded bus.

Just be aware of exactly what the buses are: mass public transportation for getting as many guests to and from the parks as possible. Of course it will be crammed. Of course there will be rude people. Of course there will screaming children. Of course it could be slightly uncomfortable. But that is any public transportation.

I've also had fun on a Disney bus. Had many very nice small chats with people from around the country and world. Listened to many a funny conversation between an excited small child and their siblings or parents. Watched many a small child having the time of their life because they were in WDW. I was on a very packed bus once at the end of the night. The radio was on and "Sweet Caroline" was playing. About 80% of the bus who were previously quiet and tired suddenly broke out into the chorus of the song. It was really funny. We were all there to do the same thing: enjoy everything that Disney has to offer with the most amount of fun as possible.

Just remember the buses are just buses, not personal limo services.
ronnie2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
epcotmexicopavilion
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie2hotty View Post
Buses is all I've ever used to travel while in WDW.

Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to using the buses. I once listed to a woman complain the entire way from DTD to the Poly because the bus was crowded and she felt that since she was staying at a deluxe resort she somehow felt she shouldn't have to stand or be in a crowded bus.

Just be aware of exactly what the buses are: mass public transportation for getting as many guests to and from the parks as possible. Of course it will be crammed. Of course there will be rude people. Of course there will screaming children. Of course it could be slightly uncomfortable. But that is any public transportation.

I've also had fun on a Disney bus. Had many very nice small chats with people from around the country and world. Listened to many a funny conversation between an excited small child and their siblings or parents. Watched many a small child having the time of their life because they were in WDW. I was on a very packed bus once at the end of the night. The radio was on and "Sweet Caroline" was playing. About 80% of the bus who were previously quiet and tired suddenly broke out into the chorus of the song. It was really funny. We were all there to do the same thing: enjoy everything that Disney has to offer with the most amount of fun as possible.

Just remember the buses are just buses, not personal limo services.
Perfect response.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
jacknsally19
Mouseketeer

If you are used to public transportation at home, you will find the buses totally fine. Actually, the buses are better than public transportation because usually everyone is so nice on the buses! Its really fun having conversations with different people during the bus ride and sharing your experience. If you have a little one, they tend to instantly make friends on the buses.

Personally, I think people that really hate the buses are not accustomed to public transportation and/or really love their car. I live in the city and don't own a car so I'm a big fan of public transportation!
jacknsally19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
mybestieismickey
DIS Veteran

The buses are buses. Sometimes you get a seat, sometimes you don't. It's luck of the draw based on your spot in line, if there is a great demand for a bus at the time, and if there are any ECVs waiting. If an actual seat is important to you, you may have to wait for more than one bus during the busier times of day.

We are bus people. DH spends a good part of his workday driving and he does most of the driving (like 99%) whenever we go anywhere. He likes the break and says it's more like vacation for him. Kinda how it's not vacation for me if I have to cook. So we ride the bus and always make sure to pack our patience.

If you don't mind driving, I would take the car. So much faster. I have considered renting a car and volunteering to drive, but the reality would be that he would end up doing it because he knows how much I hate driving.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
cleverdisneyname
Earning My Ears

We always use the buses. We don't move our car once we get there unless the husband needs to go to the gas station for cigarettes. We like not having to drive bc disney property can be confusing to navigate, IMO. In our experiences, the buses have been less crowded than the monorail. We stayed at CSR in April and the buses were great. Our son loves the buses so much that he would probably be content to just ride them all day instead of going to the parks lol!
cleverdisneyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
ryggmom
Earning My Ears

After driving our first 2 trips to WDW, we finally used the bus system our last trip in 2012, since we were flying. The kids loved it! Loved the music they play driving into the parks, and arriving back at OKW every day. I was travelling alone with 3 kids, and it was rarely crowded enough that we had to stand. If we did, my oldest and I would stand, me holding the stroller, and the 2 little ones would curl up together in a seat and fall asleep!

Never thought I would like the bus there, but we loved all the transportation--it was part of the fun! We did not do nighttime shows, however, so I am sure it would be SRO on all the buses at night. I'm also sure it can vary by resort--many more families probably drive to the parks from OKW, because parking is right outside the villas.

June 2015 YC/SOG/Uni.
June 2012 OKW
December 2008 WL
October 2006 OKW
ryggmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: