Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #46
ahoyle
Mouseketeer

Count me as one that hopes to see this in my lifetime!

Although, after this past Saturday at Epcot, where Test Track broke down without us being able to ride (after designing our car), then Mission Space broke down for 5 minutes while we were on it, they might need to allocate some of that money to maintenance on their only big rides at Epcot.
ahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Given what we've seen thus far my gut tells me that the best we can expect is:

1) An expanded gift shop (probably the one you're dumped into after Star Tours).

2) A themed restaurant (probably a refurbished Backlot Express) in a similar vein of Be our Guest that will have Fast Pass Plus and regularly booked solid six months out.

3) Indiana Jones will be cleaned out in favor of a Fantasmic-type show with a Star Wars theme.

4) The Fantasmic-type show will be augmented with 'something special' during Star Wars Weekends and will become a hard ticket event.

Last edited by wallrock; 08-12-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Edit to Add: Not sure why I thought of SpectroMagic, I meant Fantasmic
wallrock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #48
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock View Post

1) An expanded gift shop (probably the one you're dumped into after Star Tours).

2) A themed restaurant (probably a refurbished Backlot Express) in a similar vein of Be our Guest that will have Fast Pass Plus and regularly booked solid six months out.

3) Indiana Jones will be cleaned out in favor of a Fantasmic-type show with a Star Wars theme.

4) The Fantasmic-type show will be augmented with 'something special' during Star Wars Weekends and will become a hard ticket event.
Come on, now...this is serious!

(I tend to believe everything you say and would put the money on black if I had to...but nonetheless)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #49
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock

5) Another Dunno ride

6) A display of artifacts and props from the films
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report DOA
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #50
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
5) Another Dunno ride
if you believe jim hill...this has already been "green lit"

i'm gonna write a treatment for a book and submit it to Hyperion...

anyone read the book "Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak"?
(i'm guessing quite a few here have)

I'm gonna write an homage to spinners and call it one of two working titles:

"The Disney Spinners: Ehhh...Whatever"

or

"The Disney Spinners: Imagineering the Wildwood, NJ Way"
(second is a tribute to the bold move of installing not one...but TWO spinners in 2002 during a crushing change/halt to travel patterns - Magic Carpets and Triceratop Spin - Thanks, Mikey, Al)

what do ya think?

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #51
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
5) Another Dunno ride

6) A display of artifacts and props from the films

7) A Darth Vader ice cream bar

8) A Star Wars themed bathroom, known as 'The Death Star Throne Room'
Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #52
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Not sure why everyone thinks they will half-a&& a Star Wars Expansion, the last two major Disney Refurbs (Carsland and New Fantasyland) were certainly some of the best theming and attraction design Disney's ever done, and the third (Pandora) looks to possibly beat both of those.

Now concern that they could take 6 years to do it, now that's more realistic. Nothing seems to move quickly with Disney. BUT, I would argue it won't be that slow. With Pandora they made an announcement before they'd even put pen to paper. A Major expansion takes at least 2 years to design. My guess is the DHS/Star Wars work has been underway for at least a year. I think you'll see an announcement, and then shovels in the ground almost immediately. Yeah, we're still probably talking 2018 if they are announcing in 2015.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #53
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
if you believe jim hill...this has already been "green lit"

i'm gonna write a treatment for a book and submit it to Hyperion...

anyone read the book "Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak"?
(i'm guessing quite a few here have)

I'm gonna write an homage to spinners and call it one of two working titles:

"The Disney Spinners: Ehhh...Whatever"

or

"The Disney Spinners: Imagineering the Wildwood, NJ Way"
(second is a tribute to the bold move of installing not one...but TWO spinners in 2002 during a crushing change/halt to travel patterns - Magic Carpets and Triceratop Spin - Thanks, Mikey, Al)

what do ya think?
What about - "Disney Spinners: How We Train Our College Interns...."

clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #54
clsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Not sure why everyone thinks they will half-a&& a Star Wars Expansion, the last two major Disney Refurbs (Carsland and New Fantasyland) were certainly some of the best theming and attraction design Disney's ever done, and the third (Pandora) looks to possibly beat both of those.

Now concern that they could take 6 years to do it, now that's more realistic. Nothing seems to move quickly with Disney. BUT, I would argue it won't be that slow. With Pandora they made an announcement before they'd even put pen to paper. A Major expansion takes at least 2 years to design. My guess is the DHS/Star Wars work has been underway for at least a year. I think you'll see an announcement, and then shovels in the ground almost immediately. Yeah, we're still probably talking 2018 if they are announcing in 2015.
It would be great if you're right. But, it would be a strategic shift for them to have 2 major construction projects running concurrently. It would also mean just a 12 month period between openings. You would expect they would want at least a 2 year spread between openings so as not to dilute the buzz and uplift from the Pandora Grand Opening. That also assumes that SW will be more than just retrofits of existing infrastructure and truly a "dirt moving" Project. A lot still to learn on this.

One thing for sure, Disney are the masters of creating buzz and excitement just by announcing the date of the announcement where they will announce that they are doing something. They are genius at managing expectations and excitement, by using the full Project Life Cycle. Amazing....

Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #55
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Because Disney isn't known for using a lot of their intellectual property movie-wise for major projects. The fact that Avatarland is going on now is a testament to that. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I think the only reason Avatar is being done is because James Cameron and company are forking over the majority of the cost to construct.

I'll agree that Carsland is impressive, but I wouldn't put New Fantasyland into that category. It's nice, but no where near 'best theming that Disney's ever done'.

As mentioned above I also hope your right, but history and recent behavior isn't on your side.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #56
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Recent history is my prime concern...

And with all due respect...fantasyland - now that I've taken a couple of spins on the dwarf coaster (still trying to figure out what's "innovative" about the design)...is basically an elaborate overhaul that the OLD Disney could have completed in 2 years flat...lets not BS
Cars had little budget restraints because they were suffering an actual financial loss due to steep attendance drops at DCA...they had no choice. The timeframe and lack of clear direction in avatar has been a complete joke.

If I am too critical of what they do...and I am...
Then you are giving a 500 billion dollar company way too much benefit of the doubt/searching for praise.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #57
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsteve View Post

What about - "Disney Spinners: How We Train Our College Interns...."
Their real "training" goes on at Vista Way

Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #58
IamJBo
Mouseketeer

Quote:

8) A Star Wars themed bathroom, known as 'The Death Star Throne Room'
I would wait in line to use this bathroom.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #59
clsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Their real "training" goes on at Vista Way
Hah!

That explains the big chunk in one of the new Dumbos when they first installed them.....

Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #60
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I think the only reason Avatar is being done is because James Cameron and company are forking over the majority of the cost to construct.
I've had very "spirited discussions" about this very thing on this board for 3 years...

The Disney "stalwarts"... Shall we say...swear that there is no favorable financial arrangements on this project...

Shenanigans...that was the ONLY way this ever made sense.

From accounts it seems that Cameron has been going door to door around Hollywood peddling this IP for decades...and even after he managed to cgi his way to a billion dollar box office - he still can't get people lining up to take it further...

That is impossible in today's Hollywood climate. They green lit a ninja turtles sequel on a terrible movie 5 days after release...

I thinks that Cameron is financing up front cost, long term cost (what Disney is really after), concessions on marketing, or leasing the IP for free...

Perhaps a combination of all of the above.

Disney knows when they've got a marketable product...they paid 6 billion for the Skywalker and Indiana Jones...

Avatar is NOT that product...there is no loyal fanbase or conventioneers to speak of...there are no lucrative merchandise tie ins.

Disney is "allowing" construction in a lagging park...but they are not gonna do it with exploiting the weaknesses of the avatar product...don't be fooled.

The potential is that the IP can integrate very well with animal kingdom (I'm not disputing that)...
But it's a weak franchise (that's not even an accurate description based on ZERO staying power) and the cash registers aren't going to ring away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: