Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #31
Silock
DIS Veteran

I just hope they get it done before I die, and I'm only 33.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #32
Scottishbrit
Mouseketeer

Although Im sure it will be I Florida ( DHS ) Im holding out hopes they will do SOMETHING In California! We only have the 2 parks which Disneyland in general NEEDS help. There's just NO room! And just about everything needs some major updating!

Scottishbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #33
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishbrit View Post
Although Im sure it will be I Florida ( DHS ) Im holding out hopes they will do SOMETHING In California! We only have the 2 parks which Disneyland in general NEEDS help. There's just NO room! And just about everything needs some major updating!
You're the first person I've seen here, to mention that Disneyland needs some major updating - adding some Star Wars stuff there could be the answer.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #34
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
You're the first person I've seen here, to mention that Disneyland needs some major updating - adding some Star Wars stuff there could be the answer.
Yep after all the work on DCA recently I don't think the California resort needs as much help as DHS needs in FL. A few things need updates in CA such as a Captain EO replacement, replacement for Innoventions and general updates (such as was done to Alice). Also the only bit on DCA that still doesn't feel right is the Mad T party corner. I expect any expansion of DCA will be Marvel based, but Tommorowland could have another Star Wars attraction to compliment Star Tours.

Obviously DHS can't have a Marvel attraction so a Star Wars land exclusive to that park would be great (similar to Cars Land being exclusive to DCA).
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
disneygeek87
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork View Post
As much as I'd like a 5th gate I just can't see it. Id be shocked if Star Wars wasn't a hollywood studios addition.
I absolutely agree. There is too much improvement needed at DHS to justify a 5th gate at this point. I am excited to see what plans they have for bringing Star Wars in, though. Expanding on the current theming surrounding Star Tours would make for a really cool land!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #36
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishbrit View Post
I think it's funny to bring up DLR, which has certainly had a lot more focus over the last 5 years than WDW with all the fixes in DCA. Our first two trips ever to DLR were 2012 and 2013, so it's hard to say from that point of view what really needs updating, but I thought the only part that REALLY needs help out there is Tomorrowland. Other than the awesome Space Mountain, the rest was in sad shape. OK, Star Tours and Astro Blasters were fine, but had no outdoors presence at all. The rest of the area looks run-down and is overcrowded with the stupid placement of Astro Orbitor and the dead peoplemover track in the middle of the walkway.

The rumor out of Anaheim is they are looking at an overhaul of Tomorrowland that would basically convert it to "Star Wars Land", which may be disappointing to fans of the Tomorrowland concept, but it is much needed.

I think that should Star Wars movies/merchandising be successful, you will see a big time push on both coasts for Star Wars. Talking at least 2 new rides per coast and new attractions/dining as well.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
The rumor out of Anaheim is they are looking at an overhaul of Tomorrowland that would basically convert it to "Star Wars Land", which may be disappointing to fans of the Tomorrowland concept, but it is much needed.
ALongTimeAgoLand? ALongTimeAgoInAGalaxyFarFarAwayLand?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #38
DrummerDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
ALongTimeAgoLand? ALongTimeAgoInAGalaxyFarFarAwayLand?
This is what screams out in my head every time I read anything about Star Wars in Tomorrow land.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #39
DrummerDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Other than the awesome Space Mountain, the rest was in sad shape. OK, Star Tours and Astro Blasters were fine, but had no outdoors presence at all. The rest of the area looks run-down and is overcrowded with the stupid placement of Astro Orbitor and the dead peoplemover track in the middle of the walkway.
That area is such a bottleneck for people it is not funny. Even if they moved Astro Orbiter, they still have the narrow area between Buzz and Star Tours. I think they keep the peoplmover track up for the shade
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #40
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

If they add it to dhs I would really like to see them expand outside the current park's borders. I know it won't happen, but I don't think closing existing attractions and shoehorning it into an existing part of the park will do it justice.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

Last edited by MaxsDad; 08-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #41
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I do like what DHS has currently and I do not want to see them close anything that is open at the moment either. So I too hope they expand the park and do this right without them closing existing attractions.

DHS desperately needs this
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #42
Networth
It all started with a mouse...or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
It boggles the mind to imagine how badly Disney is going to end up botching this.
Yeah because the redo of Star Tours is just awful...not

Disney may not have done many things great recently but Star Wars will be one of those exceptions. Iger smells money which typically means he we will allocate more resources and greater creative control, so the Imagineers will get all they want to make Star Wars great. If Disney does Star Wars right your talking about something to dwarf Harry Potter and Iger knows it as does the rest of Disney. That doesn't even include the new movies coming down the pipeline. If Abrams does to Star Wars to what he has done to Star Trek your talking about an entire reboot/rebirth of one if not the largest franchise in history.

Next “official" Trip: 12/12/14-12/20/14 Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #43
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Since Disney is taking its time, I'm confident it will be a success.
or perhaps they are just drawing it out to try and suck the life out of the old stuff?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #44
dgmckee
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post
If they add it to dhs I would really like to see them expand outside the current park's borders. I know it won't happen, but I don't think closing existing attractions and shoehorning it into an existing part of the park will do it justice.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android
Reading through this thread and seeing so many comments about this likely going to DHS (for it's presence in WDW any ways) I was vaguely remembering something about space constraints on the size of DHS. Is that what you mean by the above in bold? It would be a shame if DHS wasn't expanded for this effort. A 5th park would probably be a mistake but so too would be a half-measure approach.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #45
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmckee View Post
Reading through this thread and seeing so many comments about this likely going to DHS (for it's presence in WDW any ways) I was vaguely remembering something about space constraints on the size of DHS. Is that what you mean by the above in bold? It would be a shame if DHS wasn't expanded for this effort. A 5th park would probably be a mistake but so too would be a half-measure approach.
I do think the original poster is referring to the space restraints of the park, though to me that is not really much of an issue. However, this is the one park that really could be re-habbed without expansion. Think about the HUGE amount of space used for the (awful shell of a) Backlot tour, the LMA Stunt Show and the Streets of America alone. You could close this whole back section of the park off and gut it completely, adding many rides and attractions without having to increase the park footprint. Not even mentioning the American Idol Theater, and that other theater used for Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous. And some dead space in the back of Pixar Place.

God, the more I think about it, that park is such a total mess.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: