Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
apainterxx44
Mouseketeer

I think it's pretty smart (and im sure it was planned) that Disney let Universal have WWOHP without saying much. Then once everything was completed Disney is going to go after an even larger and widely loved franchise.

Disney Execs: Universal imma let WWOHP finish but....

Me 23 DBF Roy 27

apainterxx44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Odelay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
Why? I doubt a Star Wars expansion will ever occur quick enough for the jaded DIS fans, but I think Disney has been and will be uber conservative with Star Wars... not rushing to put something out, but when they do it will be amazing and highest quality. Disney's attention to theming details is legendary, and there is so much raw material to work with... I cannot imagine that they would boggle this golden egg... or even if it is 'botchable'.
Based on the time invested versus the actual product quality, Fantasy Land expansion is a pretty good example of how badly Disney can drop the ball on a project.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
ninarobin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by apainterxx44 View Post
I think it's pretty smart (and im sure it was planned) that Disney let Universal have WWOHP without saying much. Then once everything was completed Disney is going to go after an even larger and widely loved franchise.

Disney Execs: Universal imma let WWOHP finish but....

.....but Disney has one of the greatest franchises of all time! (Go Star Wars!)
ninarobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
ludari
DIS Veteran

I am excited about this news. It just can't happen fast enough for me.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #20
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc3rid View Post
If it is going to be done right, it will not be done that quickly.

In addition, Star Wars is also likely going to have a presence in Disneyland as well so there is likely to be some lag between capital project expenditures because of the hopeful price tags for these.

That said, DHS desperately needs a real draw, not a temporary thrown together draw... Something substantial that will make them want me to spend a day at DHS and not go to UOR.
I agree DHS needs a big draw but they also need to time it right, they announced Avatar so far in advance of construction starting everyone will lose interest by the time its done. Diagon Alley wasn't firmly announced until a year or so before opening and actual construction only took 2 and a half years (Jaws closed January 2012).
If Disney have the plans ready for Star Tours I would hope they can get it open for 2017 at the latest, but they should avoid announcing details until 2015 at the earliest, leave some things secret so surprises can happen.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

The most amusing part of this:

Iger essentially made a "pre-announcement".

"I am letting you know that sometime next year we'll be announcing new Star Wars attractions in the theme parks. Our next announcement will be an announcement on when we will schedule the official announcement."

(Of course, then before the ACTUAL announcement, it will all leak on the internet and we'll already know about it.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

They should take Stich escape and turn it into Darth Vader breaking out. I haven't thought beyond that, but I bet you could make an awesome story and better ride.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
The most amusing part of this: Iger essentially made a "pre-announcement". "I am letting you know that sometime next year we'll be announcing new Star Wars attractions in the theme parks. Our next announcement will be an announcement on when we will schedule the official announcement." (Of course, then before the ACTUAL announcement, it will all leak on the internet and we'll already know about it.)
I know and this will probably be the last big thing he does before he retires. I also think the actual announcement won't come until later in the year because they want it to be close with the new movie.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Based on the time invested versus the actual product quality, Fantasy Land expansion is a pretty good example of how badly Disney can drop the ball on a project.
I don't think they dropped the ball it was originally supposed to be a big meet and greet area basically. Originally there was no mine train it was a sleeping beauty area and a tinker bell area.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I know and this will probably be the last big thing he does before he retires. I also think the actual announcement won't come until later in the year because they want it to be close with the new movie.
It occurs to me they will likely hold it for D23. They got a lot of grief last year for having no Disney Parks presence at D23. There will be a ton of Star Wars stuff there (I would expect the cast of the new movie, and probably the first full trailer to premiere there.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #26
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

I expect that just after the nhype over the new Harry Potter changes die out that Disney will bring Star Wars to Hollywood Studios.

Star Wars has many more fans going back to the original movie.

BTW Why do so many people come to Disboards to bash every change Disney makes? If you don't like Disney and the way they run their park why are you constantly following the message board about the park?
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Although I didn't expect any details with this announcement everyone should take notice that the comments don't specify that Orlando is getting anything. Something may very well come to Florida (hopefully), but Iger stated 'the parks'. Let's hope it's not just Anaheim or Shanghai.

Let's also hope that if something comes to Orlando it doesn't take a decade to build.
wallrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock View Post
Although I didn't expect any details with this announcement everyone should take notice that the comments don't specify that Orlando is getting anything. Something may very well come to Florida (hopefully), but Iger stated 'the parks'. Let's hope it's not just Anaheim or Shanghai.

Let's also hope that if something comes to Orlando it doesn't take a decade to build.
I'll say this, if its not a big presense at WDW, then Iger made a massive mistake.

WDW is due for something big, bigger than Avatar. They aren't going to open a 5th gate anytime soon, and they shouldn't, but if you think about it, between 1971 and 1998, Disney opened 4 parks in Orlando. Its been 16 years since the last park opened and some of the parks are starting to get stale. It's time for a make over, it's time for something big to happen.

If it's not Star Wars, then I have very little faith that Disney is ever going to do anything with WDW. Personally, I think Star Wars is coming to DHS, and I want to see a billion plus spent on it, and done correctly.

This is Disney's chance to wow people, lets hope they do it.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #29
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
It occurs to me they will likely hold it for D23. They got a lot of grief last year for having no Disney Parks presence at D23. There will be a ton of Star Wars stuff there (I would expect the cast of the new movie, and probably the first full trailer to premiere there.)
I agree and at the last D23 they teased Star Wars and avatar, the only thing that was for sure at that point was avatar. There wasn't any announcements at D23 really just teasers of all things coming.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #30
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock View Post

Well as of right now, there are no rumors for a big presence of star wars in Shanghai but, Anaheim and WDW do have lots of rumors floating around. Latest I have heard about Anaheim is once the 60th celebration is done or near the end tomorrow land is getting lots of star wars.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: