Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
tng123
Mouseketeer

Can you still get the dining plan if you stay at the Dolphin?
tng123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng123 View Post
Can you still get the dining plan if you stay at the Dolphin?
No, you can't.
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999DoomBuggies View Post
does the dolphin actually have cast members working on site? Where do we pick up our magic bands if we book with dolphin but then buy tix through disney?

thanks
They have their own cast members, Disney style name badges and all. And every bit as helpful and smiling. Bands are paid for and picked up in the Disney gift shops.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
999DoomBuggies
Mouseketeer

Alright, so I booked the dolphin and now I am having second thoughts. I have heard that since i have young children i need to be at POR. We have stayed at POR and it was good, just felt very spread out and the theming was alright.

Is the dolphin seriously just a standard convention hotel with easy access to parks? Help what should we do?

Again prices are identical after all fees, we do not need airport transportation, or to charge to our current magic bands.
999DoomBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #20
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I never thought of the Dolphin as a standard convention hotel. I consider it and the Swan quite unique in fact.

I personally love POR but I would have stayed at the Swalphin for a good price no matter what age DS was.

Have you been to the resort? http://www.swandolphin.com/gallery/index.html
Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

the pools at Swan Dolphin are WAY better than POR your kids are going to love it! And I love Picabus for an easy dinner when we're tired
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
999DoomBuggies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I never thought of the Dolphin as a standard convention hotel. I consider it and the Swan quite unique in fact.

I personally love POR but I would have stayed at the Swalphin for a good price no matter what age DS was.

Have you been to the resort? http://www.swandolphin.com/gallery/index.html
never been to swan or the dolphin. Someone suggested booking POR and visiting swan and dolphin this time to see if we want to book next time. I am totally unsure right now. There is a certain "magic" for kids in the POR rooms but they also seem like dorm arrangements and we feel pretty isolated.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

The Dolphin is a great location and the pool area is terrific. It is adjacent to the boardwalk, so you have the entertainment there, too. How much time do you stay at your hotel? I think there are more options at the Dolphin and surrounding areas. Best of luck in your decision!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I love both, for different reasons. POR is an incredibly beautiful resort...it was our first WDW resort back in '99 whe it was Dixie Landings. But...it is spread out. Stayed there in June and we were way back in the Mansion section! That can be remedied by booking a preferred room.
The Dolphin is huge. I have had some very convoluted walks back to my room, so I would ask for a room a bit closer to the elevators if at all possible. No, there isn't a lot of 'Disneyfication' happening there, but the gift shop has plenty of Disney stuff! And the pool is wonderful! Your kids will love the pool....one of my favorite pools at WDW.
I think you'll be happy at the Dolphin. The food options there are very good....Picabu, on the ground level, is terrific. The ability to walk, or boat, to DHS and Epcot is wonderful!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

Dolphin, hands down. I'd always choose a deluxe over a lesser level resort. And you can WALK (or take the boat) to Epcot and DHS. AND you've got the Boardwalk and all those fabulous resort restaurants right at your fingertips. No contest....Dolphin all the way!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
999DoomBuggies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&Lfan View Post
Dolphin, hands down. I'd always choose a deluxe over a lesser level resort. And you can WALK (or take the boat) to Epcot and DHS. AND you've got the Boardwalk and all those fabulous resort restaurants right at your fingertips. No contest....Dolphin all the way!
personal question, do you have kiddos or have been to the dolphin as a kid? To be honest we visit parks from open to close every single day of our visit and we have yet to take an afternoon break. This will likely be the case for this trip.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #27
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at the Swan, Dolphin, and POR (all in recent years). Sorry if I missed it in another post, but have you ever stayed in the Epcot resorts area (at the BC, YC or BW)? If you have, then you know whether or not that area is something that you really like. If you haven't, then you really should give it a try because we personally find it awesome! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to walk or boat to both Epcot and HS. I love the Boardwalk area, especially at night. Our kids are fairly young (11 and 7) and we stayed at the Dolphin for the first time when they were 8 and 4. They loved it. I think their preference would be the Dolphin over POR just because there's more action and we're so close to everything.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #28
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Doesn’t sound like you were blown away by POR. We’ve stayed at POR twice and it’s great for various reasons, but POR lacks the big “in your face” Disney theming that even the value resorts like POP or AoA offer. The buses at POR can also be a hassle, with the multiple stops.

The huge benefit IMO to the Dolphin and Swan is the location. That entire Boardwalk, lagoon area is so fantastic. Lots to see around there with super easy access to HS and Epcot. I might consider the Swan or Dolphin for next year depending on what Disney is offering for onsite resort guests (i.e. free dining). I just love the feel of that whole area around the Swan/Dolphin/Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk.

Dan
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #29
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

For easy access to EPCOT and HS, then I would stay at the Dolphin. You will still be right in the heart of Disney. I hear the resort is great!

POR is also a great resort, the boat to DTD is great and the resort as a whole is very nice.

Enjoy!

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #30
SwanVT2
Mouseketeer

I would stay at the Dolphin/Swan. My DH and I have stayed there many times and are saving to bring our DD (2) there. They have a great kiddie pool in a shaded area, fabulous cabana bar at the pool (think Nordstom cafe food quality...if you have ever eaten there), a sandy area with a seal who sprays water out of his nose that the kids can play under, a playground, lots of kid-friendly eating at Picabu, and the kids will love the large water fountain outside the Dolphin. The Dolphin and Swan lit up at night are pretty "magical." The beds are so comfy! I don't think you will have regrets. Plus they serve Starbucks coffee and have refillable mugs. That is a great combination!
SwanVT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: