Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #46
MadToad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015 View Post
Rather than Fast Pass, the India pavilion will be based on the Caste System with Guests staying in Deluxe resorts getting their curry served first, and the lowly Value resort guests getting the leftover scraps.

Kidding aside, population alone isn't a good enough reason for a country to make the cut in WS. Norway is a fascinating first-world country with rich history and traditions, which the current pavilion does an excellent job of conveying to its guests. India, while a fascinating country in its own right, is probably most well known for its unyielding poverty, caste system and unequal treatment of women. I highly doubt that Disney wants to touch any of that with a 10 foot pole, nor do I think that "serving good curry" is enough of a selling point to overlook these atrocities.

Up next for debate... North Korea, Cuba and Syria

When I think of India, I think of food, dancing, and outsourced jobs. The restaurant and dance shows could be amazing, but the true gold lies in the outsourced jobs. Think of being strapped into a roller coaster themed as a desk; it races through an office complex into HR where you experience dizzying loops and inversions, and the ride concludes at unemployment. Imagine the gift shop opportunities!
MadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #47
Andrew015
WL Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToad View Post
When I think of India, I think of food, dancing, and outsourced jobs. The restaurant and dance shows could be amazing, but the true gold lies in the outsourced jobs. Think of being strapped into a roller coaster themed as a desk; it races through an office complex into HR where you experience dizzying loops and inversions, and the ride concludes at unemployment. Imagine the gift shop opportunities!
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #48
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Since the culturally sensitive are hating on India, how about Brazil, then maybe there would be some good steak. And since we can only only consider current history in our decisions, that politically incorrect Viking undercurrent in Maelstrom should definitely be out. A Brazil pavilion would certainly please a growing contingent of guests.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #49
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
Since the culturally sensitive are hating on India, how about Brazil, then maybe there would be some good steak. And since we can only only consider current history in our decisions, that politically incorrect Viking undercurrent in Maelstrom should definitely be out. A Brazil pavilion would certainly please a growing contingent of guests.
Hmmmm...

That's not gonna score "politically correct" cred either.

From a social policy/human rights perspective...they don't make you proud either.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #50
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Hmmmm...

That's not gonna score "politically correct" cred either.

From a social policy/human rights perspective...they don't make you proud either.
Greece? Gyros? Is there anyplace pure enough that's not as boring as Norway?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #51
Dashzap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Greece? Gyros? Is there anyplace pure enough that's not as boring as Norway?
Norway isn't boring, but the pavilion in World Showcase was last month. I wish they'd add more real information about the country.

Last edited by Dashzap; 08-12-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarity
Dashzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #52
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would welcome a new Pavilion from any country Disney would put up.

As a person who loves EPCOT, I don't think it's for everyone. And that's OK. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some order vanilla. Whatever.

I'd be disappointed if they turned Maelstorm into a Frozen ride, but I'm sure they'd make it a good ride too. It's clear they're trying to secure every dollar that can be made on Frozen. I told my wife, they're selling Frozen 3D sets in Europe. Note: it's just DVD/bluray in the US; they have a plan for phase 2 of sales in the US market.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My first trip report! Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post51003637

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Fantasia79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #53
utlegaleagle
On a Pilgrimage to See a Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashzap View Post
Norway isn't boring, but the pavilion in World Showcase was last month. I wish they'd add more real information about the country.
Since Disney can't provide you with more real information about a real country, you'll have to settle for more fake information about a fake country.

DH 38 DW 37 DS 6 DS 4
utlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #54
ChadInOKC
Earning My Ears

I spoke to a lady on the phone from Disney and she said there were no planned rides being down during my trip in epcot. This is Nov 15-20. She also asked someone that she said would know and they had no idea of a Frozen ride takeover.
ChadInOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #55
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadInOKC View Post
I spoke to a lady on the phone from Disney and she said there were no planned rides being down during my trip in epcot. This is Nov 15-20. She also asked someone that she said would know and they had no idea of a Frozen ride takeover.
When you call disney those are front line CMs they don't know these things. Yes it isn't on the refurb calendar, yes is hasn't been confirmed by disney. Doesn't mean that disney can't magically start a refurb even tho nothing has been said yet. There are no FPs for this attraction past September 27th. Something is up.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #56
jlynnACK
Caught up in the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasia79 View Post
I would welcome a new Pavilion from any country Disney would put up.

As a person who loves EPCOT, I don't think it's for everyone. And that's OK. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some order vanilla. Whatever.

I'd be disappointed if they turned Maelstorm into a Frozen ride, but I'm sure they'd make it a good ride too. It's clear they're trying to secure every dollar that can be made on Frozen. I told my wife, they're selling Frozen 3D sets in Europe. Note: it's just DVD/bluray in the US; they have a plan for phase 2 of sales in the US market.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
We would miss Maelstrom, too. It's just one of those things that we do every trip - classic Epcot.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #57
bricgray
Earning My Ears

Finally one departure that changes nothing for us
bricgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #58
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnACK View Post

We would miss Maelstrom, too. It's just one of those things that we do every trip - classic Epcot.
We took our two kids on it in July...after not being on it myself in probably 12-15 years...
And it was really, really unimpressive.

The boat ride in Mexico and the French movie are far more entertaining...

But I have to admit, the classic animatronic rides don't seem to be in the future plans and a part of me would be sad if they gutted it for a princess overlay
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-16-2014 at 09:05 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #59
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I have seen mention of this elsewhere, but I just booked fastpass for mid-october. We have 3days of food and wine planned, and Maelstrom was not available for any of the three days. Looks like SOMETHING is afoot. Count me amongst those that don't mind a Frozen presence. But you can all forget what you want. Frozen is Disney's most popular IP in years, and they are going to take advantage. I just worry about where there going to queue the huge lines for this.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #60
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I have seen mention of this elsewhere, but I just booked fastpass for mid-october. We have 3days of food and wine planned, and Maelstrom was not available for any of the three days. Looks like SOMETHING is afoot. Count me amongst those that don't mind a Frozen presence. But you can all forget what you want. Frozen is Disney's most popular IP in years, and they are going to take advantage. I just worry about where there going to queue the huge lines for this.
Its been said by numerous people that you can't book a FP for Maelstrom past September 27th. Ive also heard people say the refurb may begin October 1st. That time period is the start of fiscal 2015 for Disney so these moves would make sense.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: