Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Is there any confirmation of Maelstrom closing, being completely changed, or being turned into Frozen? Or is it possible the ride is simply being closed for refurbishment and some updating?

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
aprilgamer
Earning My Ears

The point of the World Showcase is to show the history and culture of each country. Frozen doesn't fit that bill.
aprilgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

What I don't get is Frozen doesn't take place in Norway, it takes place in a country inspired by so. If World Showcase is meant to showcase the world then how come they'll let fictional countries come in? Three Caballeros at least made sense for Mexico because it takes place in the flesh and blood there. If a copy of Ratatouille were to open in France it would make sense but not as crystal clear as Three Caballeros (much to the disgrace of WDWMAGIC to have characters take over the rides). I'm hoping Maelstrom stays but if it turns to Frozen that would be my only complaint, and I BARELY complain about Disney's decisions in the parks
PuppyJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Jing
Genius in Training

Well, at least I can truly say "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!"

Last edited by Jing; 08-05-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Is there any confirmation of Maelstrom closing, being completely changed, or being turned into Frozen? Or is it possible the ride is simply being closed for refurbishment and some updating?
Both. Lots of sources who have strong backgrounds with getting things right have said maelstrom will indeed become frozen. They have not taken down the frozen gift shop in Norway nor the area where the meet and greet was held.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgamer View Post
The point of the World Showcase is to show the history and culture of each country. Frozen doesn't fit that bill.
Do the three caballeros?

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
PulsarIII
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Being that this is the Rumors Board I’m going with... the movie at the end is getting updated.

G’day
I I I
PulsarIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Do the three caballeros?
To be fair, Ponchito is supposed to be from Mexico. Jose is supposed to be from Brazil so that doesn't really fit in Mexico, except that The Three Caballeros movie does have most of its segments taking place in Mexico and all take place in actual countries in Latin America. Arendelle isn't an actual place, so I would argue that turning Maelstrom into a Frozen ride rather than one about Norway is different than including Jose, Ponchito, and Donald in a ride that has them incorporated in scenes that are taken from Mexico. Now if they decide to have Anna and Elsa travel to Norway and are learning about the culture there, that's another story. Personally, though, I really enjoy Maelstrom and don't understand changing it. El Rio de Tiempo was extremely unpopular so I can understand why they decided to change it. Maelstrom is quite popular as is. Why mess with a good thing? Personally, I think bringing Anna and Elsa to Akershus to be the hostesses there is a better idea. But, no one at Disney asked me.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
PuppyJonathan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
To be fair, Ponchito is supposed to be from Mexico. Jose is supposed to be from Brazil so that doesn't really fit in Mexico, except that The Three Caballeros movie does have most of its segments taking place in Mexico and all take place in actual countries in Latin America. Arendelle isn't an actual place, so I would argue that turning Maelstrom into a Frozen ride rather than one about Norway is different than including Jose, Ponchito, and Donald in a ride that has them incorporated in scenes that are taken from Mexico. Now if they decide to have Anna and Elsa travel to Norway and are learning about the culture there, that's another story. Personally, though, I really enjoy Maelstrom and don't understand changing it. El Rio de Tiempo was extremely unpopular so I can understand why they decided to change it. Maelstrom is quite popular as is. Why mess with a good thing? Personally, I think bringing Anna and Elsa to Akershus to be the hostesses there is a better idea. But, no one at Disney asked me.
Not to mention they actually filmed in Mexico
Whoever said they're updating the film seems the most realistic answer here. I actually stayed and watched it once and it's not bad but compared to elsewise in the park I rather go out and about. Maybe also with Maelstrom getting a lot more riders recently with Anna and Elsa it maybe getting some extra TLC to the care of the fantasyland dark rides since now it has the ridership
PuppyJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #25
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Who knows maybe they will just add Anna and Elsa and Olaf and they will talk about Norway. I was just posing the question about the Three Caballeros as they are not part of Mexico really. Its just rumors we don't know what will happen for sure. With todays Disney they don't make the greatest decisions always.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #26
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why people don't see the connection between Frozen and Norway. Disney made it very clear from before the movie was released that the movie was in a fictional land but clearly based on Norway. The based the architecture, costumes, and even the ice cutters, on Norwegian culture. It is obvious to see when you watch the movie and this was publically stated. Disney even partnered with Norway tourism prior to release. There have been articles everywhere about the connection between Frozen and Norway, and articles about the increased tourism to Norway because of the movie!!

While it would be inappropriate to make a Frozen ride in place of Maelstrom, updating the ride and adding Frozen elements makes perfect sense! It would be good for Norway.

They could even as part of an exhibit, or in the ride, explain how Frozen connects to the culture and history of Norway. A win-win. As long as they don't overdo it.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
Josh Hendy
Mouseketeer

I don't object to the 3 Caballeros being in the Mexico ride, as much as to their presence on video screens. It's too reminiscent of sitting at home watching TV. The firework effects at the end of the ride are also pretty lame and underwhelming as a ride climax, especially when so many genuine, OVERwhelming fireworks shows can be seen in WDW.

If Frozen can be added tastefully to Norway's ride that's OK, if it helps illuminate Norway as a country or if it helps to bring out traditional Norwegian culture. But I really hope that the technology used for the makeover is not mundane or underwhelming. If it's audioanimatronics they had better be state-of-the-art. If video or projections are used they had better be 3D, 4D, or those cool, real-looking see-through projections like in Hogwarts castle queue. Or how about something even newer, more original and previously unseen and unimagined? That's kind of what imagineers are paid for!
Josh Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #28
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hendy View Post
I don't object to the 3 Caballeros being in the Mexico ride, as much as to their presence on video screens. It's too reminiscent of sitting at home watching TV. The firework effects at the end of the ride are also pretty lame and underwhelming as a ride climax, especially when so many genuine, OVERwhelming fireworks shows can be seen in WDW. If Frozen can be added tastefully to Norway's ride that's OK, if it helps illuminate Norway as a country or if it helps to bring out traditional Norwegian culture. But I really hope that the technology used for the makeover is not mundane or underwhelming. If it's audioanimatronics they had better be state-of-the-art. If video or projections are used they had better be 3D, 4D, or those cool, real-looking see-through projections like in Hogwarts castle queue. Or how about something even newer, more original and previously unseen and unimagined? That's kind of what imagineers are paid for!
Imagineers aren't the problem it's the execs who don't give imagineers enough money to do really great things. Execs want to take short cuts.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

I don't understand devoting a sizable portion of the World Showcase to a country with a population the size of Alabama. Convert the section to India and maybe we'll get some good curry.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #30
iScrap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnewton View Post
Here's a "coincidental", limited-availability T-shirt now on the Disney Store. Get them while you can folks...and get to Maelstrom while you can, before it's gone as we know it.

http://www.disneystore.com/maelstrom...63899/1000228/
Thank you for posting this. I was able to get one for DH.

Next trip: March 2015 - Beach Club Villas
My 21st trip/DH's 4th

iScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: