Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
jcvalenti
Wine Snob

Uh... pretty much all of German cuisine is meat and potatoes and not spicy.

If she's unwilling to try anything new, then I would just cancel all TS ADRs and get a cardboard burger every night, like Disney wants everyone to.
Trip History: June 1983 - Treehouse Villas | June 1984 - Fort Wilderness | July 1992 - Euro Disneyland | June/July 2004, October 2004, June 2005, June/July 2008, June 2009, July 2011, June 2012 - Offsite (usually with a Huge Family Group) | Oct 2008, Oct 2011 - Dolphin (Epcot F & W) | Oct 2013 - Swan (Epcot F & W)
Next Trip: August 2014 - Offsite (with an even huger family group)
Favorite Restaurants: Jiko, Il Mulino, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Biergarten, Kouzzina
Favorite Disney "Stuff": Haunted Mansion, A 40th Bday Illuminations Cruise with a 1971 Chateau Haut Brion, Enjoying the Hospitality of Benito at Tutto Gusto, Watching the kids build their own list of favorites, Renting boats at the Polynesian, Seeing "Bo Duke" at Cali Grill during last F&W
jcvalenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvalenti View Post
...cardboard burger every night, like Disney wants everyone to.
Using an emoticon/smiley for the first time in my adult life (and I promise not to make a habit of it), but...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Dayton Flyer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
German food is certainly not for everyone, but I would argue that there is plenty of food here that doesn't come across as particularly "German" and could serve as kid-friendly fare, even without a dedicated kids' area. Our whole family loved it, from one fairly picky daughter to slightly more adventurous daughter to steak-loving mom to I'll-try-anything-once dad (me). Honestly, I was surprised that the whole gang liked it, but now that I know that, I have no doubt we'll be back soon(-ish).
Yeah, my 6 year old son who ate only fruit, hot dogs, and mac and cheese LOVED Biergarten. He's now 12 and it's a must do every time we go to Epcot.
Dayton Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #19
MikeP22
Awesome

My wife and I really enjoy German food, though we're otherwise not generally particular to "plain" types of food (love Indian and Thai, for example). The only German restaurant in our immediate area closed before we really got into it, though I think one opened up somewhere else recently. We hit Das Festhaus in Busch Gardens at least twice during a 5-day visit (yeah, we usually hit BG 4-5 days out of a 7-day Williamsburg trip).

We've only been to Biergarten once (in 2010) and are very much looking forward to returning this month, and I'm very happy to learn about the 10% discount with the Disney Visa card. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere immensely, even though our tablemates were, well, uninterested.

One other option for German food that we are considering is Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe (VERY interested after seeing it on TheTimTracker). The prices on the web look REALLY good and the food is reported to be a-mazing (for "plainish" German food). The only downside is that I think it's like a 45 minute ride from our (offsite) hotel. I may see if we want to do it on one of our non-park days, I'd hate to regret not going there.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #20
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed the food at Biergarten, though admittedly we're not picky eaters. However, what keeps us from dining there more often is that we HATE the communal seating/table sharing.
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #21
starwart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP22
One other option for German food that we are considering is Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe (VERY interested after seeing it on TheTimTracker). The prices on the web look REALLY good and the food is reported to be a-mazing (for "plainish" German food). The only downside is that I think it's like a 45 minute ride from our (offsite) hotel. I may see if we want to do it on one of our non-park days, I'd hate to regret not going there.
Thanks for this tip. I may try this restaurant on our next trip if our schedule allows it. I like different cultural food and I like German food but I'm sorry Biergarten just doesn't cut it for me. And for the price I pay for this restaurant is an insult.
starwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #22
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

We have an ADR booked here for 6 of us. Out of the six of us, 2 are very picky. I've told our 16 year old son if he's not full after the meal, we'll get him a counter service meal. Our middle son who is 25 will probably be as bad as the 16 year old but we'll get him a beer and then maybe he won't be as picky!!!! :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #23
PRomano
Mouseketeer

We went in June for the first time and really enjoyed it. Everyone tried new foods. My 9 year old ds mostly ate pretzel rolls but did try other foods. My older 2 enjoyed it. We had 2 others at our table, a young woman from Germany and her bf from Australia. She didn't speak English so he translated. My mother and my Dh said they were very nice and enjoyed talking to them. I was at the other end of the table. Make sure you time it so you can enjoy the music.
PRomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #24
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

DH is super picky and Biergarten is his favorite Disney restaurant. He likes the abundance of meat and potatoes.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
laura3773
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn46356 View Post
We have an ADR booked here for 6 of us. Out of the six of us, 2 are very picky. I've told our 16 year old son if he's not full after the meal, we'll get him a counter service meal. Our middle son who is 25 will probably be as bad as the 16 year old but we'll get him a beer and then maybe he won't be as picky!!!! :-)
If nothing else, a 1 liter beer will certainly help fill him up!!!
laura3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
pad406
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3773 View Post
If nothing else, a 1 liter beer will certainly help fill him up!!!
You beat me to it Maybe a few beers will reduce the pickiness??

We love Biergarten, have booked it for our Christmas dinner. There's a big variety and nothing is too spicy, I'mm sure you'll all find something you like
Old 08-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
You beat me to it Maybe a few beers will reduce the pickiness?? We love Biergarten, have booked it for our Christmas dinner. There's a big variety and nothing is too spicy, I'mm sure you'll all find something you like
I'm sure there is something for everyone.

How does everyone feel about sharing tables? I think it may be fun, but is there a down side?

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
TravelMommy
Mouseketeer

Biergarten=Yuck=Would worry me

Sorry to say I am with the do not like this restaurant camp, and I liked Chef Mickey's. I would not call myself a picky eater but the food there was blah. I was expecting ok German food and we didn't get it. I say have the picky one go eat a counter service meal and meet up with you later. Sure the kids can eat mac and cheese, the show is cute but not worth it. [Loved the Costco hotdog meal is better comment! LOL, I agree!!]
TravelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
btk2333
Just passed ROFR BCV!

I find this one of the best buffets on property--also love the beer and entertainment
Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #30
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Entertainment? Please elaborate. I am picturing something like Clark Griswold dancing in lederhosen in European Vacation.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: