Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Biergarten Worries

We have an ADR for Biergarten coming up next month. I have a picky eater in the group that is concerned about finding something decent on the buffet. She's more of a meat and potatoes gal and doesn't like a lot of spicy things. Will she do OK here?

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
mommycrawford
DIS Veteran

It is really mostly meat and potatoes kind of stuff...sausages, spaetzle, sliced meat, german potato salad, cabbage, etc.

I recall (2 years ago) that there were few green type salads, and much more starchy and meaty things.

If you go to the dining tab above, you could look at the menu. I think you'll find the food is very complimentary to beer: solid.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
sethschroeder
DIS Veteran

Best place for that picky water is Germany than.
http://allears.net/dining/menu/biergarten/dinner

While there will be some stuff out there even that will seem like the norm if it didn't have names of the food.

Ps- I laughed when you equated German food to spicy. The farther you get away from the equator the less spicy food will be. German food is about on par with English food for spice.
1984 Born; 1985 DL; 1989 WDW; 1991 DL; 2013 BWI CL- (Honeymoon); 2014 September 3-14 - BWV - (Celebrating 1st Anniversary); 2014 September 14-15 - UNI RPR
sethschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
ses1230
DIS Veteran

The cold salad area is huge. I have made an entire meal out if the cold salads at Biergarten.

In addition to that there is soup, pretzel bread, roast chicken, potatoes, roasted vegetables, meatballs, roast beef, schnitzel, macaroni and cheese, and all the sausages. I think a picky eater can eat here. Nothing is very spicy.

The desserts are also very good.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
OrangeKnickers
Mouseketeer

Not a fan

I hate to be a buzzkill, but DH and I ate there in October and hated it. Although there is meat and potatoes in abundance, they are not seasoned in a way that is familiar to an American palate, so a picky eater may have trouble. We are not picky eaters (we loved Boma, for example), but neither one of us enjoyed our meal. It's all personal preference, and I know that some people like Biergarten. For us, though, it's the only meal we had at WDW where either of us truly hated the food.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
jhaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethschroeder View Post

Ps- I laughed when you equated German food to spicy. The farther you get away from the equator the less spicy food will be. German food is about on par with English food for spice.
Our spicy food equivalents:

Me = equator, her = arctic circle

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm not a fan of Biergarten, admittedly. I wish I was. I'm a picky eater and really only ate off the kid's bar and pretzel bread...
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
jhaig

Is the pretzel bread the same kind that is at Le Cellier?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
Is the pretzel bread the same kind that is at Le Cellier?
The pretzel bread is very similar, but more roll-sized than "breadstick"-sized. Otherwise, basically the same.

As for a meat-and-potatoes approach to Biergarten, I'd say it could be right on target. There is "pot roast" and there are also these little beef roulades (if I'm using the right word there). They looked like sausage links, but when you cut into them, it was almost as if they had stuffed roast beef in there...could have eaten those all night. Also plenty of potato options, whether hot or cold, and several other things that a picky eater could enjoy (e.g., some of the best mac and cheese on property). We took our 9 and 12 year old girls there a few weeks ago for the first time, and they actually asked why we had been "depriving" them of this restaurant for so many years! They are not necessarily picky eaters, but they do tend to migrate toward the familiar choices and they ate more than I've ever seen them eat at one meal and never even touched the more traditional German food (sausages, kraut, etc.).

We had eight people in our group, so we had a table to ourselves, but smaller groups will likely be sitting with other people. I'm not a huge fan of that, as there's not a whole lot of extra elbow room anyway, but it does have a certain charm....and the general atmosphere and entertainment is great. Definitely transports you into another world for an hour or so, which makes it a real success in my book.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
We have an ADR for Biergarten coming up next month. I have a picky eater in the group that is concerned about finding something decent on the buffet. She's more of a meat and potatoes gal and doesn't like a lot of spicy things. Will she do OK here?
Oh yeah, if you like bland, Germany, and Central Northern Europe in general, does bland starch and fat better than anybody. I found Biergarten to be uniformly lacking in any spice whatsoever. They give even the Brits a run for their money.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
starwart
Mouseketeer

I'd rather go to Costco and spend $1.50 for their hotdog with unlimited soda and sauerkraut than waste my $$$ in Biergarten. Just my opinion. Enjoy whatever you decide
starwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
I'm not a fan of Biergarten, admittedly. I wish I was. I'm a picky eater and really only ate off the kid's bar and pretzel bread...
What's on the kid's buffet? If it's normal "kid" food, then I think the picky eater in our group will be ok.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
JaimeK
Mouseketeer

Pics and lots of info in this review:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/1...pcots-germany/
Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
What's on the kid's buffet? If it's normal "kid" food, then I think the picky eater in our group will be ok.
There is not a dedicated kids area at Biergarten like there is at other Disney buffets.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwart View Post
I'd rather go to Costco and spend $1.50 for their hotdog with unlimited soda and sauerkraut than waste my $$$ in Biergarten. Just my opinion. Enjoy whatever you decide
This is what I love about these restaurant threads -- i.e., with pretty much any restaurant on property, there are going to be people who love it and others who hate it. Makes it difficult to decide sometimes, but I can appreciate a comment like this that is personal to the poster and not just a blanket statement like "the food at ________ is the worst on property" (with no acknowledgment of personal opinion or why...but rather just a flat-out "factual" statement that serves no useful purpose...those are the sorts of answers that irk me).

I'd say that Biergarten is probably in the top five (certainly top ten) WDW restaurants that fall into that love-it-or-hate-it category. German food is certainly not for everyone, but I would argue that there is plenty of food here that doesn't come across as particularly "German" and could serve as kid-friendly fare, even without a dedicated kids' area. Our whole family loved it, from one fairly picky daughter to slightly more adventurous daughter to steak-loving mom to I'll-try-anything-once dad (me). Honestly, I was surprised that the whole gang liked it, but now that I know that, I have no doubt we'll be back soon(-ish).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: