Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

We have two different health issues with traveling. The first is the unfiltered air on planes. If we don't take sinus infection meds starting before we leave home we get sinus infections 3-4 days into our trip. The second, if the air filter on the air conditioning in a hotel room is dirty, my throat burns and I get really congested. When a hotel has air that has a filter that's accessible, DH rinses it out and that usually takes care of the problem.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #32
newdeal
DIS Veteran

The last time I stayed at Disney (all star music) was at the end of march/beginning of april and I also got deathly ill. I never vomit but I had terrible diarreah to the point where they had to wheel chair me out of the park. I walked to the bus stop, laid on the ground, when the bus came I got on and threw up all over the bus. I then went to the room and stayed by myself but eventually called 911 because I was throwing up, going #2 and sweating profusely to the point where I thought I was going to die. Never felt that bad in my life. The next two days were spent in the hotel room trying to recover which I finally felt a bit better (good enough to leave the room) on our last day. Worst trip ever. I blamed the pizza at the trails end because my little 1 year old had something similar, my wife and other daughter were fine, and the only thing we did differently was the two of us ate pizza at the trails end
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #33
mgsquared
A big kid at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Thankfully I didn't get sick there, but I did get eaten alive by bugs.
OMG!! I have had one encounter with bed bugs and have vowed to never repeat it! It was such a nightmare.

How did Pop handle the situation?
mgsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #34
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride03 View Post
Oh no! That's not what I was saying at all. I get what you mean though. No, I wasn't that sick at all. Just stuffy nose and sinus pressure. The staff being awful at Food Courts was separate.

I said the food complaint and staff complaint because this is my hotel! I love it and it was clear last week that things had changed.
Sorry I should have clarified, my question/post wasnt directed at you at all. It was moreso for another poster, and posts just like it. Their kid gets sick, perhaps they expect the staff to bend over backwards for them. But when that doesnt happen, they claim it was the worst stay/worst hotel/worst CM ever. So it wasnt you at all.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 08-04-2014 at 05:55 AM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Sorry I should have clarified, my question/post wasnt directed at you at all. It was moreso for another poster, and posts just like it. Their kid gets sick, perhaps they expect the staff to bend over backwards for them. But when that doesnt happen, they claim it was the worst stay/worst hotel/worst CM ever. So it wasnt you at all.
We've had different levels of understanding and helpfulness. It really depends on the CM, and sometimes their own personal ability to do anything about the situation. They've generally been helpful in the situation of illness.

The most annoying situation we've had with no sympathy was when the fire alarm went off at 2AM at SSR. We were leaving that morning to DRIVE back to Virginia. An extra hour before check-out would have been appreciated (you know, to replace the time we were standing outside in our pajamas).

It was also the same day that our door stopped working, so we were already a little put out.

Edit
I forgot to add. We switched resorts after seeing, actually smelling, our room at POP.

Last edited by PlainJane; 08-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
bride03
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperfan View Post
We have two different health issues with traveling. The first is the unfiltered air on planes. If we don't take sinus infection meds starting before we leave home we get sinus infections 3-4 days into our trip. The second, if the air filter on the air conditioning in a hotel room is dirty, my throat burns and I get really congested. When a hotel has air that has a filter that's accessible, DH rinses it out and that usually takes care of the problem.
Curious, what regimen do you take when you say that you take sinus infection meds? I'm seriously going to think about preparing for this on the next trip.
bride03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
At the room I decided dd must have a concussion, she had been vomiting almost continuously. Called 911, they asked if she was over tired or had too much to eat. Finally got to hospital and dd did have a concussion.
Glad you took her in. In the future, just one vomiting experience after a head injury means you should take the person in. That's a big huge "get help" symptom, which I'm sure you know now, but I'm saying it for others. I'm so glad she was OK. And that it was just a concussion.

And "just" a concussion...I got one Spring of last year, and even though I wasn't nauseated at all, the effects lasted for months and months. It took ages for me to just *think* properly. I'm sure that most of my posts made at that time were written backwards or something.

Quote:
I wanted to add that, without fail, whenever a poster complains about a 'horrible' experience at a resort (bad service etc), it always has to do with their kid or a family member getting sick. This isnt a jab at anyone, rather just a curiousity....im just curious, what type of service does one expect when a child or family member is sick? What did the staff NOT do that was so horribly wrong? Maybe my expectations are different than most? But if my kid gets sick, I take care of him. If I need the bed sheets changed, i'll call housekeeping and wait until someone comes. I realise that it might be a bit of a wait as im not the only one at the resort and im sure the staff get this sort of thing all the time. I wouldnt expect the staff to wait on us hand and foot, or bring a doctor to my room. I just dont understand....and its a constant complaint on these boards "my kid was sick and the CM's were horrible!" I dont understand? Help me understand...
It just makes you feel terrible about EVERYTHING.

My son still doesn't really want to go back to WDW at all, because we were SO sick and it was SO miserable. It made us hate everything.

We were so sick that there was no talking to the CMs, really. We did have 4 separate reservations, which meant seeing CMs at checkins, and I barely remember those. The one shining moment was the SSR CMs offering to call the CentraCare shuttle for me right then and there. I looked THAT bad. Since I was pretty sure it was viral (anyone who went and got a solid diagnosis with that illness in January was told it was viral) so there was nothing they could DO for me, I declined. And went to the room where I just lay there miserable and moaning, while DS watched Disney Channel for hours and hours. (that was before HE got the illness)

It also got really really cold during our trip. That's its own level of misery for us while at Disney. The day we took the boat to DTD was the day it was 21 degrees with windchill. Holy moly.

I'm not saying the resorts were bad; I'm saying they FELT bad. And when I said "people I meant everyone. Apart from the SSR checkin CMs, who were supersweet, everyone we saw who was smiling and not sick and having a good time just made us feel worse. to look around at all the things we weren't able to do made us sad. We were so sick we didn't even think "let's get air filter masks for the plane and just go home". We just kept moving from one resort ot the other, I ran my runs and so did DS (he got sick AFTER his disney races were over, lucky kid) then we moved to Daytona where we sat, ill, in our hotel room and took slow freezing walks on the beach to get fresh air...etc.

To be ill while on vacation is not a joy.

We're off to Disneyland at the end of this month, and we're starting our antioxidant&vitamins&rest&healthy foods diet in earnest! We will do everything in our power to boost our immune systems so they don't betray us on this trip!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #38
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride03 View Post
Curious, what regimen do you take when you say that you take sinus infection meds? I'm seriously going to think about preparing for this on the next trip.
Keep in mind, we only fly once a year and don't get sinus infections normally at home. Our doc gives us a prescription for Zpac. It's not something you want to over use, but we literally always get sinus infections when we fly if we don't. He mistakenly gave me a different brand one year and for some reason it made me very nauseous I discontinued using it early. Normally I wouldn't take meds before being sick, but it's the only thing that works for us.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #39
patman345
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I wanted to add that, without fail, whenever a poster complains about a 'horrible' experience at a resort (bad service etc), it always has to do with their kid or a family member getting sick. This isnt a jab at anyone, rather just a curiousity....im just curious, what type of service does one expect when a child or family member is sick? What did the staff NOT do that was so horribly wrong? Maybe my expectations are different than most? But if my kid gets sick, I take care of him. If I need the bed sheets changed, i'll call housekeeping and wait until someone comes. I realise that it might be a bit of a wait as im not the only one at the resort and im sure the staff get this sort of thing all the time. I wouldnt expect the staff to wait on us hand and foot, or bring a doctor to my room. I just dont understand....and its a constant complaint on these boards "my kid was sick and the CM's were horrible!" I dont understand? Help me understand...
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that that because my sister got food poisoning was the reason why I didn't enjoy Pop Century, I was more trying to say that it was one of the reasons why my overall trip to WDW was terrible. I didn't have a good experience at Pop Century because of some of the terrible CMs there. The food court experience was terrible, I felt like I would receive better service at my local McDonalds, and my room wasn't even cleaned some days while I stayed there.
Sorry for any confusion.
patman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #40
Lostfan1
Earning My Ears

Soooo sick

We got there July 29th. We were there a week and the day we had to leave 3 of our party of 8 were so very sick. We left Aug 6, 2014 and two of them are still ill. We really don't think it was anything they ate. We all ate the same stuff. I don't think it was the flu the rest of us would had it. I had to hold a bag to my 13 yo son mouth while he threw up from disney back to Maine. On the plane everywhere. So if it was the flu I'm sure I would of got it. Just curious to what it could of been.
Lostfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, pop century

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: