Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Lost luggage upon disembarking

Just returned home from our amazing 12 night Mediterranean voyage on the Magic. Venice, Athens, Turkey, Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos, Santorini, Malta, and Barcelona were our ports (yes, we are exhausted!). Upon disembarking in Barcelona, our son's suitcase was nowhere to be found. We walked the rows of luggage several times and had 4 different Disney agents scouring the area as well. We filled out a form for lost luggage but haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone had any experience with luggage not showing up when getting off the ship? Not sure how it could have disappeared between the time we put it outside our stateroom the night before and getting off the ship the next morning. I'm guessing someone may have mistakenly taken it. Very much hoping that if that was the case, they are kind enough to return it or at least call DCL. Or maybe it's still on the ship on the way back to Venice! If so, I'm jealous Any advice and or sharing of other's experiences would be helpful!
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

If there were no markings to make it look unique and it is a common type of luggage, I'd bet on it being picked up by someone else accidentally. Some people tie crazy color ribbon or luggage straps to their stuff so that it stands out as unique.

Hopefully they will contact DCL and arrangements can be made to get it back to you.
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

The suitcase was a dark blue Samsonite (pretty common) but it had a bright red Lego luggage tag on it. It may have also had a Lightning McQueen tag on it. Next time I will make sure to go crazy with the tags, ribbons, etc, in obnoxious colors!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

I once had a bag MIA after a flight to Hawaii, someone with an identical bag took mine by mistake. Fortunately, they returned it promptly, and the airline sent my bag to our hotel. Since then, we go for creating a deliberate color clash with tags, belts, etc. on our bags. A friend duct-taped his initials on the side of his luggage. Ugly, but no one else grabs it!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Belle2667
Ah, Disney, where the magic never stops!

We had a bag go missing after a DCL Mexican Riviera cruise (which happened to be in the middle of a 2 week vacation).

We suspect someone picked up the wrong bag since an identical bag was left behind. Disney contacted the owner of the identical bag and sent it back, but apparently they denied having our bag. No one else ever made an attempt to contact us (our info was all over the suitcase).

Even now, years later, when we see a sneaker or article of clothing on the side of the road, we joke about it being some of our missing stuff. We figure whoever took it and realized it wasn't theirs and just left it somewhere.

Unfortunately, all of our clean laundry was in the missing bag so our first order of business upon arriving at the Grand Canyon was doing wash! Luckily, we had insurance so after coughing up a ton of receipts, we were reimbursed (for what we though was a fair amount).

I used fabric paints and now our luggage is UNIQUE and no one can mistake it for theirs.

Good luck finding yours. There are honest people out there and you may still be contacted.
DS18
Belle2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemaxx View Post
Or maybe it's still on the ship on the way back to Venice! If so, I'm jealous
Don't be. The Magic is not going back to Venice. She sails from Barcelona until the WBTA. Next year she will sail Northern Europe and Barcelona. Maybe 2016, but I doubt your son's suitcase will still be on the ship by then
I am jealous as you just completed a Magical cruise. Hope you enjoyed.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

GREAT NEWS!! I just got an email from Disney's Lost and Found department saying that my son's suitcase has been located!! They have to ship it from Barcelona to Orlando first and then will overnight it to us at home in PA! Wow, I'm very pleased with DCL's prompt response and of course very grateful to get our luggage (and cruise photos and each day's Navigator) back. Funny that my son said he'd rather shop for Legos than new clothes!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

GREAT NEWS!! I just got an email from Disney's Lost and Found department saying that my son's suitcase has been located!!
I'm glad it all worked out.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
GREAT NEWS!! I just got an email from Disney's Lost and Found department saying that my son's suitcase has been located!! They have to ship it from Barcelona to Orlando first and then will overnight it to us at home in PA! Wow, I'm very pleased with DCL's prompt response and of course very grateful to get our luggage (and cruise photos and each day's Navigator) back. Funny that my son said he'd rather shop for Legos than new clothes!
Woo!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
I'm thrilled that you got your luggage back. Amazing how that happened.

I am also not surprised to hear that your son would rather shop for legos than new clothes. I think my son would do the same Boys and their toys

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

WOW! More than just clothes missing in that bag! So glad that it has been found.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
I'm thrilled that you got your luggage back. Amazing how that happened. I am also not surprised to hear that your son would rather shop for legos than new clothes. I think my son would do the same Boys and their toys
Think yourself lucky when one lady joined the other 71 passengers with lost luggage on the WBTA she expected to see it when she got back to the US, not so she had it delivered in Mar a full six months later! We on the other hand got ours back in Funchal about 5 days later. At least it's found.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

UPDATE: Our luggage arrived on our doorstep via UPS this morning!!! My kids were jumping up and down and squealing! The luggage lock was missing, but the Chip and Dale luggage tag from the ship was still attached, as was the red Lego luggage tag that we put on. Either someone mistakenly took it and returned it or it was misplaced somewhere in the terminal. Whatever the story, we are just so glad to have it back in one piece. It was like Christmas morning opening it up! All the cruise photos, 2 boxes of Turkish Delight from Turkey, my daughter's mask from Venice, my son's new linen shirt from Santorini, all the Navigators, etc!!! Very glad I put my sons slightly damp water shoes in a plastic bag because they were still damp today and a little stinky! There is hope for others who lose their luggage!! Thank you DCL and Merrie Thomas from Dreams Unlimited who helped out with some contact info for lost luggage.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
UPDATE: Our luggage arrived on our doorstep via UPS this morning!!! My kids were jumping up and down and squealing! The luggage lock was missing, but the Chip and Dale luggage tag from the ship was still attached, as was the red Lego luggage tag that we put on. Either someone mistakenly took it and returned it or it was misplaced somewhere in the terminal. Whatever the story, we are just so glad to have it back in one piece. It was like Christmas morning opening it up! All the cruise photos, 2 boxes of Turkish Delight from Turkey, my daughter's mask from Venice, my son's new linen shirt from Santorini, all the Navigators, etc!!! Very glad I put my sons slightly damp water shoes in a plastic bag because they were still damp today and a little stinky! There is hope for others who lose their luggage!! Thank you DCL and Merrie Thomas from Dreams Unlimited who helped out with some contact info for lost luggage.
That is wonderful news!!! I'm so glad that everything was returned to you.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
SleepyV
Earning My Ears

Quote:

So glad it finally arrived! And how nice to open all those souvenirs (except the smelly shoes) and remember!
SleepyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: