Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I've stayed in POR twice and I enjoyed it. Would I personally make the change from WL to POR? Depends on any extras I want to do. The biggest draw for me in regards to WL is the indoor corridors, themeing for the holidays, and proximity to MK. In the evening I just love hoping on the boats and just going around Bay lake. Some find it old and annoying but, I love the water pageant too!

In terms of the grounds, POR is gorgeous, relaxing and has the boats to DTD. I haven't had a bus issue minus one afternoon in June that a storm slowed up the fleet and we waited about 40 mins to board a bus anywhere to transfer to WL for Whispering Canyon ADR. It has outdoor corridors which stinks when it's raining. It's a HUGE resort so depending on where your staying it's a jog to the food court.

You have Yee haw Bob playing the piano at night. Horse drawn carriage rides.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. I would go down to the All Stars for a chance to do the Hoop Dee Doo! :-)
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
wollydoodle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTex View Post
Gosh, I know it is tough, and really only you have all the variables that will drive your final decision. All I can tell you is our experience...

I have stayed at both, and I can tell you that WL is our favorite resort.
But last year we were looking to save some money, like you, to spend elsewhere, and had a 8 day trip planned for POR. There were 5 of us and we had the Murphy bed. POR is pretty, I liked it. The CMs were really great, and there are some wonderful hammocks to relax in. I was happy enough there. Room was a little squishy maybe, with 5 ppl, but not terrible. The walk was far, but big deal, it's DW, walking is what we do, right? And the buses were ok. I can't stand the way people kinda push on, but it is what it is.

On our 3rd day we went to our ADR at Artist Point for dinner and to look around our favorite resort and enjoy the decorations. That boat ride to the resort. I mean, really. Hard to compete with that.

I think we were all kinda bummed about not staying there, but trying not to talk about it. So. While we were taking some photos in front of the big tree, my DH slipped off to the desk and inquired about availability; he ended up getting us a semi-deal on a deluxe club level room. The next day we moved. So much for saving money. And we had the DxDDP so yikes, we had so much food. Not the best planning, but my DH said he just couldn't take POR any longer. It wasn't anything, other than he missed the WL. And the 8 year old was so happy. Who knows about 8 year olds with resort preferences. What the heck is up with that? Oh, and he loves Artist Point. He is so weird. Artist Point is where he wants to go for his birthday. I'm saying, "not, uhm, Crystal Palace? Or Sci-Fi? or BOG? Seriously? Artist Point?" Boy better be taking the trash out and making his bed every single morning, all I'm saying. But I digress.

This December we are going to BC. Club Level. (Then split stay at WL, which is the only way I could talk him into the BC) Oh, and we SHOULD HAVE NEVER STAYED CL. Look what happens...

But at least this time we have enough sense not to do the DXDDP.

Long story to say that unless it is go to POR or not get to go, you probably shouldn't switch. Just my humble opinion. Look at all the numbers, free dining versus room only discount and think about how much you want to dine and where.

Good luck with your decision, and I wish you tons of wherever you stay!
Thank you! I am cracking up at your story because my kids also don't really want to stay anywhere else and they have some gourmet tastes themselves! They do love the lodge. The only thing that swayed my dd was the picture of the alligator with the frogs sleeping on its belly on the back of the Murphy bed! Lol..it's the little things, I guess. Now my dh has mentioned using points for an offsite resort. Nooooooo!! Trying to conceal my panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
I've stayed in POR twice and I enjoyed it. Would I personally make the change from WL to POR? Depends on any extras I want to do. The biggest draw for me in regards to WL is the indoor corridors, themeing for the holidays, and proximity to MK. In the evening I just love hoping on the boats and just going around Bay lake. Some find it old and annoying but, I love the water pageant too!

In terms of the grounds, POR is gorgeous, relaxing and has the boats to DTD. I haven't had a bus issue minus one afternoon in June that a storm slowed up the fleet and we waited about 40 mins to board a bus anywhere to transfer to WL for Whispering Canyon ADR. It has outdoor corridors which stinks when it's raining. It's a HUGE resort so depending on where your staying it's a jog to the food court.

You have Yee haw Bob playing the piano at night. Horse drawn carriage rides.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. I would go down to the All Stars for a chance to do the Hoop Dee Doo! :-)
We've never done the Hoop Dee Doo so I am super-excited about that! Now that he's mentioned off-site, I may have to counter with All Stars. I would rather save longer and go another time to be in the "magic bubble" if it comes down to that. We shall see! Why can't everyone love Disney as much as we do?
wollydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
wollydoodle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Bahaha, we had a similar experience years back...

Point I'm trying to make, book what will make you happy And I can't imagine not being happy with WL at Christmas time.
I have a feeling we might be the same! We don't go that often and this may be it for awhile. WL at Christmas time is for sure my "heart's desire"; it would be a dream trip!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

We are lucky to be within 7 hours driving time so that cuts down on our financial output (although a 90 minute flight is looking better and better (once we get to ATL, a 90 minute drive..). We tend to make more frequent short trips, four night max, sometimes less. My husband is considered an independent contractor, so if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, no paid vacation. Our girls are older too, youngest is a high school senior, older one is in college, so we have started taking little "Mom & Dad" trips which saves too
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #35
wollydoodle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We are lucky to be within 7 hours driving time so that cuts down on our financial output (although a 90 minute flight is looking better and better (once we get to ATL, a 90 minute drive..). We tend to make more frequent short trips, four night max, sometimes less. My husband is considered an independent contractor, so if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid, no paid vacation. Our girls are older too, youngest is a high school senior, older one is in college, so we have started taking little "Mom & Dad" trips which saves too
That's cool that your dh is on board. Don't get me wrong when I say this trip might be it for a while...I would go every year if my DH would let me!! He is just not a big fan and prefers the relaxation of the beach. I'm trying to get him to embrace his "Disney side", hence the extras like the Hoop Dee Doo, and the brunch, and a few more days than the last couple of trips so we can be a little more relaxed. Our first (and last) trip with him was five days and so "rush, rush, rush" that they still talk about me marching them around the parks. I couldn't help myself 'cause I was so excited! hehe.. But I don't want to do that this trip. My point is I'm trying to let him decide and give him some options (but not off-site! Where did that come from? Geez... lol...) I am so excited to know that so many folks love POR; almost equal to those who love WL. I know we would be happy at either. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #36
rcraw45425

Jeff's good, he likes the deluxe hotels, hates the moderates so it's a no brainer for me, just book whichever deluxe we feel like. We did not care for AKL at all, Prefer the monorail resorts (his latest favorite was the Poly and then they went and messed it up) but our last stay was BC with an upgrade to 2 BR suite from standard room. We like WL but if the girls are with us it gets a bit tight in the smaller rooms. We prefer to go in the fall but lately with high school football (our younger one is drum major this year) we won't get a visit.....booo!
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #37
Trip planner
Mouseketeer

We have been in similar boat

Dh always gives me a vacation budget and I make all of the decisions. We had always stayed at WL but last year increased airfare was causing me to go slightly over budget (not much over but going over budget makes DH grumpy). I decided to go with CSR which came in way under budget. We agreed CSR was not as nice but DH was HAPPY to spend money on other things that made vacation extra fun. We will be there in Dec again and decided on CSR again because it is hard to Justify the extra $1k+ on the hotel.
Trip planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
wollydoodle
Earning My Ears

Update: We made a decision...

...and we're sticking with the WL! I wound up subtracting a day from the trip which also eliminated the brunch, so a little compromise wound up making the budget, dh and me happy. So excited! We're going to Walt Disney World!!! Thanks again for all the help. Y'all are the best!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #39
rcraw45425

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollydoodle View Post
...and we're sticking with the WL! I wound up subtracting a day from the trip which also eliminated the brunch, so a little compromise wound up making the budget, dh and me happy. So excited! We're going to Walt Disney World!!! Thanks again for all the help. Y'all are the best!
Yay, Love the Wilderness Lodge!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #40
Meerkatx
Earning My Ears

I was curious to hear from someone who has switched resorts mid way. If it was worth the hassle. I Was thinking of going WL then BC and planning all close events to coincide.
Meerkatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #41
rcraw45425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkatx View Post
I was curious to hear from someone who has switched resorts mid way. If it was worth the hassle. I Was thinking of going WL then BC and planning all close events to coincide.
It's doable, we have done a "split stay" once and then several times we have started out arrival night in a value before moving to a deluxe the next morning.

Disney will move your luggage, you just pack up the morning of the move and call bell services and tell them that they need to go to the other hotel. We had a vehicle so we just ooh ours with us. IF you're on a package though it tends to get sticky I think. We generally do room only though. You will lose some time on the move though but it's a good way to both save money (go from a value or mod to mode or deluxe) or if your hotel isn't available for all of your nights you can piece your stay out that way. We did it from WL to Polynesian and other than some kinks when we arrived at the Poly with our room not being ready it went smoothly

Old 08-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #42
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollydoodle View Post
Congratulations, that way you know you will be at a resort that you love.

We too have only stayed at WL and loved it every time, but coming up in September we are going to try POR. We went preferred to guarantee an AB room close to the lobby, so we'll see how that works out for us and whether the cost savings overcomes missing the lodge.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #43
Meerkatx
Earning My Ears

Quote:
It's doable, we have done a "split stay" once and then several times we have started out arrival night in a value before moving to a deluxe the next morning. Disney will move your luggage, you just pack up the morning of the move and call bell services and tell them that they need to go to the other hotel. We had a vehicle so we just ooh ours with us. IF you're on a package though it tends to get sticky I think. We generally do room only though. You will lose some time on the move though but it's a good way to both save money (go from a value or mod to mode or deluxe) or if your hotel isn't available for all of your nights you can piece your stay out that way. We did it from WL to Polynesian and other than some kinks when we arrived at the Poly with our room not being ready it went smoothly
Thankyou. Actually we were planning on dvc rentals and wanted to try a couple locations. So i guess its a room only purchase as everything else is purchased separately.
Meerkatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: