Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Should I buy Disney travel insurance or a non-disney insurance?

We have never bought trip insurance but would like to do so this time. Should we buy the disney one for our upcoming cruise or a non disney one? Is there one that covers both land and sea since we are gonna stay at WDW for a week prior to our cruise?

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

I get my own with cruise insurance added.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
I get my own with cruise insurance added.
and which insurance is that? how much is it? what does it cover that disney doesnt?

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover

and which insurance is that? how much is it? what does it cover that disney doesnt?
We went with Allianz for $184 (for whole group) we got preexsisting condition coverage (must buy insurance with in 2 weeks of 1st deposit), illness coverage for traveling members and even non traveling family (only if you are required to care for them), 1,000 in last baggage coverage, 300 in delayed baggage coverage, 250 to cover flight change fees, 250 for frequent flyer fees, 800 in missed connection coverage, 500,000 in medical transportation, 25,000 for medical or dental coverage, 2,500 in cancelation coverage, 800 in delay and 3750 in trip interruption coverage.
Those coverage amounts are per a person not for the whole group.

The best part is for the 184 total it covers both mine and my boyfriend's flights, pre-cruise and post cruise hotels, as well as the cruise. Disney's would have only coveted the cruise and not flights or hotels because we didn't book any of that through Disney.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

We use Allianz Travel Insurance so that we can insure our entire trip. It is easy and from what I have heard DCL insurance isn't that good and is expensive.
Allianz is super easy to get a quote from and change your dollar amount if you add days to your trip and they are a good price.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

I use www.tripinsurancestore.com to compare policies for each trip. You can include the full trip price and it will cover airfare, hotels, cruise, everything. Also, you do not need to buy the full policy at one time. I only include the current out-of-pocket (deposits, etc) and then increase the policy as additional expenses are paid (ex. when I book the airfare, I call them and increase the policy to cover it).

Most policies require you to purchase it within 14 days of the deposit but there is at least one carrier (sorry, don't recall which one) that lets you purchase prior to final payment. I use that one for OBBs that I know I will be moving (since the deposit is paid too far in advance of knowing the actual cruise date).
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
We went with Allianz for $184 (for whole group) we got preexsisting condition coverage (must buy insurance with in 2 weeks of 1st deposit), illness coverage for traveling members and even non traveling family (only if you are required to care for them), 1,000 in last baggage coverage, 300 in delayed baggage coverage, 250 to cover flight change fees, 250 for frequent flyer fees, 800 in missed connection coverage, 500,000 in medical transportation, 25,000 for medical or dental coverage, 2,500 in cancelation coverage, 800 in delay and 3750 in trip interruption coverage.
Those coverage amounts are per a person not for the whole group.

The best part is for the 184 total it covers both mine and my boyfriend's flights, pre-cruise and post cruise hotels, as well as the cruise. Disney's would have only coveted the cruise and not flights or hotels because we didn't book any of that through Disney.
So with Allianz it would not only cover the cruise but also the land portion of our trip (week at WDW) prior to the cruise?

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So with Allianz it would not only cover the cruise but also the land portion of our trip (week at WDW) prior to the cruise?
Yes it will cover anything with in the travel dates you choose and total amount.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
We have never bought trip insurance but would like to do so this time. Should we buy the disney one for our upcoming cruise or a non disney one? Is there one that covers both land and sea since we are gonna stay at WDW for a week prior to our cruise?
The travel insurance offered by DCL will ONLY cover components of your vacation that you book with DCL. If you book your WDW vacation separately (as most do to get the best deals), it will not be covered; if you book your own flights, that will not be covered; car rental, etc. DCL also does not offer a pre-existing condition waiver.

The one unique aspect of DCL coverage is that if you have to cancel and submit a claim that gets denied, you can then submit that documentation to DCL for a 75% credit of non-refundable monies towards a future cruise (to be taken within one year).

I suggest you do some online research. Google something like travel insurance comparison sites or something similar. There are a wide variety of options, depending on what you want covered.

Enjoy your land and sea vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
The travel insurance offered by DCL will ONLY cover components of your vacation that you book with DCL. If you book your WDW vacation separately (as most do to get the best deals), it will not be covered; if you book your own flights, that will not be covered; car rental, etc. DCL also does not offer a pre-existing condition waiver.

The one unique aspect of DCL coverage is that if you have to cancel and submit a claim that gets denied, you can then submit that documentation to DCL for a 75% credit of non-refundable monies towards a future cruise (to be taken within one year).

I suggest you do some online research. Google something like travel insurance comparison sites or something similar. There are a wide variety of options, depending on what you want covered.

Enjoy your land and sea vacation!
This is my online research. I figure I will use the feedback from others who have used disney and non-disney insurance for disney trips

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
Yes it will cover anything with in the travel dates you choose and total amount.
Awesome!!! So far you are selling me on Allianz. This also works for us because our son has type 1 diabetes and we need an insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
This is my online research. I figure I will use the feedback from others who have used disney and non-disney insurance for disney trips
There is A specific website that we are not allowed to post here; if you Google, you will find it. That is your best source of comparing what's offered. You don't know what everyone on here needs for insurance -- some only want the cruise, some need pre- and/or post-cruise extended vacation, some need travel/transportation (flights, rental, personal car), some need "cancel for any reason" coverage, some need pre-existing waivers, some only need medical, some don't need medical, some want coverage for a job issue (loss, change, vacation denied), some want coverage if a non-traveling family member becomes ill, etc. Lots of variables... Obviously, it's up to you how you get your info.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Awesome!!! So far you are selling me on Allianz. This also works for us because our son has type 1 diabetes and we need an insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.
As long as you have not paid for anything yet Allianz would be a good plan. I can't remember if you can buy the preexsisting coverage at a extra cost if it has been 14 days since you first put money down for anything.

Also good for you for thinking ahead! I'm sure you're vacation will go off smoothly but if your son has life threatening complications you will have peace of mind knowing he won't be stuck at an island hospital.

Last edited by wilkeliza; 07-23-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As lanejudy posted if you search for "travel insurance comparison sites" you'll find several there. These are sites that you put the parameters of what you want covered (trip cancellation/disruption; medical/evacuation; any non-refundable costs; etc) and they will show you a variety of policies from different companies for comparison.

A couple of popular sites are https://www.squaremouth.com/ and http://tripinsurancestore.com/.

We've used Squaremouth and the other that lanejudy mentioned (sorry can't post them). I've found it's easier to actually call them and talk to the representative on the phone. Because they work with many different companies, you get a better overview of what's available and the costs.

One thing, you said you need pre-existing condition coverage - generally, for that coverage you must purchase insurance within a short timeframe from initial deposit on a trip (usually 14-21 days, varies by company), so you need to work fairly quickly getting your information.

We typically purchase the insurance for the medical/evacuation coverage. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country", and once you step aboard the ship, you are considered out of country.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:
Mine is a popular Internet cruise insurance with an international company. They do not allow themselves to be on Comparison sites they sell on their reputation and therefore cheaper than comparison sites.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: