Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Ooh De Lally
Golly, what a day!
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5

question about upgrades

I have a reservation booked for October at All Star Sports. I called this morning to have the new discount applied and the cm that I spoke to said, " I see you are here for 3 nights at the Contemporary...." Then he stopped himself. I didn't really think anything of it. Just that he misspoke.

Then I started to wonder if I could have been given an upgrade that is noted on my reservation. Ha! I know this is highly unlikely but does this type of thing ever happen? I have family members who were recently upgraded to a suite at AoA but I'm pretty sure that the resort just didn't have any LM rooms available so that makes sense.
Ooh De Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Tonyz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooh De Lally View Post
I have a reservation booked for October at All Star Sports. I called this morning to have the new discount applied and the cm that I spoke to said, " I see you are here for 3 nights at the Contemporary...." Then he stopped himself. I didn't really think anything of it. Just that he misspoke.

Then I started to wonder if I could have been given an upgrade that is noted on my reservation. Ha! I know this is highly unlikely but does this type of thing ever happen? I have family members who were recently upgraded to a suite at AoA but I'm pretty sure that the resort just didn't have any LM rooms available so that makes sense.
Yeah... I'm gonna go ahead and say no. You didn't just magically get upgraded from All Stars Sports to the Contemporary.
__________________


1999 - All Star Sports
2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Beach Club
2014 - Coronado Springs
Tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Luv2Run
Mouseketeer
 
Luv2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 398

It's more likely that the CM was helping someone who was staying at CR on the previous call, so he was in the habit of saying it and forgot to "shift gears" for your phone call.
__________________
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." - Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own



Feb. 2011 - Offsite, June 2011 - Offsite/Contemporary, Feb. 2012 - Offsite/OKW, Nov. 2012 - All Star Music, Feb. 2013 - BLT/Offsite, Feb. 2014 - All Star Music
Next: Feb. 2015 - Port Orleans Riverside!
Luv2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran
 
figment_jii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,683

I can imagine an upgrade happening with the same resort, but I also highly doubt that they would upgrade you from a Value to a Deluxe. So, I agree that it's mostly the CM was dealing the CR on the previous call and hadn't quite switched gears yet. If you did that get that upgrade it would be pretty astounding!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 7,668

Upgrades wouldn't happen until your room is being assigned, which is anywhere from 24-72 hours before your check-in date. Typically, upgrades only occur when a resort is oversold (or a room category is oversold) and they need to put the "extra" guests elsewhere. Since this is for October, there's no way they are handing out upgrades yet.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
CadMaster
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 23

I agree that it is way too early for an upgrade, but you never know. Several years ago, I was going down with my sons and traveling with my brother and his family. The day before we were to arrive, SIL got a call from Disney offering a free upgrade from All-Star Movies to CR. They accepted and were able to get me (seperate reservation) upgraded also because we were vacationing together.
CadMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
CadMaster
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 23

Forgot to note that we were traveling to WDW in late September when this extra bit of magic happened.
CadMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 7,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadMaster View Post
I agree that it is way too early for an upgrade, but you never know. Several years ago, I was going down with my sons and traveling with my brother and his family. The day before we were to arrive, SIL got a call from Disney offering a free upgrade from All-Star Movies to CR. They accepted and were able to get me (seperate reservation) upgraded also because we were vacationing together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadMaster View Post
Forgot to note that we were traveling to WDW in late September when this extra bit of magic happened.
The key here was that it happened the day before. They knew what to expect in terms of arrivals/room assignments. Having worked in the hotel industry, I'm guessing All Star Movies was at or near capacity whereas CR was pretty low on the capacity percentage. Even though it happened in September which is a low crowd time of year, the resorts still get pretty crowded due to free dining which entices more people to stay onsite. The values and mods do fill up during slow periods when free dining is offered.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Ooh De Lally
Golly, what a day!
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5

Thanks for all the replies. I figured when upgrades happen, it is always determined at check in or right around then. Also, I would never be lucky enough for anything like this to happen to me. But, hey, a girl can dream!
Ooh De Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: