Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
weinerranchers
Earning My Ears

TA for DCL?

I have never cruised DCL but am planning my first in Jan/15. I usually cruise Carnival and have never found that I needed a TA as they offer the lowest price and I can usually watch for price drops on my own. Is there an advantage to using a TA for a Disney cruise? OBC? Perks? TIA
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

In terms of fares or offers -- there is no advantage to using a TA for DCL. Any TA will get you the same fares and the same categories available direct from the DCL website.

Many do choose to use a TA for the OBC they offer. Some offer other perks -- photo package, gift basket, etc. The main suggestion is to make sure any TA you select knows DCL, and communicates in a manner you'd prefer (i.e., phone, email, after hours available, etc.)

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

As lanejudy said, no matter who you book the cruise through, the price will be the same.

That said, If you want complete control and don't want to deal with a third party, don't use a travel agent.

On the other hand there are several reasons to use a travel agent:

Local ones give face to face service.

Others may offer some, after the purchase incentives to book through them.

As far as I know, costco, offers the biggest incentive which comes as a costco gift card. On the other hand you may have to do some of the leg work your self.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
Nannabelle
Earning My Ears

Costco gift card $795.... Hello worth dealing with them!! JMHO
Nannabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

For those who've used a TA to book a WDW reservation, you know that it's impossible to get any help with CRO.

That said, DCL is much easier to deal with. They will answer your call and answer your questions and even take down requests. They only thing they cannot do is do anything that involves changes to your reservation or take payment. They've even help with telling me how much would it cost me to switch a category - since pricing is set for a cruise based on booking date, it's not easy later on to accurately know how much more or less a category change will do. A TA will need to attempt the change to get the actual difference. But DCL was able to help me with this - they simply would not do the actual change.

I use the TA just for the OBC - once Costco opens nearby (less than a year), I'll probably switch to them since their cash card offers are typically much better than what some TAs will give in OBC.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
weinerranchers
Earning My Ears

someone explain this costco thing to me...
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerranchers View Post
costcotravel.com

you can look up cruises from here and see what they would give you. if you have questions call them up.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerranchers View Post
As mentioned above, everyone (DCL directly, a travel agent, Costco, etc.) offers the same cruise fare. The difference is that Costco gives you a kickback if you book with them. For a Disney cruise, the kickback comes in the form of a Costco Cash Card that they send to you after your trip. The amount of the gift card is based on how much you pay for your cruise. You can check the Costco Travel site to see how much the gift card would be.
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

The Costco card ends up being around 8-9% of the cruise fare.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've used the sponsor of this board, Dreams Unlimited, as our TA for a dozen cruises. Always had good service from them, plus an on board credit. We also patronize them as a way of thanks for supporting the DIS Boards.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
ludari
DIS Veteran

As others have said they are certain perks to using a TA. My TA like others will provide shipboard credit and a stateroom gift but my primary reason for using my TA is when I am researching a cruise. As you may have noticed searching multiple DCL ships, dates and destinations can be time consuming on DCL website. I like giving my TA all my travel parimeters and let them do all the work and report back to me with all the cost. On a more personal note I have also been on several cruises with the owner of my TA and have spent time exercising each morning with him and his wife. It was great being able to share my experience and provide feedback to the service I recieve from their office and what I expect as a customer. I also like the fact that when my TA is on the same cruise they contact me before hand to let me know and plan private tours.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: