Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

I really wish Disney would put in a new cigar bar at DTD or somewhere else on property. But I think our wishes are futile. I'm fairly certain too many people complained about the smoke when walking by Fuego's, so Disney chose to cater to the masses instead of the few who enjoy a good smoke.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

I am not 100% certain, but I believe the reason Fuego closed is because their lease was up and they chose not to renew it and they also needed to make room for the expansion, so the location was going to change anyway. I do not have a source to site, but I believe that I heard this from a cast member at DTD while we were vacationing there last December. Someone had inquired about it and that is what I recall he said.
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

From a local's perspective....

If you're staying near WDW and have your own car, go to Coronas on Sand Lake Drive in Dr. Phillips and buy your cigars, then cross over to World of Beer. Great atmosphere (if there isn't a 'game' on) and decent prices on your drinks. I'm there on a weekly basis and have yet to have a bad experience. Then again, I'm a regular...

If you're looking for more of a contemporary atmosphere, Bar Louie is just up the road...
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
daly7o9
An hour from WDW

My DDs and I were just at DTD last week. We stopped in to Sosa's to buy a cigar for my DH. We got to talking to the very nice young man that worked there and he said that Disney didn't renew the contract for the cigar bar (Fuego) and that they (Disney) only allowed them to sign a new contract for the West Side store for two more years. He said that the Sosa family felt like Disney was trying to discourage them from being in DTD.

On another note... my DH an I enjoy a cigar and drink right across the walkway from Sosa West Side on the outdoor patio of Bongo's. They've always made us feel welcome to do so.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
Cold71
Mouseketeer

I'll have to check them out, always good to hear about a cigar friendly place to have a drink. I was sitting outside at around 9PM or so on my last trip in DTD in an area where they had a live band and an outdoor bar, enjoying myself with a drink. Got the stink eye from several people over my cigar and one guy actually was yelling at a security guard to do something, lucky for me the guard just waved him off.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #21
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_taffy05 View Post
My husband is so upset that Fuego (Sosa cigar bar) closed in DTD! Our trip this past December for our honeymoon just was not the same without it (although, with it being our honeymoon and everything it still was amazing!). We did rent a car and ventured into Orlando one day and went to Corona cigar- that was fun!
We usually stay at the boardwalk with a waterfront view and he is able to sit out on the little balcony every night and enjoy a glass of scotch and a cigar.
Disney really really needs to incorporate a new cigar bar in it's downtown area. I'm glad to know we are not the only ones who feel this way. How can we get the word out that this is what the guests want?!
Wait... he smoked the cigar on the hotel balcony? You guys didn't get the cleaning charge added? Smoking is banned on the balconies, so I stopped smoking cigars at Disney as I didn't feel like sitting downstairs in the smoking area... I just assumed one would get charged.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #22
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Wait... he smoked the cigar on the hotel balcony? You guys didn't get the cleaning charge added? Smoking is banned on the balconies, so I stopped smoking cigars at Disney as I didn't feel like sitting downstairs in the smoking area... I just assumed one would get charged.
No, no cleaning fee! The maid even cleaned our ashtray everyday! Maybe it is different at each resort? Plus, my husband is super tidy!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_taffy05 View Post
No, no cleaning fee! The maid even cleaned our ashtray everyday! Maybe it is different at each resort? Plus, my husband is super tidy!
No.
It's the same at all resorts. The issue isn't tidy or not today.
The is due is that smoke sticks on the furnishings.

Here's a link to the Disney website smoking policy
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...smoking-areas/
And this is what it says about resorts:
Resort Hotels
Smoking is allowed in select outdoor smoking locations only. A fee up to $500 will be charged to Guests smoking in the following non-smoking areas:

Guest rooms, including patio and balcony areas
Restaurants
Ballrooms
Indoor and outdoor common areas

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #24
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

Well- I guess we got lucky...no big deal either way. I'm sure my hubby will either try his luck again or just go to a designated area. No sweat off my back! Thanks for the link.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

I can say that after enjoying cigars at Disney for the past many years a lot has changed. DTD had Fuego's and that was good for like 5 years. They did not get leased renewed and we know that the place is being replaced with a restaurant.
There are many places to enjoy, Dtd has many spots, House of Blues, Bongo's, walking any where and looks ya i get but not a problem for me. Don't smoke much in parks but you can but i like a good chair.
At the resort by the smaller pools usually is ok off to the side. Over the years i have always found other smokers to enjoy some space. If you want a little drive head to Corona on sand lake. One more, you can also sit inside of Sosa cigar store. Only a few chairs but works fine for me. Enjoy
Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
Canucks
Earning My Ears

Cigar Smoking

I enjoyed reading the comments on the cigar shop closing in Downtown Disney. I am a non-smoker but do believe that smokers should have a spot that they can sit an enjoy their hobby. As to the man who said he got "stink eye" had to laugh as he is the one who stank !! to Cigars stink - if you chose to smoke that is your right but the rest of us should not have to smell it. Areas should be set aside for people to enjoy a drink and a cigar - please just not in public areas.
Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

I guess i will not enjoy my cigar in pubic when people stop using to much perfume which is harmful to other, not washing hands when using bathrooms, dropping food on ground and not picking it up, screaming at each other in public, swearing in public, over eating in public and last it one of my enjoyments for 40 plus years. So, i think I've earned a right to enjoy my cigar in a place that Disney has set aside.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
Cold71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
I enjoyed reading the comments on the cigar shop closing in Downtown Disney. I am a non-smoker but do believe that smokers should have a spot that they can sit an enjoy their hobby. As to the man who said he got "stink eye" had to laugh as he is the one who stank !! to Cigars stink - if you chose to smoke that is your right but the rest of us should not have to smell it. Areas should be set aside for people to enjoy a drink and a cigar - please just not in public areas.
Technically speaking all of WDW is a public area... I would agree standing in the middle of a theme park with a smoke is absurd which is why no one does it (outside of the spots Disney has setup). I personally think however standing in the middle of DTD is entirely different. I feel like realistic expectations would tell anyone that if your going to sit at an outdoor bar in the middle of the night your probably going to see a few smokers.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #29
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold71 View Post
Technically speaking all of WDW is a public area... I would agree standing in the middle of a theme park with a smoke is absurd which is why no one does it (outside of the spots Disney has setup). I personally think however standing in the middle of DTD is entirely different. I feel like realistic expectations would tell anyone that if your going to sit at an outdoor bar in the middle of the night your probably going to see a few smokers.
Its a public area on private property. Not against the law, but against policy and "rules".
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
jameson314
Earning My Ears

does anyone know if you can smoke cigars at the Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Floridian? There are cigars on the menu and my husband was looking forward to going there and enjoying a cigar during our trip in september. I think it is strange that you would be able to buy cigars there and not be able to smoke them... any help is appreciated
jameson314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: