Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

Cigar Smokers

Hello to all my fellow cigar smokers out there,

I know this is not exactly breaking news of any kind, but the closure of the Sosa Cigars bar in DTD really bums me out. I'm sure it has been discussed a few times on here already but I thought I would bring it up again. Sosa was the only bar on property where one could enjoy a drink and a cigar. Now, by no means did I think Sosa was a great place. The management and staff there were generally horrible and lacking of customer service. Their drinks were overpriced and their beer selection was underwhelming (I'm not much on bars that do not serve any draft beers). Heck, the bar itself with its fake ice top was atrocious. But in the end it was the only place to have a drink and smoke a nice cigar.

I really wish Disney would find a way to incorporate a new cigar bar into the Disney Springs plan. Sure there are designated smoking areas at every hotel and at each of the parks, but cigar smokers and cigarette smokers are very different from one another. Cigarette smokers take a quick smoke break, get their nicotine fix, and move on. Cigar smokers on the other hand take their time and enjoy a good smoke. That smoke is made better with a good beer or a nice glass of liquor. Cigar smokers really need a good bar somewhere on property to enjoy a smoke. What do you guys think?

For now I guess I will enjoy my cigars outside of the hotel with a six pack in hand.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
BigBlueWho
Mouseketeer

Wow. Did the smaller Sosa shop close as well?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

No the smaller shop down on the Westside is still open. They just don't serve drinks there. Personally I never liked the shop, they were always very rude to me everytime I walked in. Just no customer service at that place.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
JoeA
Mouseketeer

I used to smoke cigars on the hotel deck...ahhhh...the good ol' days! I usually head out and find a nice quite area with a cup full of rum and enjoy a nice cigar during my visits. Never did visit the shop you mentioned so I guess I'm not affected!
JoeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

My husband is so upset that Fuego (Sosa cigar bar) closed in DTD! Our trip this past December for our honeymoon just was not the same without it (although, with it being our honeymoon and everything it still was amazing!). We did rent a car and ventured into Orlando one day and went to Corona cigar- that was fun!
We usually stay at the boardwalk with a waterfront view and he is able to sit out on the little balcony every night and enjoy a glass of scotch and a cigar.
Disney really really needs to incorporate a new cigar bar in it's downtown area. I'm glad to know we are not the only ones who feel this way. How can we get the word out that this is what the guests want?!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
JoeA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_taffy05 View Post
My husband is so upset that Fuego (Sosa cigar bar) closed in DTD! Our trip this past December for our honeymoon just was not the same without it (although, with it being our honeymoon and everything it still was amazing!). We did rent a car and ventured into Orlando one day and went to Corona cigar- that was fun! We usually stay at the boardwalk with a waterfront view and he is able to sit out on the little balcony every night and enjoy a glass of scotch and a cigar. Disney really really needs to incorporate a new cigar bar in it's downtown area. I'm glad to know we are not the only ones who feel this way. How can we get the word out that this is what the guests want?!
You seem like a wonderful wife

Ok, that did remind me of a story that is not much to do with this thread....

We too like to stay at the Boardwalk (DVC owners there) and several years ago we were walking around the BW area and I was smoking a cigar. I asked my wife if she's go into ESPN and get a scotch and bring it out.

She went in (alone) and some guy at the bar immediately started hitting on her. He asked if he could buy her a double...she said sure, got the scotch and walked out!!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
BigBlueWho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeA View Post
You seem like a wonderful wife

Ok, that did remind me of a story that is not much to do with this thread....

We too like to stay at the Boardwalk (DVC owners there) and several years ago we were walking around the BW area and I was smoking a cigar. I asked my wife if she's go into ESPN and get a scotch and bring it out.

She went in (alone) and some guy at the bar immediately started hitting on her. He asked if he could buy her a double...she said sure, got the scotch and walked out!!
Great story!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

I may be in the minority but i did like Fuego's by Sosa. Was going there since it opened. Hope they do add a place for cigars in the new expansion. Now i smoke by the small pools at OKW and its not bad. Usually make a couple trips to Corona while we are down in Florida. This spring on a rainy day in Epcot sat in England at the outside bar had a beer and cigar with others and staff was fine since there were 6 or so people all doing the same.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

I don't think people realize how much different cigar smoking is from cigarette smoking.
Cigar smoking is an event, kind of like a hobby, it's a social event. Cigar smokers can spend an hour on one cigar, and just sit and enjoy conversation drinks, entertainment and their cigar. My DH and BIL were so upset when the cigar bar closed, they used to sit there for a while while my sis and I took the kids shopping in DTD. and when we stay at OKW they would take the ferry down at night just to smoke while the kids went swimming, or back to a park..
Add me to the list of people hoping there will be a new cigar bar when the Springs project is done.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

It's still an irritant...that can't be controlled by the originator...

The reality is that smoking of any kind has as much chance of Increased acceptance as the dodo does of repopulating itself in the wild
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
BuzzinDownToDisney
DIS Veteran

Seems the only place it's still considered acceptable to enjoy a cigar is on one of the golf courses, which is enjoyable but a far different experience than to leisurely enjoy one sitting amongst fellow aficionados.

Contemporary: '82 & '86
Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 & 2004
Bay Lake Towers: 2014 Summer
Contemporary: 2014 Last minute Christmas Trip
BuzzinDownToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
JoeA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
Seems the only place it's still considered acceptable to enjoy a cigar is on one of the golf courses, which is enjoyable but a far different experience than to leisurely enjoy one sitting amongst fellow aficionados.
Too true. I had a neighbor complain when I was smoking a cigar outside in my own backyard! She moved and I am smoking a cigar in my backyard while typing this
Old 07-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
nerderella
Mouseketeer

DH and I are also disappointed Fuego is closed. We would go a few times each trip and meet the most interesting people. We never went there to buy the cigars, so the shop doesn't do much for us unless they add the ability to also get overpriced drinks there too.

Hopefully they'll add another cigar bar. One can hope, right?
nerderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Cold71
Mouseketeer

Wow, I wasn't aware that they closed this down. Never really sat down for a drink in there but I preferred buying cigars here as it saved me a trip from having to walk down to the smaller shop. Oh well, I guess I'll be lighting my cigars up and getting nasty stares down on the west side now.
Cold71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post
I don't think people realize how much different cigar smoking is from cigarette smoking.
Cigar smoking is an event, kind of like a hobby, it's a social event. Cigar smokers can spend an hour on one cigar, and just sit and enjoy conversation drinks, entertainment and their cigar. My DH and BIL were so upset when the cigar bar closed, they used to sit there for a while while my sis and I took the kids shopping in DTD. and when we stay at OKW they would take the ferry down at night just to smoke while the kids went swimming, or back to a park..
Add me to the list of people hoping there will be a new cigar bar when the Springs project is done.
Amen! Smoking a cigar is an event in itself. I really enjoying sitting and smoking a cigar for awhile as I enjoy a few drinks. I just got back from a long weekend trip to DC. While we were there we sat outside at Shelly's Backroom and enjoyed drinks and cigars. We met several people and enjoyed lots of conversation and people watching. It was a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
Oh I definately enjoy a couple of cigars on the golf course, but you can't beat a good bar to leisurely enjoy your smoke. My horrible shots on the course seem to suck some of the pleasure out of my good cigars.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: