Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #31
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I think the timing of your email might have generated the response you received. To address the issue with the specific employee who handled your room reassignment, they will have to figure out who was on duty at that time, and who worked on that particular issue. With employees coming and going and the number of guests and issues they deal with, it will likely be difficult to find someone who even remembers what happened. I would think that Guest Communications will forward your email to the manager at AKL so they can be aware of it. Beyond that, an apology was just about all they could offer at this point. My advice is to email Guest Communications as soon as you can when an issue arises. That's the best way to ensure it will be dealt with appropriately.

Last year, I witnessed a bus driver treat a guest in an extremely poor manner. I saw the entire interaction in which the guest asked a simple question and was ultimately told to "shut up" by the driver. I emailed Guest Communications the very next morning, giving the date, time, location, bus route, and first name of the driver. I received a call during the week after we returned from our trip. The rep. who called me said the details I included in my message will help them quickly identify the driver so they could discuss the incident with him. I was thanked profusely for alerting them. That was the end of it. I was satisfied that I had done my part in reporting what I thought was a really bad situation.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #32
LetsGoToo
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Either way, the OPs wife would have had to come to the FD to check into their new room I assume or sync their MBs since the OP wasn't around to do it for her. They let her stay in the room free of charge when there is typically a fee. I don't care for the call center policy, but that's the way it goes.
Totally agree
LetsGoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #33
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoWeGo View Post
Guess I should have figured my story might be distorted. If you notice, I did not ask for any compensation, ever. I emailed to let Disney know what happened. I agree that this was way late, and that being late reduces the effectiveness. But as upset as I was at the time, it is only recently that I've had he desire to make contact.

I simply think Disney dropped the ball on this one and I was uneasy with their reaction. It wasn't that Disney's reaction to my email was inappropriate. But it left me feeling like I just talked to Home Depot. No pixie dust there.
It's because you waited so long. I'm not sure what you would expect them to say. I own a business and I can't imagine someone calling me saying "7 months ago you upset me". Like honestly I would think they were on drugs. Lol. Not trying to bust your chops too bad but you've gotta see how.....frivolous your complaint seems now.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #34
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo View Post
Why does Disney do this though? No one that pays that kind of money for a hotel room should expect to have to leave the room to get simple requests accomplished.

I don't know another high end hotel that does this and I stay in hotels 200+ nights a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
More than likely so the front desk can handle the I person guests versus trying to field phone calls and keeping people in person waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo View Post
Maybe so, but other hotels seem to be able to answer the phone with on-site personnel and service in-person guests without sending calls off site.

I don't know, but whatever it is, no guest should expect to have to go downstairs to get things accomplished.

We are talking about a $400+ per night property here.
Well, other hotels don't consolidate phone calls from potentially 27,000+ rooms per night. A call center (which I think is actually on-site, unlike the resevationists) can handle all these calls most efficiently, while letting Cast Members at the actual Front Desk focus on the guests facing them.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #35
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Guess I should have figured my story might be distorted. If you notice, I did not ask for any compensation, ever. I emailed to let Disney know what happened. I agree that this was way late, and that being late reduces the effectiveness. But as upset as I was at the time, it is only recently that I've had he desire to make contact.

I simply think Disney dropped the ball on this one and I was uneasy with their reaction. It wasn't that Disney's reaction to my email was inappropriate. But it left me feeling like I just talked to Home Depot. No pixie dust there.
I'm sorry you had this experience. I have no idea why the desk would phone to say the room was ready, then when she got down had another story. It shouldn't have happened. Disney did drop the ball, agree.

As you've heard from many, when you need something from front desk, it's always best to go there in person, the room phone does send your call to an off site call centre.

I had a bad experience at a wdw resort last year on my check out day. I had to think about it some before writing to Disney. I waited 2-3 weeks before writing. But really, it shouldn't be months after.

IMO Disney did address the matter for you, they do take complaints seriously, and I'm sure the matter got addressed with the staff. I'm not sure what you wanted out of the phone conversation, but if you felt they weren't addressing your concerns, you could have asked some questions, or discussed it further.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #36
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had an experience with WDW guest communications that I thought I'd pass on. I'm a little taken aback by the experience, although I don't know if it's a common situation or not. Sorry for the length.

Our family visited WDW for 7 nights early last December. We stayed at AKV-Kidani Village. On checkin we asked for a room nearer to the lobby, which would be possible the next day and which we agreed to. Our trouble started the first night. My wife came down with a stomach virus and spent half the night in the bathroom. The next morning I called the front desk to confirm that we still desired a room change. I explained the situation and asked that they let my wife stay in the room until the new one was ready, which the cast member said would not be a problem. At this point I took our son to Epcot for the morning while my wife slept and recovered.

I called her later that morning to find that the front desk had called and said the new room was ready and asked her to come down to the lobby to finalize the room change. She did so only to be told in the lobby that no room would be ready until 4:00pm and asked her what she planned to do in the interim. Tired, nauseous and alone, she broke down in tears. Eventually they told her she could wait in the room until the new room was ready. When I heard this I was crushed.

While I know I was doing so quite late, last week I emailed WDW guest communications with the details above. My goal was to help them understand what had happened so they could avoid it in the future. I received a call from them this past weekend. The CM was very nice and said that what we experienced should never happen on any vacation, no less at Disney. He apologized and said the issue would be discussed with the Kidani staff. The call lasted about 3 minutes total.

Afterward I thought some more about the call. I realized that the CM never mentioned any details of the incident (did he even know what happened?). And he never asked how he could make things right. Now, I didn't initiate this to get something out of it. If I had I sure would have said something. But I'm torn by the thought that the CM I talked to had a list of apologies to get through, and that's exactly what he did. He was nice, apologetic, and did nothing at all wrong wrong. But I have a nagging feeling that something is wrong here that I can't exactly put into words.
Right at the point where you said that the "front desk" said that she could stay in the room until the next one was ready and you went off to Epcot, I could predict how this story was going to go.

I think you are really lucky that they let her back in the room to stay while waiting for the other one. Really lucky. I would have predicted that they would have just made her sit in the lobby. I would consider that your "pixie dust" and just be happy they let her go back in.

I think it's crazy that hotels that market themselves as deluxe think it's ok to funnel front-desk phone calls to a call center. Only at Disney!

I know what you're talking about, that feeling that you're just another sheep, that he had a list of apologies to make that day. Unfortunately, that's just the way Disney is now. At least they tried to call to apologize?

I expect nothing at the Disney hotels, nothing. Just the basics. Honestly, you got even more than that by letting her stay in the room, I'm really surprised they did that.

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 07-22-2014 at 07:34 AM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #37
LetsGoToo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Well, other hotels don't consolidate phone calls from potentially 27,000+ rooms per night. A call center (which I think is actually on-site, unlike the resevationists) can handle all these calls most efficiently, while letting Cast Members at the actual Front Desk focus on the guests facing them.
Many posters on this tread are saying their experience is just the opposite. That is, that the call center is off-site and that Disney doesn't do a good job handling calls from the rooms.

Disney isn't the only hotel operator with a large number of rooms.
LetsGoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #38
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

To be honest, if I were sick with a stomach bug, the very last thing I would want to do would be to switch my family's hotel resort room while my family was at Epcot. My response would have been "this room--- ANY room-- is fine as long as you let me sleep. If my husband wants to change the room, then he can do it. "

You waited over seven months to complain. So apparently, this wasn't something critical.

Yes, they made a mistake, saying that the room was ready when it wasn't.That's all they did wrong. It's not their fault that your wife cried-- and trust me, I'm a crier, I know the feeling. They didn't "make her cry"-- she was sick and tired and wanted sleep and she cried. But they were going above and beyond to try to accomodate your request. Had they just said "I'm sorry, but the only room we have is the one, far from the lobby, that you've been assigned" there would have been no issue, right??

But you've stated that you don't want compensation-- and the reality is that there's nothing to compensate. You paid for a room and you had a room. You requested a change, and they tried to accomodate you. Your wife was free to say "No thanks, I'm too sick, we'll stay in the room we have"-- even in the lobby, when she learned that the other room wasn't ready. The choice was hers. Had you been there, that's probably the choice you would have made. But she was sick and tired and upset and alone, so she couldn't think clearly. I sympathize, but none of that is Disney's fault.

It's been over half a year. How exactly is Disney supposed to respond? What are they supposed to do? In your words, " He was nice, apologetic, and did nothing at all wrong wrong." So what else are you looking for?

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 07-22-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #39
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

OP: sorry for the rough experience.

I understand the underwhelming feeling you describe about the encounter with guest services after a complaint. I've had that same feeling and remember feeling a little let down, as you describe. The "We're sorry" call is highly generic. In fairness to Disney, and as some PPs have pointed out, because there isn't really anything they can do about what already happened. But they want to respond to you (even if only by apology statements).

Judging by post on these boards alone, loads of guests are satisfied with the "we're sorry" call. It very much makes sense for Disney to make these calls, even if it really is only a platitude.

I am sure Disney does track complaints in the aggregate, and can make system improvements with that data. But with the sheer volume of issues Disney manages, fair or not, a single complaint (absent specific names and offenses) is not designed for system improvement.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #40
averysmom
DIS Veteran

I don't think Disney handled their apology incorrectly. You send an email 7 months after the fact, and they called you to apologize. I think that's pretty good, TBH.

Since you were changing rooms at your request, I'm not sure that this applies, but I believe that there is a law that states that now innkeeper can ask/ force a sick guest from vacating a room. It could be state-to-state, but I know this is the law in Nevada. So if this is the law in Florida, and if the circumstances still warrant it (since OP initiated the room change), I think Disney had to allow her to stay in the room... So not a favour, but rather a necessity.

Someone should look it up!

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #41
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

According to the OP, "She did so only to be told in the lobby that no room would be ready until 4:00pm and asked her what she planned to do in the interim. "

I read that as "where will you be?" Perhaps not realizing she was sick, he assumed she might be at the parks? Or, realizing she was sick, at an Urgent Care Center? Visiting a doctor" Taking a cab to a local pharmacy?

I don't read it as "you and your stuff are out on the street until 4 pm" though I can see how someone tired and sick and upset and alone might interpret it that way. But, again, she had the option of saying "no thanks, I'll keep my old room."

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 07-22-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #42
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

With all due respect, Disney didn't drop the ball. You did when you left your sick wife alone to deal with a room change. It is no simple thing. Besides registering for the second room there is the luggage to deal with. Unless you expected them to let you store your luggage in the first room until you showed back up?

7 months after the fact is way to late to register a complaint and expect any sort of helpful response. I'm not sure what you think they can do about the situation now.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 07-22-2014 at 09:44 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #43
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Disney did not drop the ball. You did. You should have either kept the room you were in, or stayed and helped your wife move. How did you think she was switching rooms without going to the front desk? Were they supposed to hold all of your stuff in the second room until you decided to come back from the parks? If you needed further assistance, you should have stayed and see to it that you got it. Not left your sick wife to deal with it, and expected the CMs to see to her needs . And now 7 months later you expect something more from them? It is posts like these that leave me baffled. How can anyone leave a sick family member alone, and expect employees to help them in their place?
This is my feeling. If she was well enough to be left alone to handle the move I don't see how anyone didn't expect her to have to visit the front desk and pack and move. I can totally understand wanting to be left alone to sleep when so,one ones sick, but if my husband was as sick as the OP leads me to believe, the farthest is be going would be the pool so I could continue to check on them and be available should anything need doing.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

You say you don't want compensation, but you were disappointed that there was no pixie dust. What pixie dust did you expect that wouldn't be considered compensation? A call from Mickey Mouse himself?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #45
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
To be honest, if I were sick with a stomach bug, the very last thing I would want to do would be to switch my family's hotel resort room while my family was at Epcot.
This is a good point. If someone got sick, why not just forego the room move until possibly another day? I would prefer to just stay in a room than to have to deal with a move while I was sick.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: