Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
HiHoWeGo
It's off to work I go, until my next Disney visit. Maybe!

Uneasy experience with guest communications

I had an experience with WDW guest communications that I thought I'd pass on. I'm a little taken aback by the experience, although I don't know if it's a common situation or not. Sorry for the length.

Our family visited WDW for 7 nights early last December. We stayed at AKV-Kidani Village. On checkin we asked for a room nearer to the lobby, which would be possible the next day and which we agreed to. Our trouble started the first night. My wife came down with a stomach virus and spent half the night in the bathroom. The next morning I called the front desk to confirm that we still desired a room change. I explained the situation and asked that they let my wife stay in the room until the new one was ready, which the cast member said would not be a problem. At this point I took our son to Epcot for the morning while my wife slept and recovered.

I called her later that morning to find that the front desk had called and said the new room was ready and asked her to come down to the lobby to finalize the room change. She did so only to be told in the lobby that no room would be ready until 4:00pm and asked her what she planned to do in the interim. Tired, nauseous and alone, she broke down in tears. Eventually they told her she could wait in the room until the new room was ready. When I heard this I was crushed.

While I know I was doing so quite late, last week I emailed WDW guest communications with the details above. My goal was to help them understand what had happened so they could avoid it in the future. I received a call from them this past weekend. The CM was very nice and said that what we experienced should never happen on any vacation, no less at Disney. He apologized and said the issue would be discussed with the Kidani staff. The call lasted about 3 minutes total.

Afterward I thought some more about the call. I realized that the CM never mentioned any details of the incident (did he even know what happened?). And he never asked how he could make things right. Now, I didn't initiate this to get something out of it. If I had I sure would have said something. But I'm torn by the thought that the CM I talked to had a list of apologies to get through, and that's exactly what he did. He was nice, apologetic, and did nothing at all wrong wrong. But I have a nagging feeling that something is wrong here that I can't exactly put into words.
1982 Spring break - Day trip
1972 Summer - Fort Wilderness Campground
HiHoWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

Ummm.. What did you want them to do?
Was your vacation ruined because of this incident?

They tried to accommodate you and there were still issues.

You say you didn't want any compensation, but wasn't satisfied with an apology.
So...what did u want them to do?

If I was the sick wife, I wouldn't have gone anywhere but to a new room. They could have waited for my husband to come back from Epcot or else I may have been crying in the lobby also!
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I don't even understand what the problem is. They can't make something right that happened 7 months ago. They ended up letting your wife stay in the room.

They obviously read your email or they wouldn't have had your phone number. They apologized and said they'd address the issue with the staff which it sounds like was your stated purpose for the email. What else do you want if you aren't looking for something 'extra?'
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Yeah there's nothing you need be compensated for. Someone probably failed to remember your wife was ill when they were making the change. Honestly if she were ill I would think you would cancel the room change request so she didn't have to suffer through a move but hey....that's just me.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I understand. I'm sorry your wife was sick on vacation...they let her stay in the room. They apologized for "making her cry".

What would have made you feel not "uneasy" about it?

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

I guess I am failing to see what they did wrong in the first place. She came down, they asked her what she was going to do, she broke down because she was sick which it is unlikely the person she was talking to knew, they let her stay because of her situation. Seems like they accommodated the situation.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoWeGo View Post
I had an experience with WDW guest communications that I thought I'd pass on. I'm a little taken aback by the experience, although I don't know if it's a common situation or not. Sorry for the length.

Our family visited WDW for 7 nights early last December. We stayed at AKV-Kidani Village. On checkin we asked for a room nearer to the lobby, which would be possible the next day and which we agreed to. Our trouble started the first night. My wife came down with a stomach virus and spent half the night in the bathroom. The next morning I called the front desk to confirm that we still desired a room change. I explained the situation and asked that they let my wife stay in the room until the new one was ready, which the cast member said would not be a problem. At this point I took our son to Epcot for the morning while my wife slept and recovered.

I called her later that morning to find that the front desk had called and said the new room was ready and asked her to come down to the lobby to finalize the room change. She did so only to be told in the lobby that no room would be ready until 4:00pm and asked her what she planned to do in the interim. Tired, nauseous and alone, she broke down in tears. Eventually they told her she could wait in the room until the new room was ready. When I heard this I was crushed.

While I know I was doing so quite late, last week I emailed WDW guest communications with the details above. My goal was to help them understand what had happened so they could avoid it in the future. I received a call from them this past weekend. The CM was very nice and said that what we experienced should never happen on any vacation, no less at Disney. He apologized and said the issue would be discussed with the Kidani staff. The call lasted about 3 minutes total.

Afterward I thought some more about the call. I realized that the CM never mentioned any details of the incident (did he even know what happened?). And he never asked how he could make things right. Now, I didn't initiate this to get something out of it. If I had I sure would have said something. But I'm torn by the thought that the CM I talked to had a list of apologies to get through, and that's exactly what he did. He was nice, apologetic, and did nothing at all wrong wrong. But I have a nagging feeling that something is wrong here that I can't exactly put into words.
Bolding is mine. Here's where your problem lies. When you call the front desk from your room, you don't get the front desk -- you get a call center (usually not even in Florida) that pretends to be the resort's front desk.

There's every chance your phone conversation with the "front desk" was never actually relayed to the resort. Next time you need to work something out with the front desk, you should walk down to the front desk. That way, you've spoken to the people actually working at the resort, not just a call-center CM.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I personally think that Disney already pixie dusted you by allowing you to change rooms because you didn't like the first location AND allowing you to stay in the first room until 4:00 when the regular check-out time is 11:00.

I would be happy that Disney did not make your wife leave at the normal check-out time and count my blessings, not be looking for compensation from Disney.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoWeGo View Post
Eventually they told her she could wait in the room until the new room was ready.
Define eventually....

Was your wife crying and explaining the situation to the cm's at the front desk and then they said she could stay? To me, the problem was minimal and it was rectified quickly.

Or was she sitting in the lobby crying for an hour because she had no place to go and finally a cm said okay, I guess you can stay in your room. That would be a problem, but it would be one that I would deal with as soon as I found out about it by asking to speak to a manager.

Regardless of the situation, they did call you back after you emailed them and although they didn't discuss specifics with you, you sent them detailed information so whoever called you would have read it. They agreed that it shouldn't have happened, so I think that apology should be perfectly acceptable.

Sorry your wife was sick though.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

I think he's upset because it sounds like the Cast member told the wife one thing on the phone, to get her to leave the room and come downstairs ("Your Room is Ready! We just need you to finalize some details....") only for her to be told something entirely different when she went down stairs ("You need to Check out/Your new room won't be ready for many hours"). I mean, that is essentially the gist of what happened. And DH did everything he could to try to prevent this from happening, so I believe he is still upset over WHY it did happen. The apolagy is unsatisfying because while it was profuse, it offered no explanation over WHY it happened. Why did the cast member lie to DW to get her to leave the room? Why couldn't they have been truthful to her on the phone when she was still in the old room and tell here then and there the new room would not be ready for hours later. It would have been easier for his wife to handle this while she was in her room, as she was sick. Instead, they trick her to come downstairs, she thinks she's just going to sign something, then they blitz attack her when she's sick and vulnerable.

I'm sorry, but to me, it IS the kind of thing that just an "I'm sorry" isn't good enough. There should have been an explanation and I believe Disney should have given them a rebate as well. Pixiedust doesn't include lying to sick guests. Disney allowing her to stay in the room is the equivalent of them saving face and trying to avert a publicity disaster. That's not pixie dust. Pixie dust is when Disney happily and unexpectedly does something wonderful to accommodate you out of pure niceness and kindness. This was Disney embarrassed and realizing they were in the wrong trying to avoid a major issue.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. Also, the apology sounded very scripted, just wanted to add. And again no explanation.
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Jadyreen1282
Mouseketeer

Having a hard time understanding why you waited that long to complain. You need to correct unacceptable (loosely used term) behavior immediately or you don't help the next guy that deals with the CM at the front desk. Not much they can do but apologize for the inconvenience that far down the road. Kind of have to think they did nothing out of ordinary.

I've been ill at vacation too and its no picnic. All I wanted to do was crawl in bed, much less move to another room. She's a trooper.

1977 Days Inn (I was 12)-1983 Just passing through on Spring Break-1985 Contemporary-1989 Disney Village(Grosvenor)-1996 Disney Village (Lake Buena Vista Resort)-1997 Dixie Landings-1999 Dixie Landings-2001 Off Site-2010 Port Orleans Riverside-2012 Port Orleans Riverside-2014 Port Orleans Riverside (Aug 2014 coming up!)
Jadyreen1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBlast3 View Post
I think he's upset because it sounds like the Cast member told the wife one thing on the phone, to get her to leave the room and come downstairs ("Your Room is Ready! We just need you to finalize some details....") only for her to be told something entirely different when she went down stairs ("You need to Check out/Your new room won't be ready for many hours"). I mean, that is essentially the gist of what happened. And DH did everything he could to try to prevent this from happening, so I believe he is still upset over WHY it did happen. The apolagy is unsatisfying because while it was profuse, it offered no explanation over WHY it happened. Why did the cast member lie to DW to get her to leave the room? Why couldn't they have been truthful to her on the phone when she was still in the old room and tell here then and there the new room would not be ready for hours later. It would have been easier for his wife to handle this while she was in her room, as she was sick. Instead, they trick her to come downstairs, she thinks she's just going to sign something, then they blitz attack her when she's sick and vulnerable.

I'm sorry, but to me, it IS the kind of thing that just an "I'm sorry" isn't good enough. There should have been an explanation and I believe Disney should have given them a rebate as well. Pixiedust doesn't include lying to sick guests. Disney allowing her to stay in the room is the equivalent of them saving face and trying to avert a publicity disaster. That's not pixie dust. Pixie dust is when Disney happily and unexpectedly does something wonderful to accommodate you out of pure niceness and kindness. This was Disney embarrassed and realizing they were in the wrong trying to avoid a major issue.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. Also, the apology sounded very scripted, just wanted to add. And again no explanation.
I'm sorry but this seems exaggerated. Tricking, blitz attack, lying, publicity disaster, major issue-I don't think any of these things describe the situation.

It appears to be an unfortunate inconvenience that was short-lived and resolved.

Last edited by Allison; 07-21-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
Yeah there's nothing you need be compensated for. Someone probably failed to remember your wife was ill when they were making the change. Honestly if she were ill I would think you would cancel the room change request so she didn't have to suffer through a move but hey....that's just me.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #14
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
I'm sorry but this seems exaggerated. Tricking, blitz attack, lying, publicity disaster, major issue-I don't think any of these things describe the situation.

It appears to be an unfortunate inconvenience that was short-lived and resolved.
They told her on the phone her room was ready. They told her in the lobby it wasn't. No one seems to want to address this. I love Disney and I love their Cast Members. But this wasn't right. They made her cry. That wasn't magical. Try to imagine this is happening to you on your vacation when you're sick and not equipped to handle it. When you don't feel like arguing. When it's you, you wouldn't feel it was being exaggerated. I feel like way too much benefit of the doubt is being given to the Cast Members in this thread.

I just don't see why the Cast Member couldn't have been truthful when they called her on the phone while she was resting in her room. It was just so unnecessary to drag her downstairs under false pretenses.
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
gericoronado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Bolding is mine. Here's where your problem lies. When you call the front desk from your room, you don't get the front desk -- you get a call center (usually not even in Florida) that pretends to be the resort's front desk.

There's every chance your phone conversation with the "front desk" was never actually relayed to the resort. Next time you need to work something out with the front desk, you should walk down to the front desk. That way, you've spoken to the people actually working at the resort, not just a call-center CM.
You are absolutely right about that. Whenever I have needed to communicate something critical, I walked to the Front Desk. That way I know I am speaking with a person at my resort.
gericoronado is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: