Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 702

YC vs WL room size noticeable?

I felt extremely cramped in the WL rooms and am thinking of trying the YC. Has anyone that has stayed at both noticed an actual difference? Our other option is 2 value rooms or suite at AoA which would be about $350 less. Its myself, DH, DD5 & DS1.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran
 
tiger4me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
I felt extremely cramped in the WL rooms and am thinking of trying the YC. Has anyone that has stayed at both noticed an actual difference? Our other option is 2 value rooms or suite at AoA which would be about $350 less. Its myself, DH, DD5 & DS1.
The WL is 344 SQ Feet and yes room is smaller than the Yacht Club. And I have stayed at both. Yacht Club's room is more roomier than the WL's room.
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming
 
vinotinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,164

Check this out:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/02...quare-footage/

WL is avg 344 and YC is average 381.

I did find the rooms at YC to feel roomier than WL.

HTH!
__________________

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran
 
Aurora0427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
I felt extremely cramped in the WL rooms and am thinking of trying the YC. Has anyone that has stayed at both noticed an actual difference? Our other option is 2 value rooms or suite at AoA which would be about $350 less. Its myself, DH, DD5 & DS1.
Yes.... We thought the rooms at WL were so tiny!!!! The rooms at YC are bigger, and they felt much roomier!
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,203

We have stayed at both, and while we didn't find the rooms to be cramped, we did find the YC room to be roomier. Both are lovely resorts!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD8) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,979

I guess it's subjective. With only 2 adults & young child & baby I wouldn't feel very cramped at WL. I've stayed at WL with 2 adult daughters, one late teen & other early 20s. We stayed at YC last year and rooms are a bit larger.
The largest rooms would be at the monorail resorts. CR has the largest. GF is pretty large too. I wouldn't suggest Poly because of construction.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M
I guess it's subjective. With only 2 adults & young child & baby I wouldn't feel very cramped at WL. I've stayed at WL with 2 adult daughters, one late teen & other early 20s. We stayed at YC last year and rooms are a bit larger.
The largest rooms would be at the monorail resorts. CR has the largest. GF is pretty large too. I wouldn't suggest Poly because of construction.
Thanks. Perhaps I should have added that we are DVC so we are a bit spoiled when it comes to room size. We are making a "last minute" trip this fall so there's no DVC availability. For us WL was way to small so I'm trying to evaluate our options as far as rooms go. Since F&W will be going on I was thinking YC would be a good option. I just wasn't sure about how much bigger the rooms actually feel and from what you all have implied it seems like they do feel roomier
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Sunshine11
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52

Stayed at both WL and YC within the same year. Yes, YC rooms seems roomier, though we weren't terribly cramped at WL. Not sure if we went back to WL now after YC for the past few years if WL would seem small now. Two adults and two children should fit no problem comfortably at YC. Enjoy.
Sunshine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 5,123

We have stayed at both and the YC rooms are noticeably bigger. The distance between the foot of the bed and the credenza is wider. The distance between the bed and the outside wall is a lot wider. If you get a daybed it will feel even bigger. The dresser at the YC is wider and it does not contain the refrigerator. It has four drawers. The refrigerator is in the credenza. The bathroom sink area is wider with more counter space.
__________________
~ Sue



Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
Thanks. Perhaps I should have added that we are DVC so we are a bit spoiled when it comes to room size. We are making a "last minute" trip this fall so there's no DVC availability. For us WL was way to small so I'm trying to evaluate our options as far as rooms go. Since F&W will be going on I was thinking YC would be a good option. I just wasn't sure about how much bigger the rooms actually feel and from what you all have implied it seems like they do feel roomier
Request a room with a day bed. I think they are a tad larger then the ones without. YC has both.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
I felt extremely cramped in the WL rooms and am thinking of trying the YC. Has anyone that has stayed at both noticed an actual difference? Our other option is 2 value rooms or suite at AoA which would be about $350 less. Its myself, DH, DD5 & DS1.
We haven't stayed at the YC, but have stayed at the BC (same size rooms) as well as WL and I didn't find much difference in room size. The BC room was slightly larger, but I didn't find it to be that much roomier than the WL.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Skid Row
Posts: 3,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Request a room with a day bed. I think they are a tad larger then the ones without. YC has both.
Do you mean when you get to the resort? We're staying at the YC next month and requesting a daybed isn't one of the choices you can make online...
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 6,269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
Do you mean when you get to the resort? We're staying at the YC next month and requesting a daybed isn't one of the choices you can make online...
I would call and add that request to your reservation at least 4-5 days before you arrive. All rooms are assigned 2-3 days out, so it's best to get your requests documented before then.

Because the request choices during online check in are predetermined and limited, I always suggest calling them in. It's still the best way.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I would call and add that request to your reservation at least 4-5 days before you arrive. All rooms are assigned 2-3 days out, so it's best to get your requests documented before then.

Because the request choices during online check in are predetermined and limited, I always suggest calling them in. It's still the best way.
This is interesting because that was one of the selling points for me booking this resort (the day bed). The CM assured me that all rooms have these. Arrggg! Thank you all so much for the heads up, will put in the request, I think my DD5 would love the day bed.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLarson View Post
This is interesting because that was one of the selling points for me booking this resort (the day bed). The CM assured me that all rooms have these. Arrggg! Thank you all so much for the heads up, will put in the request, I think my DD5 would love the day bed.
Unfortunately, a lot of incorrect information is given out by CMs . Not all rooms at the BC/YC have a daybed, so that would have to be a request. Also, just wanted to mention that if you get to your room and it doesn't have a daybed, you could always go back down to the front desk and ask if another room with a daybed is available. It's not guaranteed that one would be available, but it never hurts to ask .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: