Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
microscopes
Mouseketeer

Caribbean beach vs POR French Quarter

Just curious which you would pick AND WHY!

Or Riverside for an additional $150?
microscopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Airship Ariadne
Mouseketeer

Honestly, the main difference (besides the themes, island vs. New Orleans) is that POFQ unlike POR and CBR is more compact.

Buildings are all close together, so less of a walk to everything, or more cramped feeling (two different views of the same thing). If you like spread out, then POR or CBR are better, if you like being close to the main building, the pool, all your neighbors, then POFQ.

We've stayed at POR, and visited POFQ, liked them both...are staying at CBR this time...because that was our option to get the free dining.

Wait, I forgot...beignets...POFQ has beignets...yum...though you have to change clothes after eating due to the powdered sugar.

Last edited by Airship Ariadne; 07-21-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Forgot the beignets, stupid me.
Airship Ariadne is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Out of the two, we've only stayed at CBR and we loved everything about it. The atmosphere was beautiful and relaxing, the food court was good with alot of choices, the pool was nice, and the bus transportation was quick and efficient. With that said, we choose our resort by theme/decor and POFQ doesn't appeal to us at all, so CBR would be my choice.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
nkereina
Wendy Darling

One thing that may sway you is that POFQ has been excluded from discounts lately. POFQ is probably the most popular of the moderates, and because it's the smallest, it books up easily and quickly.

We preferred POR over POFQ and think the extra $150 is worth it. You still get the boat to DTD which we love, and we like how spread out POR is. It never felt crowded, which is in contrast to how we felt at POFQ. We also think POR has one of the best food courts on property.

We will be checking out CBR for the first time this November. Only thing I'm nervous on is that it's the largest mod with 7 bus stops - I've often found myself complaining about 4 at POR and CSR, so 7 may exceed my limit!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
btk2333
Just passed ROFR BCV!

POFQ is our favorite moderate - love the compactness and the single bus stop. CBR is way to spread out and way too many bus stops for us.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Airship Ariadne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
we choose our resort by theme/decor and POFQ doesn't appeal to us at all, so CBR would be my choice.
I am the same way typically, which is why CBR never appealed to us...but since it had free dining this December and POFQ and POR didn't we figured we would try it out.

Especially since we don't spend that much time in the room...the resort theme was always just a little extra.

Of course, no matter which one you book, if an offer comes out that doesn't include yours, you can always switch and get the offer if you act on it before they run out of rooms...that how we got the free dining at CBR after having booked a room discount previously. Key with all discounts is to try to get them right away so you have more options on rooms included.
Airship Ariadne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
microscopes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
One thing that may sway you is that POFQ has been excluded from discounts lately. POFQ is probably the most popular of the moderates, and because it's the smallest, it books up easily and quickly.

We preferred POR over POFQ and think the extra $150 is worth it. You still get the boat to DTD which we love, and we like how spread out POR is. It never felt crowded, which is in contrast to how we felt at POFQ. We also think POR has one of the best food courts on property.

We will be checking out CBR for the first time this November. Only thing I'm nervous on is that it's the largest mod with 7 bus stops - I've often found myself complaining about 4 at POR and CSR, so 7 may exceed my limit!
Go Bills! Training Camp just pulled into town yesterday!

What don't you like about 7 bus stops? Just crowded buses? I'm assuming a larger resort like CBR would have more buses right?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both CBR and POFQ, and I have an upcoming trip in November at CBR. I love them both. Honestly, but I'd go for CBR based on the price. I'd rather save the money. I love the pool at CBR, and the walking doesn't so much bother me and if I was tired they do have an internal resort shuttle. POFQ is really nice and the foodcourt is pretty awesome! It's very small which I did like too, but for me I like the fact that I can save a little bit of money at CBR.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stayed at both, and for me, POFQ is head and shoulders above CBR. POFQ is much much smaller, and has only 1 bus stop compared to the 7 at CBR. That means much less time riding the bus. I also like that no matter where you are at POFQ you are a quick walk away from the food court or from the bus stop. That is not true at CBR.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
microscopes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I've stayed at both, and for me, POFQ is head and shoulders above CBR. POFQ is much much smaller, and has only 1 bus stop compared to the 7 at CBR. That means much less time riding the bus. I also like that no matter where you are at POFQ you are a quick walk away from the food court or from the bus stop. That is not true at CBR.
Much less time? From what I read its 5 more minutes haha.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
AprilAnney
Earning My Ears

Staying at POFQ this November. I was stuck between CBR & POFQ but we ended up going with POFQ (no particular reason). We did stop in to check the place out when we were there in September & we enjoyed the grounds...
AprilAnney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscopes View Post
I'm assuming a larger resort like CBR would have more buses right?
Not really. The buses run every 20 minutes or so regardless of the size of the resort. I guess that might mean a few more just because it takes longer to get around the resort. During really crowded times they may redirect a bus if the lines departing the parks for a specific resort are extreme but I don't think the larger resorts get more buses.

As to the OP question. I have mixed emotions about all of them. I used to dislike CBR due to several bad stays but friends booked there for free dining last year and we spent a night there to visit and I was pleasantly surprised -- enough that we have stayed there again. I used to love CSR but after a horrible Christmas stay two year ago, haven't been back. Loved POFQ for our holiday stay several years ago but it just doesn't seem the same without the holiday vibe. POR has been consistently an OK resort for us -- never spectacular but never bad. So if I had to make a choice to stay right now it would be CBR. If it was for the holidays it would be POFQ.
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
tink20
DIS Veteran

I like CBR, for the tropical feel. To me the pool here seems better. I also, like the food court. All the bus stops didn't really bother me. We have stayed at POR too, and I like it also, but of the two, CBR was my favorite. (We have not stayed at PORFQ, we didn't think out DS would like the pool there.)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
In my experience it takes much less time to pick up at 1 stop vs 7. Even if it takes 30 seconds to drive to each stop then 2 minutes to load, that is an additional 15 minutes.

The drivers would have to be hitting warp speed to drive to 7 stops and load all of the guests in 5 minutes.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's a little more than that, but not much. After spending 34 nights at CBR, it has been our experience that the entire loop takes about 6-7 minutes from the first stop until you are leaving CBR proper. If there's an ECV to load up, that time will get up to 9-10 minutes. We have had 30 nights of our stays in Jamaica which is the first stop picked up about 75% of the time. From our last trip I took the following notes on travel times from the moment we got on the bus until getting off the bus:

Epcot - 13 minutes
DHS - 12 minutes
AK - 15 minutes
MK - 22 minutes

We were big fans of POR and POFQ until our first stay at CBR in order to get Free Dining. After that first stay, we have not been able to stay anywhere else. We feel that POFQ is too small, it feels like a hotel instead of a resort. We like to walk around and explore our resort and that takes all of about 5 minutes at POFQ. The pool at CBR is much nicer and we prefer the food court as well. Because of it's size POFQ also feels like it's more crowded. We've stayed at CBR when it's at capacity during Free Dining and it never feels like it. You feel like it when at POFQ, there's a buzz to the main area that I don't feel at CBR. CBR is just such a nice break from the craziness at the parks. In fact our trips have gone from a week to 10 nights since we now like to have 2-3 resort days to enjoy CBR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: