Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran
 
fairytalelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,300

Why are Alaskan Cruises so much more expensive?

Just pricing out an Alaskan cruise and I noticed how much more expensive they are than cruises to the Bahamas and Carribean........why?
__________________



ME DH DSDisneyland(hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/05&12/05; Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05;WDW 2/04,6/05,5/12,10/14; Port Orleans Riverside 2/04&6/05;All Star Movies Resort 5/12;Coronado Springs 10/9/14;Disney Wonder 6/05;Disney Dream 4/12;Disney Fantasy 10/18/14
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
Just pricing out an Alaskan cruise and I noticed how much more expensive they are than cruises to the Bahamas and Carribean........why?
Couple of reasons, one thing port fees in Alaska are higher generally than in the Caribbean, at least in our experience.

And less availability typically means higher prices in any market. There are many more Caribbean/Bahama cruises than there are Alaska cruises.
__________________


13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 07-21-2014 at 01:30 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas
 
DISNEY FANTASY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The greatest City in the world, London England UK
Posts: 4,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
Just pricing out an Alaskan cruise and I noticed how much more expensive they are than cruises to the Bahamas and Carribean........why?
Because the Alaska cruise season is much shorter and in higher demand....ships cruise the Carib year round, do Supply and Demand....the supply is limited because of a short warm weather season.....and the demand is great.....lots of people want to go to Alaska. The cruise lines are profit making companies and they want to price their service as high as possible.

Port fees are not higher there lower and added on outside the cruise price Alaska charges $50 per cruise, not a lot of the fare at all!
__________________
I have personally, seen it, done it, 106 days on DCL ships, wrote the Blogs got the Mickey T shirts.
DCL Platinum Cruiser.
WDW, DLP, DL far too many times.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Over 15 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas
 
DISNEY FANTASY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The greatest City in the world, London England UK
Posts: 4,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Everything is more expensive in Alaska!
True food fuel all shipped in.
__________________
I have personally, seen it, done it, 106 days on DCL ships, wrote the Blogs got the Mickey T shirts.
DCL Platinum Cruiser.
WDW, DLP, DL far too many times.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Over 15 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Tenkawa
A Model of a Modern Major General
 
Tenkawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 214

More expensive origination port (Vancouver)
Shorter cruise season
limited number of ships (must be able to fit through panama canal, or live life in the pacific)
all in the USA (any services at those ports are paid at proper wages)

So that should answer most of it.

now for some other thoughts: some people think it is really expensive once they add airfare. To those of us who live on the west coast, we laugh. ever priced out a flight from here to Florida? owch!
Tenkawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
for my family
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178

Actually it is just the opposite. Our DCL Alaskan cruise last month was less expensive than our Easter WC on the Fantasy last year and quite a bit less than our EC cruise next June on the Fantasy.

In fact, a quick check of the DCL website shows a June 1st Alaska cruise next year is $1000 less than a June 6th cruise on the Fantasy for 2 adults in an inside stateroom.

I also think the OP and others are comparing 7 day cruises to 3 and 4 day cruises. The OP mentioned Bahama cruises as a comparison.
for my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 206

These are my thoughts, while I don't have financial data to back it up, I am pretty sure these factor into the cost.

A huge reason is that it costs money to get the ship there and back. While that is subsidized by relocation cruises, there is other additional costs.

For example, in Port Canaveral, all the ships share one port. If they are renting a port, that charge can't be spread over multiple ships.

The economy for Bahama & caribbean islands are dependent on tourism. Due to the amount of destinations in that area, cruise lines have the ability to negotiate a move favorable rate. On the other hand, Alaska is destination ports, so the is probably less negotiation.

I would also imagine that local wages are higher in Alaska vs Bahamas & Caribbean.

Not sure if this one plays into the cost, but currently only the wonder can go through the panama canal. All the other ships are too long.

Alaska is a seasonal location so there is a narrow window of time that they can run.

Finally (and most importatly). Because they can. If the Disney Cruise has no problem filling up the ship, why should they discount the rate?

(the same could be true for Europe, with the exception of not having to deal with the panama canal)
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
KristiMc
DIS Veteran
 
KristiMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 3,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by for my family View Post
Actually it is just the opposite. Our DCL Alaskan cruise last month was less expensive than our Easter WC on the Fantasy last year and quite a bit less than our EC cruise next June on the Fantasy.

In fact, a quick check of the DCL website shows a June 1st Alaska cruise next year is $1000 less than a June 6th cruise on the Fantasy for 2 adults in an inside stateroom.

I also think the OP and others are comparing 7 day cruises to 3 and 4 day cruises. The OP mentioned Bahama cruises as a comparison.
I was just going to say this. We are on the June 8, 2015 Alaska cruise and the price on opening day was a little less for the same category, same week on the Fantasy.
__________________
me DH DS13 DS10
2000:Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder 2006:WL 2008:POFQ 2010:BLT 2011:Disney Magic 2012:Disney Magic 2013:AKV 2013:Disney Fantasy 2014:HHI/Disney Dream
KristiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
for my family
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
These are my thoughts, while I don't have financial data to back it up, I am pretty sure these factor into the cost.

A huge reason is that it costs money to get the ship there and back. While that is subsidized by relocation cruises, there is other additional costs.

For example, in Port Canaveral, all the ships share one port. If they are renting a port, that charge can't be spread over multiple ships.

The economy for Bahama & caribbean islands are dependent on tourism. Due to the amount of destinations in that area, cruise lines have the ability to negotiate a move favorable rate. On the other hand, Alaska is destination ports, so the is probably less negotiation.

I would also imagine that local wages are higher in Alaska vs Bahamas & Caribbean.

Not sure if this one plays into the cost, but currently only the wonder can go through the panama canal. All the other ships are too long.

Alaska is a seasonal location so there is a narrow window of time that they can run.

Finally (and most importatly). Because they can. If the Disney Cruise has no problem filling up the ship, why should they discount the rate?

(the same could be true for Europe, with the exception of not having to deal with the panama canal)
Excellent analysis, except that DCL Alaska cruises are not more expensive than the same length cruises on DCL during similar times of the year.
for my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 861

If you compare prices of balconies there is a huge difference between Alaska and the Caribbean. Balconies go for a huge premium on all Alaska cruises, not just Disney, because it is a sightseeing cruise. If you are willing to do an inside stateroom then the cost may be similar.
__________________
-Jenn
Mom to Adrian and Cameron
DVC Member, Beach Club Villas
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
 
Four Swampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
If you compare prices of balconies there is a huge difference between Alaska and the Caribbean. Balconies go for a huge premium on all Alaska cruises, not just Disney, because it is a sightseeing cruise. If you are willing to do an inside stateroom then the cost may be similar.
That would make sense when you consider that the Wonder (DCL's only Alaska ship) has a LOT fewer balcony cabins than the Fantasy and Dream. Supply and demand is rearing its head on the cabin category!
__________________
Wonder 11/19/09 Bahamas // Magic 08/07/10Mediterranean // Wonder 03/27/11 Mexican Riviera
Dream 11/17/11 Bahamas // Fantasy 03/31/12 Maiden Voyage // Wonder 06/11/12 Alaska
Wonder 09/10/12 Vancouver to LA // Magic 06/15/13 Mediterranean // Magic 11/06/13 Key West & CC
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 5,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by for my family View Post
Excellent analysis, except that DCL Alaska cruises are not more expensive than the same length cruises on DCL during similar times of the year.
I knew we paid more for Alaska so I did some research.

We are paying $1100 more for Alaska this year than we paid for an Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy last year.

Just for kicks, I checked cruisefish to see what the difference would be for the Fantasy this year the same week we are going to Alaska and it is $609 less (per adult) for the Fantasy EC than the Wonder Alaska - opening day pricing.

Oh, that is for a 4B room (I compared with what we have booked).

BUT.....
The inside rooms were about $400 - $500 cheaper for the Alaska cruise than the Fantasy EC on opening day.

So it depends on what room type you book but yes, Alaska can be close to the same or even less expensive then other cruises the same week
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,263

I would definitely agree that balconies are more expensive in Alaska - not just on Disney. I'm going on a Holland America cruise with a running group leaving Seattle on Saturday. There was about a $500-ish difference between an inside cabin and an ocean view cabin (which based on the layout is pretty much a joke on the Westerdam - either the bed is separated into 2 twins so you can lean over the nightstands to look out the window or you get to kneel on the head of the put-together beds to look out the window ), but about a $1000 difference between the ocean view and the lowest-level balcony.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
seacruise
Earning My Ears
 
seacruise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 72

Every time I have looked at Disney to Alaska it has been considerably more expensive than the caribbean. Balcony for the 4 of us next July is close to 10k. We booked the Magic in April to the Caribbean for half that.

We wanted to book the Wonder when it sailed out of Seattle, but same thing. We ended up booking the Fantasy to the Caribbean as it was cheaper to do that cruise and fly the 4 of us to MCO than to do the Alaska cruise which was 20 minutes from our house.

All the lines charge a bit of a premium for Alaska, but nothing compared to the difference I have seen on Disney.
seacruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: