Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
microscopes
Mouseketeer

Split stay - thoughts

We are staying at All-Star Sports and having a very hard time coming to grips with it. I see it as a great place for those who go more often than us. However, for families like us who go only once every 5 years or so I think it's probably better just to splurge on a nicer hotel. Or maybe im just a spoiled brat haha.

Anyway, my question is - how many of you have done split stays? I'm considering doing 4 nights at Caribbean Beach and 3 nights at All Star Sports.

1) Is it a pain in the butt moving hotels mid-week?

2) Does Disney have a special bus that transfers guests with luggage to a different hotel or do you take a normal bus with people going to parks etc? Will Disney transfer the luggage for you?

3) Having done a split stay, would you advise for it or against it?
microscopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Pirate4Ever
Mouseketeer

1- The only pain for us is having to pack up the night before the move. I hate packing and having to pack mid-vacation is not my idea of fun.

2- moving is simple! Bell services will transport your luggage to your new resort for you. We drop them off in the morning, head to a park, then take a bus to our new resort when we take a midday break. They'll tell you that your luggage won't be available until after 1:00 or so- we've never arrived without our bags so it hasn't been an issue.

3- Personally, I don't like it though we've done it twice. The only thing that I would suggest is doing your value resort stay FIRST, then move to the moderate. Going down a step can be a real bummer. We did a week at Boardwalk, then 3 nights at POP- really wish we would've finished at the Boardwalk!

Pirate4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We are doing our first split stay next month.....6 days at Pop followed by 12 days at POFQ.

The only reason I considered it was because we are staying for 18 days. I don't think I would consider a split stay if we were staying under two weeks. Moving after just 3 or 4 days would seem like a huge chore to me.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
scm200
Mouseketeer

as a DVC member I have found that split stays are part of my vacation plans, one thing I do is rent a car for that part of the trip and use it to transport anything I really care about via the car (my laptop, and other things of that type). The staying at value, then mod or deluxe is a very good idea. We are staying at Port Orleans, then Old Key West and finally Animal Kingdom Lodge DVC in 10 days....our Disney vacations are an adventure, but we are not "theme park commandos" and like spending time at the resorts too.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
microscopes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate4Ever View Post
1- The only pain for us is having to pack up the night before the move. I hate packing and having to pack mid-vacation is not my idea of fun.

2- moving is simple! Bell services will transport your luggage to your new resort for you. We drop them off in the morning, head to a park, then take a bus to our new resort when we take a midday break. They'll tell you that your luggage won't be available until after 1:00 or so- we've never arrived without our bags so it hasn't been an issue.

3- Personally, I don't like it though we've done it twice. The only thing that I would suggest is doing your value resort stay FIRST, then move to the moderate. Going down a step can be a real bummer. We did a week at Boardwalk, then 3 nights at POP- really wish we would've finished at the Boardwalk!
Interesting.

I was considering doing the moderate FIRST and then going to value.

Only because I thought we would be all excited to get to the moderate when we land!
microscopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran

Splurge on the nicer hotel. If you're accustomed to staying at nice hotels, you're going to be sorely disappointed by the all star sports. If you do a split stay, do the value first.
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

I do split stays, but I do it quite different. I do a split stay for 1-3 days at a Universal Hotel before moving down to Disney for the remainder of the trip. This upcoming trip in September we will be staying at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort for 2 nights then heading over to CSR for 8 nights. I prefer to do it this way because I get the best of both worlds. I love Disney, but I also love Universal. So getting to stay onsite at both resorts is great for us. If I was just doing a Disney trip and had no plans of visiting Universal, I would not do a split stay. I would splurge a little bit and get at least a moderate. I hate the values and refuse to stay there. Renting DVC points is another option to save some money and stay in a nicer resort.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
ksbean
Mouseketeer

1) Is it a pain in the butt moving hotels mid-week?

Depends on what you like. We tried it once between AKL and YC when we had 40% off room only code. We thought it was a pain to pack up and move mid trip. It does take additional time to check into your second resort.

2) Does Disney have a special bus that transfers guests with luggage to a different hotel or do you take a normal bus with people going to parks etc? Will Disney transfer the luggage for you?

Disney will transfer your luggage for you but you use regular transportation or take a cab

3) Having done a split stay, would you advise for it or against it?

Personally it wasn't for us. But only you can make that decision. Some people love split stays. We're just not one of those. A typical stay for us is is 10-11 nights for the trip.
ksbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

Last trip I did one and this trip too. I don't find it a pain. We never unpack from the suitcases. We leave everything in them- never use the drawers etc. We packed our bag, bell services moved it. Checked in at 4pm before dinner after being at the park and then moved into a room. Super easy. I too recommend doing the nicer resort at the end but if you can splurge on a nicer resort. I don't mind split stay at all because i love trying new resorts. Its an adventure for me

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

We've done spilt stays several times. Definitely start with the value and then move to the moderate.

We don't unpack either. Last time, we brought two big suitcases. I had clothes in one suitcase for the first part of the trip, and clothes for the second half in the other suitcase. We didn't really have to mess with that second suitcase much at all until we moved.

Bell services will bring your bags over to the new resort. We found that the best thing to do is pack up, call bell services, check out of the first resort, go to a park, and then in the late afternoon go to the new resort, check in, receive the bags in the new room, and go out to a park again. Or explore the second resort!

Switching is a great way to try different resorts and it gives you something ext a to look forward to after arrival.

WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Collette
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate4Ever View Post

This is what I think, too.

I love settling in somewhere for the duration of our trip. I've done a split stay twice, too, and avoid it if I can. I wouldn't want to do it for less than 4 nights at each resort. Some say it seems like two different vacations. To me it felt like two way too short vacations.

Since you don't go often, I would splurge on a moderate resort and cut back somewhere else if you need to.

If you do split, I would definitely do the value resort, 3 night stay first.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscopes View Post
Interesting.

I was considering doing the moderate FIRST and then going to value.

Only because I thought we would be all excited to get to the moderate when we land!
You will just be excited to get to Disney period when you land. Then you will be excited to get to a moderate 4 days later!

We do splits all the time and always move up, not down. Experience says you never want to go from good to fair.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
litlemermaid183
Earning My Ears

We will be doing our 2nd split stay 2 nights at AoA - Little Mermaid Room, then 2 nights at AKL - Kidani Village. I'm going to try and keep our luggage simple and separate because after Disney World, then we end our vacation at beach, so that's moving to 3 different rooms, in a one week. But that's how we always do our vacation, a couple nights here and couple nights there. Works for us to try it all and afford it.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Think that split stays allow you to experience 2 fun resorts!

Have done split stays before but have always had a car!

First trip using DME, but this trip it is just the "two of us". At first, I was a little nervous about having the freedom of a car, but now I am looking forward to savings some $$$ and using the Disney transport system.

CAN'T WAIT for our fun 5 day early December trip! WOW!

2 nights, Animal Kingdom Jambo, 2 nights VGF! A GREAT way to experience two resorts in one vaca!

Are we really "empty nesters" now? Where did the years go?
LOVE OUR DVC!:thumbsup
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
thelobstershanty
Parrotteer

Split stays are a good way to experience different resorts. BUT please keep in mind that your new resort room may not be available until 3pm or 4pm (villas) and check out time at the 1st resort is 11 am....so you may very well be without a room for a big part of the change day. It takes time to turn over rooms. Please keep this in your traveling agenda and do not take it out on the CMs, at the 2nd resort who are checking you in. I have seen and heard complaints and outrage many times from guests at the front desk of the 2nd resort, and it is like...........really?? You MUST be kidding!!

Steady Matey

thelobstershanty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: