Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
criddla
Earning My Ears

Drop off at Terminal??

Hi -

Has anyone had a spouse drop them and the kiddies at the port and then the spouse drives back to hotel to park car & take a shuttle back? I understand that we'd have to wait for DH before we could go to the Disney terminal and check in, but is this possible? Is it crazy chaotic? I'd be worried about getting lost.... If anyone has done this and could share their experience, that would be great!
criddla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

We usually have DH drop me and DD off at the port terminal, then he returns the rental car and takes their shuttle back to the port. He drops us at the curb where porters are waiting to take the luggage. If this is prior to 11:00AM, the cast members usually ask that you go into the 3rd floor of the parking garage to 'line up' and wait for the terminal to open. If you have your spouse's signatures on your cruise documents, you can get checked in, even if he/she has not yet returned to the port on the hotel shuttle.

Hope that helps!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Drop off at 9:30 for 11:00 PAT and got boarding group #5

I dropped my wife and daughter off at the port at 9:30. After handing luggage to porter, they were directed to wait in the over pass from the garage. I dropped off the rental car, and was back in the shuttle by 10:30. I waited with them another 15 minutes and we're allowed into the port building. We were in boarding group #5.

The process works great if you arrive Friday evening, stay overnight at MCO in-airport hotel, rent car in the morning and leave by 8:30.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddla View Post
Hi -

Has anyone had a spouse drop them and the kiddies at the port and then the spouse drives back to hotel to park car & take a shuttle back? I understand that we'd have to wait for DH before we could go to the Disney terminal and check in, but is this possible? Is it crazy chaotic? I'd be worried about getting lost.... If anyone has done this and could share their experience, that would be great!
Just did this for the July 5th Fantasy. We had two cars and husbands dropped the ladies, kids and luggage off at the curb. A porter was there right away to take our bags. We had to wait in a line to get into the terminal until about 10:35. We were 2nd Family in line. When they started letting us move we had to show our ID's at the gate and they asked our room number and then we proceeded into the terminal. Went through the security scanners and up the stairs to check in. Everyone needed new photos so when hubby got to the terminal later he had to go up to the counter and get his picture taken. They then gave him his KTTW card. You can go ahead in the terminal without your husband, just make sure he has government id to show at the gate.

The husbands were dropping cars off at Avis and hopped the shuttle back to the terminal. they had to have ID on them to get into terminal. They used drivers' licenses.

Side note:....when the line got too long downstairs by the gate personnel were directing new drop offs to go up to the 3rd floor of the parking garage to wait in that line. Apparently, that day, the 3rd Floor line started to be let into the terminal about 6 minutes before us waiting downstairs outside. A few people on our line saw everyone going in over the bridge and alerted the personnel downstairs. Staff said they had not been notified that people were allowed in. They radioed someone and we were allowed to start going in.

Another side story...our cars pulled up to the outside gate of the terminal at 9:58 and the attendant said he was sorry but we could not be let in. He said we absolutely could not pull up to the curb yet "or they would kill him" (his exact words). He made us circle around the whole terminal (hubby was not happy) and get back in the line again. Was frustrating because 2 cars behind us they let pull to the curb (saw it in the rear view mirror). If we arrived 2 minutes later we would have been fine or if we argued but I didn't want drama first thing so we just went around. The attendant directing traffic there was a young kid and he really did not have a clue how to handle the the two rows of cars coming in. You could tell he didn't have a grasp on the situation. They are being very strict on trying to get previous cruisers off and out before they start letting new people in.

They started boarding about 11:15 or so.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
jrl153
Earning My Ears

Hello,

My family has dropped off the last 4 cruises without issue but, my wife insists on waiting for me to return before heading in. I don't think there would be a problem for her to go in, she just likes having me around no matter what she tells everyone.
jrl153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

They will not have to wait to go into the terminal. They can proceed inside and, as long as they have your birth certificate or passport, handle check in for your group. When you return you will need to show your driver's license to get into the terminal. You will then need to stop at the check-in desk to have your picture taken and, possibly, get your KTTW card (they may give it to your wife).

If your wife would rather wait for you to check in that's okay too. She and the kids can still go into the terminal without you.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
criddla
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!
criddla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
mtchurchmonica
Poster formerly known as yazee1

We've always had Dh drop us off at the terminal and take the shuttle back to the hotel where we were leaving the car. Since the new parking garage wasn't built the last time we cruised, what people are posting here about the garage is new information to me. I'm glad to see it.

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, (upcoming) 2014
NCL Pearl 2010,
CCL Pride 2012, 2013
mtchurchmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Just did this for the July 5th Fantasy. We had two cars and husbands dropped the ladies, kids and luggage off at the curb. A porter was there right away to take our bags. We had to wait in a line to get into the terminal until about 10:35. We were 2nd Family in line. When they started letting us move we had to show our ID's at the gate and they asked our room number and then we proceeded into the terminal. Went through the security scanners and up the stairs to check in. Everyone needed new photos so when hubby got to the terminal later he had to go up to the counter and get his picture taken. They then gave him his KTTW card. You can go ahead in the terminal without your husband, just make sure he has government id to show at the gate.

The husbands were dropping cars off at Avis and hopped the shuttle back to the terminal. they had to have ID on them to get into terminal. They used drivers' licenses.

Side note:....when the line got too long downstairs by the gate personnel were directing new drop offs to go up to the 3rd floor of the parking garage to wait in that line. Apparently, that day, the 3rd Floor line started to be let into the terminal about 6 minutes before us waiting downstairs outside. A few people on our line saw everyone going in over the bridge and alerted the personnel downstairs. Staff said they had not been notified that people were allowed in. They radioed someone and we were allowed to start going in.

Another side story...our cars pulled up to the outside gate of the terminal at 9:58 and the attendant said he was sorry but we could not be let in. He said we absolutely could not pull up to the curb yet "or they would kill him" (his exact words). He made us circle around the whole terminal (hubby was not happy) and get back in the line again. Was frustrating because 2 cars behind us they let pull to the curb (saw it in the rear view mirror). If we arrived 2 minutes later we would have been fine or if we argued but I didn't want drama first thing so we just went around. The attendant directing traffic there was a young kid and he really did not have a clue how to handle the the two rows of cars coming in. You could tell he didn't have a grasp on the situation. They are being very strict on trying to get previous cruisers off and out before they start letting new people in.

They started boarding about 11:15 or so.

MJ

Ive emailed Disney that the way that the "new" drop off (after the Dream was announced and the terminal was renovated for everything except guests) is an accident waiting to happen.) The way I look at it is that you have may be 100' of length by about 16 feet wide if that, for arriving and in some cases departing guests to stand. It gets real crowded real quick sometimes. If someone hasn't been hit by a moving car or 2 cars connect, Id be surprised. What they should have done, was to make the first area a drop off only area, and the far side of the bridge a pick up only area. This does 2 things.
1. It reduces the number of vehicles and guests vying for the same property.
2. It reduces the amount of confusion where guests that just walked up get on a shuttle before those who were waiting. (Weve had that happen a few times)

The other thing they need to do is to send the parking attendants to the MK parking lot to learn to properly direct vehicles.

Had they done that, and added onto the guest area of the terminal, DCL easily could have done away with the PATs.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

I feel like I need a refresher... What time does the port terminal open? And what time do they allow you to drop off spouse/luggage/children at the curb?
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
truck1
Growing older but not up.

I believe the port opens at 10, and the terminal at 1030. As far as the porters, it varies, but usually somewhere in between. All depends on how fast the off going passengers debark. I think we got there about 945 in Oct of last year, by shuttle, and the porters didnt get to us until about 10-1015.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

You Tube With Your Answer

May 31, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQp...e_gdata_player
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: