Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #46
Beermam42
Grit and bear it
 
Beermam42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 598

Not True

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
But I will point out that the boarding number you get will be the same, regardless if you arrive early, or not.

That being said, Open Boarding generally begins around 12:30-12:45 (anyone holding any boarding number may board).
Two Cabins, two seperate reservations, connected, both 10:30PAT both checked in at counter right next to each other, one got group2 and one got group 3. Threw 3 away used the 2.






Things are crowed by 11:00. We were in the first 100 in terminal.
Cabanas serves lunch until 3:30. 30 mins before boat drill.


Watch video will give you some concept of what goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQp...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Beermam42; 07-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #47
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
Two Cabins, two seperate reservations, connected, both 10:30PAT both checked in at counter right next to each other, one got group2 and one got group 3. Threw 3 away used the 2.

Things are crowed by 11:00. We were in the first 100 in terminal.
Cabanas serves lunch until 3:30. 30 mins before boat drill.

Watch video will give you some concept of what goes on.
I don't mean that all people with the same PAT will have the same number, I mean that each party will get the same number no matter what time they check in.

As noted before, there are generally 3-4 numbers that are used within each PAT window. Which one you get seems to be based on the order you checked in online.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #48
Beermam42
Grit and bear it
 
Beermam42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 598

Not True

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
But I will point out that the boarding number you get will be the same, regardless if you arrive early, or not.

That being said, Open Boarding generally begins around 12:30-12:45 (anyone holding any boarding number may board).
Two Cabins, two seperate reservations, connected, both 10:30PAT both checked in at counter right next to each other, one got group2 and one got group 3. Threw 3 away used the 2.

Things are crowed by 11:00. We were in the first 100 in terminal.
Cabanas serves lunch until 3:30. 30 mins before boat drill.

Watch video will give you some concept of what goes on.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #49
Keyser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 378

Let me just add one thing: if you don't get your preferred PAT, don't stress out about it - you will still have a great cruise. Our first cruise we stayed near PC, and took a hotel shuttle in - we were going to be there pretty early (I don't think they had PATs at the time). Unfortunately, a bomb threat shut down the port, and so the hotel shuttle turned around and we had several hours' wait (we actually went to the beach for a while!). A very few people were already on ship, and had the ship to themselves for that whole time! We finally boarded with just time to go to our room and then head to the lifeboat drill. While we were upset at first that we had "missed" all the things we'd planned on doing we ended up having a great cruise and it wasn't long until we didn't even care about what we had supposedly missed.

That said, we try to board earlier just to maximize our time on ship, but if you find you don't get the early PAT you wanted, don't worry about it - you can still have a great cruise!
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 AM   #50
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
Thanks! I am really going to have to think on this. We LOVE getting there early and the sooner the better but if we have to spend 1.5 hours getting through everything to get on the ship I would almost rather just show up about noon and just walk on through. Thanks for info on your experience!
You're welcome. We will be arriving at the same time in January. Honestly, we could have been on the ship within 30 minutes from the time we arrived at port. However we wanted to wait and meet the characters, take some photos with the ship, do pressed pennys ect.

We arrived outside at approximately midday. Once our bags were taken by the kerbside porters, we went inside. We:

1. Took photos outside with the ship
2. Went into the port and went through security
3. Met Pluto (under a 5 minute wait)
4. Pressed Pennys
5. Met Goofy (under a 5 minute wait)
6. Checked in at the concierge desk (one family was in front of us)
7. Took some photos on the balcony with the ship
8. Boarded and were taken up to the concierge lounge. When we arrived at the lounge, it was 1:10pm

There was about 5 families waiting to take their boarding photos (as concierge we were taken to the front of the line) It seems most people arrive early or later (often the Disney Cruise Buses from WDW don't arrive until after 1pm)
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #51
AliceIn
DIS Veteran
 
AliceIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 1,263

Originally I'd planned to get to the terminal as early as possible, but after seeing some videos and pictures, changed my mind. We're going to stay at the Grand Floridian the night before instead of the Hyatt at MCO. We'll eat a leisurely breakfast, take a dip in the pool, then get on the DCL transfer to the port. My husband doesn't really like crowds, and I hate waiting around for things. We're in concierge, so I'm assuming we'll be able to get off the bus and check in and board very quickly. I figure the cabin may be ready for us, and we can just drop off our things in there and head to lunch.
__________________
Me, DH, DS 13, DS 10, DD 8


AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #52
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Originally I'd planned to get to the terminal as early as possible, but after seeing some videos and pictures, changed my mind. We're going to stay at the Grand Floridian the night before instead of the Hyatt at MCO. We'll eat a leisurely breakfast, take a dip in the pool, then get on the DCL transfer to the port. My husband doesn't really like crowds, and I hate waiting around for things. We're in concierge, so I'm assuming we'll be able to get off the bus and check in and board very quickly. I figure the cabin may be ready for us, and we can just drop off our things in there and head to lunch.
You go through the security line with everyone else however concierge have a separate check in desk so you won't have much of a wait. Once this is completed, you can be escorted onto the ship. You'll bypass the line to have your boarding photo done and someone escorts you to the elevator and directs you to the lounge. Your cabin should be ready for you by the time you board and the concierge staff can take anything and look after it for you just in case your room isn't ready.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #53
ptcbass
DIS Veteran
 
ptcbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 819

Anyone know when the crowds die down in Cabanas? This info might also influence what PAT time to get. Of course you could also go to the MDR to have lunch and then not worry about finding a table.
__________________


1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #54
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet
 
Zandy595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: SE FLORIDA
Posts: 10,731

Not that it matters very much, but Cabanas actually closes at 3:00pm on embarkation day.
__________________
Sandy Dream Menus

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #55
AliceIn
DIS Veteran
 
AliceIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 1,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
You go through the security line with everyone else however concierge have a separate check in desk so you won't have much of a wait. Once this is completed, you can be escorted onto the ship. You'll bypass the line to have your boarding photo done and someone escorts you to the elevator and directs you to the lounge. Your cabin should be ready for you by the time you board and the concierge staff can take anything and look after it for you just in case your room isn't ready.
The security line is why we figured we would wait. The terminal line to enter will be much more hectic first thing.
__________________
Me, DH, DS 13, DS 10, DD 8


AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #56
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn

The security line is why we figured we would wait. The terminal line to enter will be much more hectic first thing.
I really think if they were more strict about when they let people into the terminal it wouldn't be so backed up first thing. I met families several times whose PAT was noon or later but they were there first thing 10 am. It specifically asks you not to come before your time but people still do it.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #57
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,592

Unfortunately if they enforced the PATs, you would have the same mess outside that you get inside with people crowding around blocking the entrance who have higher times/numbers.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013



DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #58
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 5,139

I'm on the fence about what to do on our Alaska cruise next month. I would like to try and move our Palo reservation and I do want to book a tasting. The recent navigators for Alaska show those change times starting at 11:45 (in two different places, of course, LOL). But for the first time, I was considering holding off and not boarding until later.

So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe since we are at the Pan Pacific, we will just let them take our luggage to the ship and we will check it out right at 10:30. Then if it looks too bad, just take our chances on the other items and wait until later to check in.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #59
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas
 
DISNEY FANTASY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London England UK
Posts: 4,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
I'm on the fence about what to do on our Alaska cruise next month. I would like to try and move our Palo reservation and I do want to book a tasting. The recent navigators for Alaska show those change times starting at 11:45 (in two different places, of course, LOL). But for the first time, I was considering holding off and not boarding until later.

So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe since we are at the Pan Pacific, we will just let them take our luggage to the ship and we will check it out right at 10:30. Then if it looks too bad, just take our chances on the other items and wait until later to check in.
It can take some time go get through there, as you have border control in between security and check in.
__________________
Done it, seen it, 106 days on DCL ships, wrote the Blogs got the T shirt.
Been on all DLC ships bar the Dream.

Before you accept any response or answer 'verify' information, -when did someone "actually do it"
.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #60
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas
 
DISNEY FANTASY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London England UK
Posts: 4,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
Anyone know when the crowds die down in Cabanas? This info might also influence what PAT time to get. Of course you could also go to the MDR to have lunch and then not worry about finding a table.
On the Fantasy on two embarkation so it was busy 12.30 then died down a bit at 1.30 we nipped back in, it flows and most people want to hit the pool deck and get to their stateroom at 1.30.
__________________
Done it, seen it, 106 days on DCL ships, wrote the Blogs got the T shirt.
Been on all DLC ships bar the Dream.

Before you accept any response or answer 'verify' information, -when did someone "actually do it"
.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: