Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
I believe it was an 11am PAT (we are last minute bookers, so the earliest are never available for us... this time we have a 10:45) but we did not arrive 'til closer to noon, and they had not started boarding yet, so we were there when they called #1, yet we were 11 or 12...

This was on the Magic in May of 2014.
That sounds just about right. Boarding #1 is concierge. Depending on the ship, platinum cruisers get #1 or #2. The PATs reported seem to assign 3-4 numbers per boarding time. The earlier you signed up for your PAT gets you a lower number in that PAT's range than someone who selected last minute. So 10:30 PAT receive #2/3 through 5/6, 10:45 receive 5/6 through 8/9, so an 11:00 PAT would receive 8/9 through 12/13.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #32
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyInventor View Post
Early boarding has the advantage of lower crowds, more room in the pools, shorter lines voor the Aquaduck, lunch buffets and guest services. At boarding day there are possibilities to visit the Spa, Fitness and have a look around.
Also if you wish to make on-board reservations for Palo, Remy, Spa or tastings or want to change your MDR time (from late to main) they are on a first come - first serve basis, meaning that boarding early gives you more chance of getting the time you wish.

i will (respectfully) disagree with this statement. while changes are on a first come first serve basis the window for this does not open until 1:00. even accounting for people lining up a bit earlier its not going to help if your the first one on the ship. i don't see any reason to board early for this.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #33
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
[/B]

i will (respectfully) disagree with this statement. while changes are on a first come first serve basis the window for this does not open until 1:00. even accounting for people lining up a bit earlier its not going to help if your the first one on the ship. i don't see any reason to board early for this.
Which ship were you on with this time in place and when was your cruise? We have cruised on the Magic, Wonder [Alaska], & Fantasy where the dining changes were opened when boarding began. When it was just the Magic & Wonder, the Magic opened changes right away while the Wonder had the 1 pm start time. I had expected that in Alaska, but everything was open and we had boarding #1.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011

Last edited by lbgraves; 07-20-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #34
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

I'm the OP -- just wanted to thank everyone for the input!

I think we will be fine with boarding a little bit later. We actually *want* late dining rather than main (I know, I know...we are the ONLY ones!), so we don't need to make any changes to that. We are not planning to do any of the alcohol-related events or Disney excursions, so we are good there too. We will try to reserve a Palo brunch and/or Remy dinner online, but if we can't get a reservation, it's not a big deal. And we are not concerned about lines for lunch and/or crowds at the pool and Aqua Duck. We are sure we'll have plenty of food and pool time during our week on board...and we will probably just want to unpack and explore the ship a bit since it's our first DCL cruise. So overall, I think we will be just fine sticking with our "late to bed, late to rise" West coast strategy :-)
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #35
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Which ship were you on with this time in place and when was your cruise? We have cruised on the Magic, Wonder [Alaska], & Fantasy where the dining changes were opened when boarding began. When it was just the Magic & Wonder, the Magic opened changes right away while the Wonder had the 1 pm start time. I had expected that in Alaska, but everything was open and we had boarding #1.
fantasy and magic, never in alaska though. i just went through my last three cruises and they all say 1 so my memory is in tact. while i didn't go back any further i have never seen it open before 1 but that is me. also we have always sailed from p.c. it could be different from other ports, other sailings.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #36
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Dining Changes on the Dream have always been 1:00 - 3:30pm in Royal Palace.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #37
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
Dining Changes on the Dream have always been 1:00 - 3:30pm in Royal Palace.
That makes sense since the Wonder had that time when it was limited to 3 & 4-night cruises.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #38
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

When we are at home, we usually eat dinner at about 9:30pm so we want the late dining too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
I'm the OP -- just wanted to thank everyone for the input!

I think we will be fine with boarding a little bit later. We actually *want* late dining rather than main (I know, I know...we are the ONLY ones!), so we don't need to make any changes to that. We are not planning to do any of the alcohol-related events or Disney excursions, so we are good there too. We will try to reserve a Palo brunch and/or Remy dinner online, but if we can't get a reservation, it's not a big deal. And we are not concerned about lines for lunch and/or crowds at the pool and Aqua Duck. We are sure we'll have plenty of food and pool time during our week on board...and we will probably just want to unpack and explore the ship a bit since it's our first DCL cruise. So overall, I think we will be just fine sticking with our "late to bed, late to rise" West coast strategy :-)

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
fnrsgrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
When we are at home, we usually eat dinner at about 9:30pm so we want the late dining too.
This is so completely us as well. My husband's job keeps him out late, so we usually eat between eight and ten. I can't imagine having dinner at five-something. However, we don't have kids, so we don't have to worry about them staying up through dinner.

2002- Yacht Club and All-Star Music; 2007 AKL and All-star Movies/DCL; 2008- All-Star Movies; Feb. 2010- POR; 2012- POR/DCL; 2013- POR
Me & DH, Bond, KP, Carbon and Sprinkles
Please check out my first PTR, Sea Ya Real Soon: A Dreamy Pre-Trip Report, my NEW PTR, There's No Place Like Your Second Home for the Holidays--A Very Merry Christmas-y PTR And my first TR, A Veritable Explosion of Pixie Dust
fnrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #40
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

On our last cruise (Dream out of PC) we had a 10:30 PAT and had boarding number 2 and was on the ship at 11:30. Now in saying that we got there around 10 and waited in line to get into the port till about 11:10 and then in the check in line for about 10 minutes and then boarded at 11:30. So it took us 1.5 hours from arrival to be on the ship.

Does anyone know if you get there at 11 if the lines are shorter or still long?
I know we were excited but it felt like it took forever to get in the building.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #41
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnrsgrl View Post
This is so completely us as well. My husband's job keeps him out late, so we usually eat between eight and ten. I can't imagine having dinner at five-something. However, we don't have kids, so we don't have to worry about them staying up through dinner.
That is exactly like us. I usually have a late lunch so eating at 5pm wouldn't be much later than a usual lunch for me at home.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post

Does anyone know if you get there at 11 if the lines are shorter or still long?
I know we were excited but it felt like it took forever to get in the building.
We arrived at midday and there was hardly anyone at the port. It was a full sailing, and maximum there was 100 other people in the port when we arrived and checked in. Security had no wait. We were concierge however the regular check in line had 3 families, we met Pluto and then Goofy waiting well under 5 minutes both times. My sister hates getting in crowds and this was perfect.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

Quote:
[/B]

I cannot speak to the Dining Room changes, but I was able to make all of my Palo changes & book tasting at the Guest Services desk right after boarding prior to lunch even opening on the Fantasy last year. I had boarding # 3 or 4 & went straight to GS to make the changes. So if you wait til 1pm & a lot of people have gone to GS, you might not get what you want.
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #44
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
We arrived at midday and there was hardly anyone at the port. It was a full sailing, and maximum there was 100 other people in the port when we arrived and checked in. Security had no wait. We were concierge however the regular check in line had 3 families, we met Pluto and then Goofy waiting well under 5 minutes both times. My sister hates getting in crowds and this was perfect.
Thanks! I am really going to have to think on this. We LOVE getting there early and the sooner the better but if we have to spend 1.5 hours getting through everything to get on the ship I would almost rather just show up about noon and just walk on through. Thanks for info on your experience!

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #45
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No offense taken and a good point. I just checked the navigator and on our cruise (6/26 Magic from Venice) The changes in dining time started 12.30pm in Lumiere's. As that was before the time we actually boarded I didn't notice they had just opened. Anyway: I think the OP by now has a lot of answers why people choose early PAT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: