Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
smec73
Mouseketeer

split stay advice

We are thinking of going January 17-22, and we will be driving. I am considering do a split stay. Staying in the contemporary on the days we are doing Mk, and pork for the days we do AK/hs.
Ive read a bit on here about the pros and cons. I know it is not in our budget to stay at the contemporary the entire trip, but I thought that the monorail would be great for the days we go to Mk.
Thoughts??
smec73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
parkluvr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smec73 View Post
We are thinking of going January 17-22, and we will be driving. I am considering do a split stay. Staying in the contemporary on the days we are doing Mk, and pork for the days we do AK/hs.
Ive read a bit on here about the pros and cons. I know it is not in our budget to stay at the contemporary the entire trip, but I thought that the monorail would be great for the days we go to Mk.
Thoughts??
Some people don't like Contemporary, but it has always been my favorite. We stayed there in June for 5 nights and it was awesome. Going to the Magic Kingdom is really convenient because you not only have the monorail, but you also have the option of walking to and from the Magic Kingdom from the hotel. We did the Wishes desert party and left the park immediately after the fireworks ended. It was really cool because as we exited the park in a mob of people we walked toward the bus stops for the other hotels, smiled at the huge lines, and continued walking another 5 to 7 minutes and we were in the lobby of the Contemporary. On the down side when you travel to and from HS and AK, they frequently use combined buses for Contemporary and the Polynesian and sometimes even Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge. You would think that for the price you pay for these Deluxe resorts, Disney could spring for a few extra buses.
parkluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Never heard of the pork resort but thinking you mean POR? Most that do a split stay feel it's best to do the lower resort first, then the deluxe.

I felt the same way when we stay at an Epcot resort, watching the hoards leaving for the park exit after Illuminations, while we walk out the International Gate back to our resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Collette
Mouseketeer

I'm not a big fan of split stays, but I do like your plan for this trip!

Contemporary is wonderful for MK days - either monorail or walking. I like riding the monorail to Epcot also and not making that long walk to the bus stops.

And it's great to go to a different resort to get to AK and HS. I stayed at BLT last fall. Long waits for a bus to arrive for either park and then a long ride to the park always stopping at Polynesian and Grand Floridian and sometimes stopping at Wilderness Lodge, too. I agree with PP that for what is paid for these deluxe resorts that there could be some extra buses.

I absolutely adore POR! We stayed there for the first time in fall 2012 and can't wait to go back. We thought the bus service was very good. The resort is spread out, but oh so lovely!!

Have a great time!!
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: