Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Tinks
I had the hots for my accounting teacher and eventually married him!

How and how much to tip resort valet?

I know I'm venturing into a sensitive subject. I don't want to get into IF you tip or not or whether it's appropriate.

I just want to know:

1. do I tip valet when I drop my car on arrival? They usually pull out the bags and hand them to bell services, right?

2. when they retrieve the car for me (no bags)?

3. When they put it back for me (no bags)?

4. When I check out and they retrieve it?

And how much to tip valet? I know I usually tip bell service $2/bag. How much do you usually give the valet person?

I've read somewhere that you tip when they get you the car from valet and not to tip when they take it to park it, but that seems strange to me, especially on arrival. Everyone has different ways of doing things…what's yours?

Thanks!

Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I tip $5 when they retrieve my car and nothing when valet goes to park it. I've never known anyone who tipped when dropping their car off.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
TravelMommy
Mouseketeer

Valet

We do more valet parking at local resorts than at Disney (usually no car there) but I do tip on drop off and pick up. I always think that it is not the same person who takes your car that drops it off.
TravelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Tip the valet who brings your car to you anywhere from $2-5 depending on how fast and courteous they are.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
francie57
DIS Veteran

We usually tip the person that helps with the bags (usually not the one parking the car) and then just tip when we get the car - not when we drop it off.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
DavidG1966
Mouseketeer

I ALWAYS tip someone I am handing the keys of my car to. It make me feel like they are less likely to abuse the car. I tip on both ends, but, I think tipping the the person who parks the car for you is more important then tipping the person that gets it for you.
DavidG1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

We always tip both at drop off and pick up.
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
saskdw
DIS Veteran

As far as I know they don't share tips so if someone does something for you it is a tippable service. I do find it annoying sometimes when you literally have to tip 7 or 8 people between the airport and turning the key on your room. Not because I'm to cheap to tip, but you have to walk around with a wad of $5 bills

I wish I could just pay someone $50 and have them divide it up!
saskdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Tinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
As far as I know they don't share tips so if someone does something for you it is a tippable service. I do find it annoying sometimes when you literally have to tip 7 or 8 people between the airport and turning the key on your room. Not because I'm to cheap to tip, but you have to walk around with a wad of $5 bills

I wish I could just pay someone $50 and have them divide it up!

Yes! Me too! I've been stashing away $5 bills and singles for a week or two in preparation for our upcoming trip. Too funny.

Valet tipping seems to vary widely from person to person. There doesn't seem to be a "standard" like bell service where it's $1-2/bag. (or more if there are lots and/or they are heavy)

Thanks for your replies and I'll keep checking to see any other thoughts on it.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Tinks

I just did a quick online research on valet parking. It really is all over the place. Generally it sounds like it is good etiquette to tip around $2 to the "parker" and $2 to the "retriever".

However, several sources said if you tip well to the "Parker", you will get a better spot and better service, FYI.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this. It is confusing for me too. Once I arrived by cab to Universal resort. Had to tip cab, then the guy who took out our luggage, then the Bell Sevice guy who then in turn checked my luggage, then the Bell Service guy who delivered my luggage it gets a little crazy! I don't understand why they have one person who just unloads car, and another who checks it . So 3 people to tip for 1 set of luggage!!! If your family has 6 pieces of luggage that's $20 just to get luggage to your room!!!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Thanks for posting this. It is confusing for me too. Once I arrived by cab to Universal resort. Had to tip cab, then the guy who took out our luggage, then the Bell Sevice guy who then in turn checked my luggage, then the Bell Service guy who delivered my luggage it gets a little crazy! I don't understand why they have one person who just unloads car, and another who checks it . So 3 people to tip for 1 set of luggage!!! If your family has 6 pieces of luggage that's $20 just to get luggage to your room!!!
I have a hard time with this too. It's the same situation at boardwalk, with different people unloading the car and them handing them off. I don't like to partake in a system that is so obviously a way to get tips.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: