Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
NewRVLady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynme View Post
We do not feel guilty when we skip for Palo or Remy's. We always tell our servers the night before. But, our most recent cruise, the servers acted put out that we weren't going to dine with them the next night. It rubbed me the wrong way.
Ok , as a never cruised person, this baffles me!
Is a tip given at EACH meal-is that why they are miffed?
NewRVLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRVLady View Post
No, gratuities for your servers are included in the auto-gratuity that's added to your onboard account.

We've had servers that have told us that they would miss us the nights we dined in the adult dining venues (or otherwise), but certainly not "miffed". Not saying there aren't some whose demeanor may read as miffed, but we've not had them.

Maybe it's just a difference in how a guest interprets a servers comments?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
No, gratuities for your servers are included in the auto-gratuity that's added to your onboard account.

We've had servers that have told us that they would miss us the nights we dined in the adult dining venues (or otherwise), but certainly not "miffed". Not saying there aren't some whose demeanor may read as miffed, but we've not had them.

Maybe it's just a difference in how a guest interprets a servers comments?
I get where the PP is coming from. We decided to skip the MDR after a long day at Atlantis and chose instead to go to Cabanas much later than our early dining time. I honestly felt scolded the next night at dinner when our server wanted to know why we didn't come to dinner. It was a last minute decision so I was not able to let him know ahead of time but I still did not appreciate the scolding we got.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #19
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

To the OP: you don't have to make close friends with your servers. Remember you pay Disney a lot of money to make you happy. Not the other way around.
It is common sense to let them know in you will skip an MDR when you know in advance (Palo, Remy, late Port Adventure, or just other plans), certainly when you are seated with others, who may wait for you to join before ordering. And of course be polite to each other as human to human, but that's not the discussion here.
It's your cruise and you decide what you do to make it the way you enjoy most. If that's in the MDR: fine, if that is with a cheeseburger on the pooldek: fine too!
Anyway: remember to relax and enjoy your cruise.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #20
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

As already suggested, you're not there to make friends--just to eat.

The tips are already calculated so it isn't as tho they will miss a tip for that evening.

Even tho we're just 2 adults with a table for two, we always tell the servers--as a courtesy--the night before we dine at Palo and Remy
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I am also glad to see we are not the only ones that feel this way. We didn't miss dinner but just didn't stop in for lunch (not even knowing our server was in there!) and we felt bad. This next cruise I will know how to handle it and not feel bad about it.

I will let them know if we are skipping the MDR and enjoy my meal (where ever we decide to have it) guilt free. After all the server is still getting the same amount of money. And yes we are spending a lot for the vacation and should do what we want to do.

Thanks everyone!!

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #22
goofynut41
Disney Veteran

Its your vacation, you should be able to do what you want to, or I do anyway.. You paid a lot of money for the cruise shouldn't have to be tied down to a schedule. That's the way I think anyway....

goofynut41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

We usually got to WDW a couple of days before. Between fast passes and ADR's we are ready to relax with less of a schedule on the cruise. We just took our first cruise and I really thought there would be a little more down time. We even stayed up till about 1 in the morning to have some extra time. We really did feel like we needed a "do-over" so we booked another one and this time I will know what to expect and will do a few things differently.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

In my two previous cruises I've done Palo the first night - once was with my family (all adults), and we were concierge so we didn't hold anyone up. The second time I was solo, but since I hadn't had a meal with my servers yet, there was no way to let them know (if anyone knows of a way to communicate this on embarkation day, would be great to know for the future).

Assuming the rotations for the Fantasy Eastern C are the same as the Fantasy Eastern cruises now, I will be able to notify them since I have a request for AP for Pirate night - which would put AP (my personal fave) the first night.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #25
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
(if anyone knows of a way to communicate this on embarkation day, would be great to know for the future).
There are a couple of ways to do it. You can speak to Guest Services and ask them to pass along the message. I find this hit or miss if they get the message in time. So I recommend speaking to the head server. If you have early dinner, go to the restaurant that is open for lunch on embarkation day. Ask to speak to the head server and let him/her know the restaurant you are dining in that evening and your table #. They will get the message to the correct person. If you have late dinner, you can do this same thing or after early seating is seated, go to the restaurant you are scheduled for that evening and speak to the head server working the door. Since this is the dining staff your server is a part of, they will definitely get the message before second seating starts.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #26
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

We were told the MDR staff knows when you have reservations at Palo/Remy.
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #27
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
Thanks everyone! I am also glad to see we are not the only ones that feel this way. We didn't miss dinner but just didn't stop in for lunch (not even knowing our server was in there!) and we felt bad. This next cruise I will know how to handle it and not feel bad about it.
On our recent cruise we did breakfast and (on sea days) some lunch in Cabanas. No problem. We even met our MDR servers there for two days as they also rotate into Cabanas.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #28
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom View Post
We were told the MDR staff knows when you have reservations at Palo/Remy.
That's what I thought, but on our recent cruise the MDR staff denied this. I miscalculated the night before, but told a table mate why we wouldn't join MDR that night. No problem. MDR staff asked if we liked Palo and just continued serving the MD. They were awesome.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRVLady View Post
I don't understand it either. I seems as if someone didn't show for dinner it would mean less work and people to keep up with. I doubt very many people reduce the tip amount so they are still getting their money.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #30
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
I don't understand it either. I seems as if someone didn't show for dinner it would mean less work and people to keep up with. I doubt very many people reduce the tip amount so they are still getting their money.
No, we most definitely did not reduce gratuities even though we only dined in the MDR 2 nights out of a 4 night cruise. Our servers knew we were going to Palo (they already knew before we told them) and we decided last minute to skip the MDR in favor of a late dinner in Cabana's. We definitely got a bit of a scolding for going to Cabana's.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: