Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

skipping a MDR and your server...

Do you feel bad if you don't go to the main dining room and see your server one night? We went all nights but once for breakfast/lunch (I can't remember which one) we went to a main dining room. We didn't have our normal server and I expected that. Later we saw him and apparently he was in the other dining room during that time and asked where we eat because he had seen us walk by where he was at. I felt kind of bad for not knowing he was in there and not eating there for that meal. I can't imagine missing dinner. I know it is my vacation and I should do what I want but I did feel bad (I'm just that kind of person). Any advise\comments?

We thought about skipping RP next time but I don't want there to be any awkward feelings about my family not showing up to see our server for one night.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

No - don't feel bad. If we have planned Remy or Palo, we just let our servers know that night before so that they are not waiting for us. You should also not feel bad about not eating breakfast/lunch where your servers are.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

I tell them in advance so they do not wait for me or the table can be used, we do Palo and Remy it's not an issue.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Over 15 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
Do you feel bad if you don't go to the main dining room and see your server one night? We went all nights but once for breakfast/lunch (I can't remember which one) we went to a main dining room. We didn't have our normal server and I expected that. Later we saw him and apparently he was in the other dining room during that time and asked where we eat because he had seen us walk by where he was at. I felt kind of bad for not knowing he was in there and not eating there for that meal. I can't imagine missing dinner. I know it is my vacation and I should do what I want but I did feel bad (I'm just that kind of person). Any advise\comments?

We thought about skipping RP next time but I don't want there to be any awkward feelings about my family not showing up to see our server for one night.
Whenever you have lunch/breakfast in an MDR the chances that you would get your regular server are pretty slim. they could be working at any other food place for breakfast or lunch. No need to feel bad. How on earth would you know where your server was serving unless you happened to ask him/her the night before. Some people do that.

Absolutely no reason to feel guilty. Breakfast and lunch are totally up to you where to eat.

Also, if you choose to do dinner elsewhere than your MDR for dinner you should not feel guilty. Of course if you don't eat in the dining room for dinner there is still the expectation of tipping the minimum gratuities as if you ate in the dining room all week. No reason to penalize your server if you choose to eat elsewhere for dinner.

We have done Palo dinner many times over the course of our DCL cruising and we just let the server know we have Palo and won't be at dinner that night. No big deal at all and the servers are always fine with it. They know Palo is a big draw and expect people to dine there sometimes.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
jennab05
Mouseketeer

One night on the Fantasy we were just not feeling MDR service even tho we LOVED our waitstaff. We just wanted a quick meal and continue on with our night... so we decided to go to Cabanas thinking it was a buffet style like breakfast. We were wrong. We were seated at a table and had servers take care of us... I guess they use cabanas dinner to train new waitstaff. We felt horrible about missing our waitstaff for the ones we had since we really enjoyed them and felt like we missed out on great convos (don't get me wrong we loved the waitstaff at cabanas too but you know we REALLY loved the MDR ones..) so lesson learned and we will stick to the MDR from now on. I think it's all just preference and how well you connect with the servers but we've always had great experiences and love seeing them all the time.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

We are not MDR people at all - we really dislike it. On our first cruise we went the first three nights and decided we'd had enough, so we took a couple of nights off. When we went back the servers made us feel SO guilty, asking and asking about why we weren't there; they even had the head server call us twice in our cabin.

On our second cruise we told our servers right away that we don't like the MDRs and probably would skip most nights, but that it wouldn't be reflected on their tip. They seemed fine with that, and we ended up doing Palo or Remy several nights.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We usually miss one night in the MDRs for Palo and we let our servers know the night before that we won't be at dinner. The serving teams expect that their diners will miss a night or two. We always say hi when we run into our servers during lunch or breakfast.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
kathi
DIS Veteran

We have been on several Dream cruises and never stepped into the rotational dining rooms (Remy and Palo the entire trip). We let them know in advance and always tip them generously (more than the recommended amount).

As long as you are courteous and notify them and tip them appropriately, you should not feel bad. It's less work for them anyway.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
GSUJillybean
Mouseketeer

I don't think it matters as long as you tip. I don't think there's enough time to develop a relationship with your servers on a 7 day trip, so I don't understand the question.

When we cruise, I tip the staff well, but I don't try to make friends, if that makes sense.
1/2012-CSR- First trip as a family of three!
12/2010-CR Atrium CL
12/2009-ASM
12/2008-ASSp
12/2007-CR Atrium CL-First trip as a widow/single mom with baby Henry.
7/2005-PFQ- Honeymoon!
3/2004 PFQ- Engagement trip!
GSUJillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi View Post
We have been on several Dream cruises and never stepped into the rotational dining rooms (Remy and Palo the entire trip). We let them know in advance and always tip them generously (more than the recommended amount).

As long as you are courteous and notify them and tip them appropriately, you should not feel bad. It's less work for them anyway.
They could be assigned other duties.

Someone moved from late to main dinner.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Over 15 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
I tell them in advance so they do not wait for me or the table can be used, we do Palo and Remy it's not an issue.
Yep. That's the biggest reason to let them know, so that they don't wonder if they should delay service for the others at your table. On our first cruise, which was royal not Disney, we were at a table for 8 but only 4 ever showed up. The first night we waited on the other four. A few nights in the other two stopped showing and we had to insist to the servers that we were actually still hungry and they needed to my delay us. If those 6 had just told the servers they wouldn't be there it would have been nicer for us.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
disneynme
Mouseketeer

We do not feel guilty when we skip for Palo or Remy's. We always tell our servers the night before. But, our most recent cruise, the servers acted put out that we weren't going to dine with them the next night. It rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Our next one is another 3 nighter and we requested our same server again. We really liked him last time and enjoyed talking. We had our own table and hope to again but I never thought they would make one family wait if the other family wasn't there yet. Seems like it would be no big deal to go ahead and take care of the one family. Anyway, we would never short the tip even if we didn't go. I feel like they are under tipped as it is and add more to it. I would feel strange not tipping at Cabanas. If we get Royal palace the first night we wouldn't be able to tell our server we weren't going to be there. I guess we could stop by to see if we could get a message to him.

Can you pick where you want to sit at Cabanas for dinner? What kind of menu do they have?

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
Our next one is another 3 nighter and we requested our same server again. We really liked him last time and enjoyed talking. We had our own table and hope to again but I never thought they would make one family wait if the other family wasn't there yet. Seems like it would be no big deal to go ahead and take care of the one family. Anyway, we would never short the tip even if we didn't go. I feel like they are under tipped as it is and add more to it. I would feel strange not tipping at Cabanas. If we get Royal palace the first night we wouldn't be able to tell our server we weren't going to be there. I guess we could stop by to see if we could get a message to him.

Can you pick where you want to sit at Cabanas for dinner? What kind of menu do they have?
The menu at Cabanas for dinner is a selection of items pulled from the other MDR menus that night. Plus, typically, a salad bar and carving station.

So, the offerings there will be similar to what you would be offered in the other MDRs.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The menu at Cabanas for dinner is a selection of items pulled from the other MDR menus that night. Plus, typically, a salad bar and carving station.

So, the offerings there will be similar to what you would be offered in the other MDRs.
Thanks
I can't wait to try Cabanas for dinner. Sounds like a great option!
Now I won't feel so bad about not being in the MDR. I will try to let my server know.

Thanks again everyone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: