Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

Who has used the patch for sea sickness?

Who has used the patch for sea sickness? Any side effects? When did you put it on? When did you take it off?
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
littleaussie
I tell people my daughters are 75% American and 25% Australian

I got a prescription patch from my Dr. for the 2 week Panama Canal trip. I put the first one on the day we left, in the morning. It was a little circular bandaid type looking patch. It went on behind my ear. I changed it every couple days., can't remember how often it said to change it but was something like every 5 days.
I took it off the day we disembarked.
The only side effect I had was dry mouth.
January 2012 - Celebrating engagement with a Disney trip with a stay at WH
January 2011 - WH trip that will not be repeated!
December 2009 - Oak Plantation stay with Disney visit disaster
May 2008 - Traveling the WB Repo 2008 with an ex. . .
January 2006 - WDW at Oak Plantation+ Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
2003 and earlier - Numerous family trips too many to count!
littleaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_canadian View Post
Who has used the patch for sea sickness? Any side effects? When did you put it on? When did you take it off?
My husband used the patch on our first cruises. He's always had motion sickness issues and felt that was the way to go.

In our experience (in discussing it with the doctor prior to prescribing it), the patch is really the last resort for those whose motion sickness can't be controlled otherwise. There are significant side effects for some people, including vision problems, dehydration, and (in extreme cases) disorientation.

You have to be careful about the handling of the patch also. Once you put it on, be sure to wash your hands and don't touch the patch while wearing it without washing your hands afterwards.

My husband put the patch on the morning our first cruise started (about 4 hours prior to boarding) and wore it the entire cruise (changing it every 3 days). He did have the dehydration issues, and wound up drinking LOTS of water. But he could tell that he would have had problems with sea sickness if he hadn't been wearing it on some days.

Since then, he's not needed it as much (maybe his inner ear is getting used to the motion of cruising) and only wore it as needed on subsequent cruises since our 3rd one.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

It's my 'don't leave home without it,' item (next to our passports and cruise docs.)

I'd never had an issue with motion sickness, (until our 4th DCL cruise in 2005.)

I put it on the morning of embarkation. I don't really know of any side effects, since I don't know what it feels like NOT to wear one, LOL. Everyone is different though.

I highly recommend it.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
sue
love my DVC

Yes, I have used them on past cruises. I believe I put it on about a hour or so before we set sail and they are good for about 3 days at a time. They stick on like a band aid behind your ear. You can swim and shower well without it coming off. You simply replace it on the 3rd day with a new patch. The one side affect I really experienced is a DRY mouth. I felt like I needed to drink constantly. The patches can make you a little off kilter at first which I think why they say to apply the patch at least a hour before hand. The patches are pretty expensive. I think I paid about 75 dollars for mine and my daughters patches for a one week cruise. I think it would be wise to check with your insurance beforehand to see if they cover it. They work really well though. We had waves of 18 feet on a cruise we took during the month of November and I was just fine
Disney' Big Red Boat 3/92 Contemporary 3/92, Poly Resort 12/ 01, Disney Wonder 12/01, Disney Magic 11/05, SSR and OKW 10/06, SSR 08/07 Hawaii Mauni Lani Resort 08/08, Pop Century 2009, OKW 2009, DVC member only cruise Disney Wonder 2009, DVC trade to Kauai Wyndham Shearwater 01/10, All star music resort 08/11, SSR treehouse villas and OKW 11/11, Pop Century 11/12, Disney Fantasy Western 11/12, Bay Lake and Disney Fantasy Eastern 10/14
sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
eeyoreandtink
Mouseketeer

We used patches for our first cruise, and bonine for the second. I had both dry mouth and a little blurred vision with the patches, but not noticeable side effects from the bonine. Both worked just fine, no seasickness.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

I put one on before I get on the plane because the plane can make me feel sick. Actually, before the car ride to the plane to get ahead of any prion sickness.
I usually change it once- but push the limits on the number of days it says to wear it. I have found that, once I adjust, I don't need it anymore, but may need it for some excursions on a small boat or on a bus. I put one on for the way home. I have experienced the dry mouth, but just drink more water!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Fsudisney
Mouseketeer

I used the patch on several cruises without any issues , BUT on my 7 night when it was time to replace it, I must have been in a hurry or not have reread the instructions. I put the new patch on and then during dinner I could not read the menu- it was like my eyes kept crossing every time I tried to read! I freaked out! But we quickly realized I had put the new patch on behind the same ear as the old one instead of putting it behind the other ear! I just took it off and didn't replace it at all and was fine the rest of the cruise. So I know it was my fault, but make sure you don't do what I did!

Fsudisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
ScrapHappy
Earning My Ears

I used the patch on my cruise last May. It was my first cruise but I tend to get motion sick so I decided I didn't want to chance it. I didn't have any motion sickness at all, but the seas were pretty calm. The only side effect I had was dry mouth. My doctor recommended putting it on the night before we left for the cruise so it had time to work. Plus I think if there were any temporary side effects such as blurred vision you would sleep right through them. My DD used the patch on a cruise when she was 14 and had no problems at all. I plan to get a prescription for the patch for my upcoming Magic cruise.

ScrapHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Krs1300
Mouseketeer

I used it several years ago on a cruise I took with my dad while I was still in college. I didn't read the side effect warnings and was REALLY confused when things just felt "off" to me. I evenutally looked at the box when I was feeling really weird and realized I was experiencing several of them. I had dry mouth, VERY blurred vision and restless sleep. I was tossing and turning every night and it was terrible. I ended up taking it off and the side effects went away. To me, risking motion sickness was a better option than the way that patch made me feel. Everyone reacts differently though... I hope it works for you if you choose to use it!
Krs1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I've used the patch on a couple of cruises, and a couple of ABD's that I knew went on twisty-turny roads.

The good thing about it is, if you have a bad reaction, taking the patch off usually resolves it pretty quickly. I actually recommend doing a test run the first time with the patch before using it on vacation, just to make sure there's no bad reaction.

Everyone reacts differently to the patch. I already have dry mouth from another medication, so I can't really say if that's an issue. Other than that, it doesn't bother me. But I know other people who have very bad reactions to it.

The patch works really well for me, and doesn't make me drowsy. All the other sea-sickness meds (even the "Non-Drowsy" versions) knock me out.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
huskydogg
Mouseketeer

Go ahead and grab the patches but when you get on the ship, check the gift shop for something called "Sea bands". (Or any pharmacy near the port should carry them) They are a wristband you wear. Invest the 9 or 10 bucks and try it. If it works, it'll save you the side effects of the patches. If not, it was only a few bucks.
They worked for my wife and table mates, and everyone we have shared this with on a cruise and tried it has loved it.
Like I said, worth it if you can avoid the side effects of the patch.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydogg View Post
Go ahead and grab the patches but when you get on the ship, check the gift shop for something called "Sea bands". (Or any pharmacy near the port should carry them) They are a wristband you wear. Invest the 9 or 10 bucks and try it. If it works, it'll save you the side effects of the patches. If not, it was only a few bucks.
They worked for my wife and table mates, and everyone we have shared this with on a cruise and tried it has loved it.
Like I said, worth it if you can avoid the side effects of the patch.
You can get them at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. No need to wait until you get to the ship. And then you'll have a chance to try them out, and make sure they don't bother you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Band-N...d-1ct/16918569

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea...662944-product

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...s?skuId=109278

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

DH and I both used the patch for our cruise. We put it in the morning of and took them off when we got back. Neither one of us had any side effects, however, my mom used the patch for her 21 day cruise and ended up in the ER. The longer you wear the patch the higher the chance for serious side effects.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
teambeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
CEGrant
Mouseketeer

I put in on the day before we board. I don't get the dehydration, but the longer I wear it the more I get the vision side effects. Distance vision is fine but I have to close one eye to read. Lol. But they're totally worth it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: