Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

How easily can you switch resorts if you don't like it?

We have an upcoming split stay during which we are going to spent 3 nights at AoA and 3 nights at CBR.

It will be our first time in a Value (we usually stay in moderates/deluxe). Although we think we might love it, we've be told that there is a big difference between value and mods and we might not enjoy it.

What if we don't like it? (Ex: we wake up after the first night and we just don't wanna stay) What should we do? Is it complicated to switch resorts? Do they make you switch resort without any question? Do you have to pay for 1 more night? Do you lose the money you invested?

Thanks in advance.
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
kmb584
DIS Veteran
 
kmb584's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 4,531

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
We have an upcoming split stay during which we are going to spent 3 nights at AoA and 3 nights at CBR.

It will be our first time in a Value (we usually stay in moderates/deluxe). Although we think we might love it, we've be told that there is a big difference between value and mods and we might not enjoy it.

What if we don't like it? (Ex: we wake up after the first night and we just don't wanna stay) What should we do? Is it complicated to switch resorts? Do they make you switch resort without any question? Do you have to pay for 1 more night? Do you lose the money you invested?

Thanks in advance.
I switched from ASMu to CSR in April 2011 without issue. One night in a value was enough for me so I went to the front desk to ask about upgrading to another resort, and CSR was one of the ones available. It was definitely worth it! The CM did ask why I wanted to switch and I told him that the room was too small; he simply nodded and went about booking me into another resort. I did this all at 7am and did not have to pay for that night at ASMu. Whether right or wrong (I don't know) the CM applied what I had paid for the room towards my new one at CSR and I paid the balance once I arrived.
__________________



Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
patty57
DIS Veteran
 
patty57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 2,376

I just want to add the caveat that if you are going at a very busy time of year, the resorts available might be limited. Other than that, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem moving.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

November 21-24 is very busy?
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

November 21-24 is very busy?
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
november 21-24 is very busy?
very
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Ok ... Good to know. So far I've had no problems adding nights to my stays but it is true that we are 4 months in advance.

I do love ALL moderates. What are the chances that they end up being all 100% overbooked?
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,490
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
Ok ... Good to know. So far I've had no problems adding nights to my stays but it is true that we are 4 months in advance.

I do love ALL moderates. What are the chances that they end up being all 100% overbooked?
If you think there's a good chance you won't like AoA, I would make the change now! Nothing is etched in stone once you get there. I can live with just about anything for a few nights. Hated my last stay at ASMusic.....couldn't wait to get to AoA! Bit I toughed it out. If you decide to move, and there is availability, you will be expected to pay the difference. But....if you had a discount of some kind, you most likely wont be able to carry that over, and you would end up paying rack rate!

I've stayed ay Pop (6 times), AoA (2 times) and ASMusic (2 times)....the only one I refuse to return to is Music. Is there a difference between values and moderates? Sure. Values have no hot tub, no table service restaurant, lesser luggage service, no slide at the pool, the rooms have a single vanity, double beds and are a bit smaller. If you have a family of four, yes, it could be cramped. But....I don't really think you'll feel that much different in a moderate room...a foot longer and a foot wider don't make a huge difference.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan
 
JennyDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,289

Will echo what goofy4tink said, if you think there may be a problem, CHANGE NOW.

You are assuming that 1. You will be able to change and 2. That you will be able to change to a moderate.

If you booked under any kind of discount, it is unlikely that it would apply to your last minute change.

In 40+ stays at WDW most have been in the values and they work great for me! Contrary to goofy4tink, Music is my favorite and I so DISLIKED AoA. Never again.
__________________
Jenny Drake
JennyDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
If you think there's a good chance you won't like AoA, I would make the change now! Nothing is etched in stone once you get there. I can live with just about anything for a few nights. Hated my last stay at ASMusic.....couldn't wait to get to AoA! Bit I toughed it out. If you decide to move, and there is availability, you will be expected to pay the difference. But....if you had a discount of some kind, you most likely wont be able to carry that over, and you would end up paying rack rate!

I've stayed ay Pop (6 times), AoA (2 times) and ASMusic (2 times)....the only one I refuse to return to is Music. Is there a difference between values and moderates? Sure. Values have no hot tub, no table service restaurant, lesser luggage service, no slide at the pool, the rooms have a single vanity, double beds and are a bit smaller. If you have a family of four, yes, it could be cramped. But....I don't really think you'll feel that much different in a moderate room...a foot longer and a foot wider don't make a huge difference.
We paid rack rate, there was no deal for that week.

Trust me, I really want to like it. It's just the beds and the soundproofing that scare me because I read a lot of bad reviews about it. But I insist on giving it a try.
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
Will echo what goofy4tink said, if you think there may be a problem, CHANGE NOW.

You are assuming that 1. You will be able to change and 2. That you will be able to change to a moderate.

If you booked under any kind of discount, it is unlikely that it would apply to your last minute change.

In 40+ stays at WDW most have been in the values and they work great for me! Contrary to goofy4tink, Music is my favorite and I so DISLIKED AoA. Never again.
I'm curious. What did you dislike in AoA?
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Lisann
Mouseketeer
 
Lisann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 474

I've never had any trouble switching from a resort I didn't like to another, even when everything is "booked up". In fact, when I am told that there is nothing available, I have actually gone over to the resort that I am interested in, and have asked there...with success.

Also, things can change in 12 hours. If you don't like the resort and there is nothing available that night, in the morning there can be something available.

You have to be persistent.

However, having said all of that, I would switch now to what you really want. I would assume you will have a good time at your current resort, but you sound as if you are having doubts.

We've changed many, many times, so I know it's possible. We have always gotten the resort we want, even when it seemed as if we never would!
__________________
Lisa


I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside, Dolphin.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisann View Post
I've never had any trouble switching from a resort I didn't like to another, even when everything is "booked up". In fact, when I am told that there is nothing available, I have actually gone over to the resort that I am interested in, and have asked there...with success.

Also, things can change in 12 hours. If you don't like the resort and there is nothing available that night, in the morning there can be something available.

You have to be persistent.

However, having said all of that, I would switch now to what you really want. I would assume you will have a good time at your current resort, but you sound as if you are having doubts.

We've changed many, many times, so I know it's possible. We have always gotten the resort we want, even when it seemed as if we never would!
I think there is a 99% chance that I will like it.

But I like to have a Plan B, just in case.
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,949

We've stayed at all resort levels and find something to like about all of them. We have stayed a couple of nights at Pop, and thought it was fine. We did go over to AoA once to walk around the grounds and grab lunch in the food court. We thought the resort was super cute.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #15
SillySallySews
Mouseketeer
 
SillySallySews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 277

A lot of people say AoA "feels" more like a moderate than a value. I'm not sure exactly what they mean since we've only stayed at value and deluxe, but I've read it more than once on these boards, and I've also heard it from friends in real life. We stayed at AoA last year in a Cars suite and our kids loved the theming. We were in the farthest building from the main lobby and it still only took about five minutes or less to walk there and to the bus stop (and there was plenty to look at and enjoy along the way). We had no issues with sound coming from the hallway or neighbors. We actually had more issues with noise staying deluxe last month, but still nothing so bad that we wouldn't stay there again. The beds were also very comfortable.

The one and only thing we didn't like about AoA was the crappy cell phone/internet service. In our room we couldn't get internet signal at all, and the reception for calls and texts was super spotty. I think it must have something to do with the building itself because if I took three steps outside the building I had a full signal for both phone and internet.

You're going during a very busy week with it being Thanksgiving. I would not count on being able to switch unless you are very flexible with what you can switch to and the type of room. Switching now would probably give you one less thing to stress about, but I love AoA despite the phone/internet issues and would gladly stay there again.
SillySallySews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.