Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
JohnDaleswife
Mouseketeer

Plus more DVC equals less housekeeping cost.
JohnDaleswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #32
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
. . . The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.

1) Most if this seems to be accurate.
2) While having "bull sessions" during employee meetings, this is the current babble about WL.
3) With the reduction in WL Front Desk staffing and further reductions due to DVC, many of us are not happy.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Any idea when construction at WL will start? We are planning on going back to WDW next November and were going to try the CR, but we LOVE WL and would be disappointed if it was then years of construction before we'd be able to go back and enjoy it.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #34
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy

I wonder if this management style is what is being taught today because I have personally seen this in other corporations. It is no longer about continuing to build upon your success, but rather collect the profits they are getting at the time. Spending big $$$ = RISK. Maybe the risk will pay off, but sometimes those profits take a few years to be fully realized. They don't like any risk and they don't like waiting for the money.
ABSOLUTELY!!
I hate the new corporate business environment. I work for a large chemical company. They are no longer interested in innovations and research, that want us to magically pull fabulous ideas out of our you know what in 2 weeks.
We've got chemist, researchers and biologist leaving in droves because the company is only interested in the bottom line
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #35
clsteve
It takes a very long time to become young

Location: Where, if the world ended tomorrow, we wouldn't know for three days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDaleswife View Post
Plus more DVC equals less housekeeping cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.
It all fits with what they've been doing lately:
  • It raises cash up front, and increases predictable income flow YTY

Decreases the expense line with dues/maintenance fees now alloc'd to those units.

They can decrease expense outlays for eveything from Mousekeeping head count to laundry related utilities since DVC units don't get daily service

It takes the rooms off the Hotel Occupancy Rate grid, increasing their Occupancy percentage which is one of the things the Analysts have beating them up about. A unit 100% sold is 100% occupied. For units 60% sold they only have that 40% to fulfill with hotel reservations to hit targets

DVC owners are, of course, locked in - but also stay for longer durations than the avg hotel guests

As long as they can keep selling them at a high rate and this conversion experiment is successful.......

Let's just put it this way, the timeshare/DVC business fits everything Disney wants to do at WDW and is way more predictable, cost effective, and profitable than the Hotel business - as long as they hit the sales targets necessary.

clsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
Any idea when construction at WL will start? We are planning on going back to WDW next November and were going to try the CR, but we LOVE WL and would be disappointed if it was then years of construction before we'd be able to go back and enjoy it.
No timetable yet besides the pool starting to go under construction.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #37
Jake
Earning My Ears

Everything has a saturation point. There are only so many people in the world who can afford the "Disney Experience." With their total vacation cost going up Rooms, food, tickets and other things. It makes it hard to afford it.

Last edited by Jake; 07-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Everything has a serration point. There are only so many people in the world who can afford the "Disney Experience." With their total vacation cost going up Rooms, food, tickets and other things. It makes it hard to afford it.
DVC is actually much more affordable in the long run, if you can afford the $$ upfront.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #39
rymahoney
Mouseketeer

So whats everyone's opinion will WL have construction in 2015? Booking my trip for November 2015 next week and want to avoid construction.
Will increasing the number of dvc rooms drive the dvc price down a bit? More sales will be needed to get people to sign contracts and fill those rooms. We would love to do it. But upfront cost would drain our savings also hard to know what are vacations will be like in 30 years.

Last edited by rymahoney; 07-19-2014 at 10:54 AM.
rymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #40
Suvadoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.
This is true in theory, but renting DVC from Disney is a lot more expensive then renting from other DVC owners or from a DVC rental company. Disney may eventually be forced to reduce rates on their DVC rentals and sales to guarantee heads in beds. This would not be good for DVC owners.
Suvadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #41
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I want to discuss the future of the WDW resort based on what the spirit on wdwmagic is reporting. He is very reputable when it comes to these things most recently got the new restaurant replacing kouzzina right.

1. Disney is done with building new deluxes unless new management changes that.
2. Disney's biggest DVC expansion is starting and its not where you think.

3. Disney is not reaching capacity on its resorts, so rooms are going to start to leave.

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel.

The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.
OP, I know you are just relaying information from wdwmagic, but does anyone know exactly what this particular bolded part would entail? I know CBR is undergoing a renovation of the whole resort, and as far as I have been able to tell, the room count is not going down. Would this statement then be referencing deluxe resorts? I'm just curious.

Honestly, for how often we go, we prefer the Mods. We sometimes even do Values, as DS5 & DS7 really like them. We are Floridians and AP passholders, so it works for us.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #42
DavidG1966
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Spot on. It's part of the reason Disney has been in the news as a takeover target recently.
Recent takeover target? By who? They have a market cap of 148+ Billion dollars. What company was rumored to take them over?
DavidG1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #43
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Even DVC has a limit. Disney can't just continue to sell more and more DVC and expect to increase profits forever.

Plus staff is disappearing. Part of the Disney "magic" was always the service and interaction with CM's. I don't like hearing that they are gradually disappearing.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
snowweisz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG1966 View Post
Recent takeover target? By who? They have a market cap of 148+ Billion dollars. What company was rumored to take them over?
Disney hasn't been on the same sentence with takeover target since the 80's

January 1997

April 2013
Trip Report: When you wish upon a star: Three Birthdays at WDW can come true

September 2014
Pre-Trip Report We Couldn't Think of a Name!
snowweisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Nikki View Post
OP, I know you are just relaying information from wdwmagic, but does anyone know exactly what this particular bolded part would entail?
It's rumored that Disney is looking at coverting rooms at other deluxe resorts to DVC - primarily Beach Club & Yacht Club. It's also in the rumor mill that rooms in the Trinidad south section of CBR may be converted to DVC units.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: