Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
I wonder what the saturation point will be with DVC? At some point, there's going to be more DVC units than demand and they will have an issue with not being able to sell all of the units.

I don't really know that much about DVC. Wonder when the contracts at Old Key West expire?
Quote:
If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced?
As PPs have explained, the difference between DVC and regular resort rooms is that DVC sells 50 year contracts. So the rooms "sell out," so to speak, from the get go. Regular rooms make their money night by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Teepees over the water? I'm still stuck on that....
I think it sounds good. Especially because the Teepees won't affect anyone's sight-lines like it will at Poly. Plus, as a DVC member, I have a hard time with availability at VWL. If they convert rooms to DVC, no one will be happier than I.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnscott4 View Post
If the executives at WDW really want to fill rooms they need to start putting more money into the parks. New Fantasyland is fine and the MyMagic+ system is great and all but we need more. The oft rumored Star Wars and Carsland additions at DHS would definitely bring in some crowds and fill up hotel rooms. The more and better attractions that are added to WDW will certainly increase attendance and demand for hotel room on every level from Deluxe to Value and everything in between.
Disney is at a point in management where they would rather spend small amounts of money like converting existing rooms to DVC for short term gains. Expansions in parks are for long term gains. Disney is only looking at short term gains right now.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced?
If they convert to DVC they will sell 50 year contracts locking people in. Less non DVC rooms will make the occupancy rate look greater. DVC sells like hot cakes except for places like Vero Beach and Disneys Hilton Head those didn't sell well. Aulani didn't even sell like they wanted it to.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Teepees over the water? I'm still stuck on that....
Yeah thats an interesting one but wouldn't actually surprise me. Will be interesting to see what they look like if it does happen.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Peltier626
Earning My Ears

Is this part of the construction thats begining to take place at the WL, and how long will this process take?
08' Animal Kingdom lodge
08' Beach club resort
10' Wilderness Lodge
11' Disneyland H.I.
12' Port Orleans
14' Animal kingdom lodge
Peltier626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I would have thought that a DVC expansion at the Contemporary had a high probability of being next after the Poly. That South Garden Wing is just begging for the same treatment that replaced the North wing.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I would have thought that a DVC expansion at the Contemporary had a high probability of being next after the Poly. That South Garden Wing is just begging for the same treatment that replaced the North wing.
I agree, and I also would love to stay in a tee pee out on bay lake. Hear that? It's the sound of my DVC ownership becoming more valuable.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
That WAS on the table but apparently the ground isn't suited for building another tower. It would require too much work ($$$) to prepare the ground for building.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #24
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

What do you mean $150 rooms a night isn't in their model? Like they think that isn't enough money being spent?
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
vandy
Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Disney is at a point in management where they would rather spend small amounts of money like converting existing rooms to DVC for short term gains. Expansions in parks are for long term gains. Disney is only looking at short term gains right now.
I wonder if this management style is what is being taught today because I have personally seen this in other corporations. It is no longer about continuing to build upon your success, but rather collect the profits they are getting at the time. Spending big $$$ = RISK. Maybe the risk will pay off, but sometimes those profits take a few years to be fully realized. They don't like any risk and they don't like waiting for the money.

vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #26
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
What do you mean $150 rooms a night isn't in their model? Like they think that isn't enough money being spent?
They pretty much only want rooms that cost $200 or more

Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
I wonder if this management style is what is being taught today because I have personally seen this in other corporations. It is no longer about continuing to build upon your success, but rather collect the profits they are getting at the time. Spending big $$$ = RISK. Maybe the risk will pay off, but sometimes those profits take a few years to be fully realized. They don't like any risk and they don't like waiting for the money.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #28
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
If it's not in the next quarterly report, then nobody cares. This is how mature, successful companies start to atrophy and become takeover targets.
RPR 12/3-12/12/2014
MVMCP 2012 & 2014
MNSSHP 2013
carmelhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #29
MarknStitch
Earning My Ears

While, as a DVC member, I am glad to hear they are continuing to develop more options et al but I would also like to see them developing the attractions too. I mean, one of the things that helped sell the DVC to us was that Disney always had a history of ever changing, new attractions and so on. It gives that extra incentive to even want to keep coming back. Don't get me wrong, i'm never going to turn down a Disney visit, new attraction or not, i'm an uberDisneyFan but it would be nice and exciting to have something new to enjoy every few years!

How many people would actually not return because nothing has changed besides getting a new hotel or a new hard ticket event?

Still, they are putting in the much needed work over on the Disney Springs concept so I guess that is exciting too.

Perhaps as fans we expect too much sometimes?
MarknStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #30
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
If it's not in the next quarterly report, then nobody cares. This is how mature, successful companies start to atrophy and become takeover targets.
Spot on. It's part of the reason Disney has been in the news as a takeover target recently.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: