Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
rteetz
DIS Veteran

WDW resort going forward

I want to discuss the future of the WDW resort based on what the spirit on wdwmagic is reporting. He is very reputable when it comes to these things most recently got the new restaurant replacing kouzzina right.

1. Disney is done with building new deluxes unless new management changes that.
2. Disney's biggest DVC expansion is starting and its not where you think.

3. Disney is not reaching capacity on its resorts, so rooms are going to start to leave.

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel.

The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel
Not sure where you're getting your info, but it was announced in May that
Marriott Springhill Suites and Marriott Townplace Suites were going to be built at Flamingo Crossings.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
Marriott Springhill Suites and Marriott Townplace Suites were going to be built at Flamingo Crossings.
As I understood it from several years ago, Flamingo Crossing was going to be a shopping/dining area like Downtown Disney...maybe Mariott is still building but the Disney stuff isn't?

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes but no construction has started first of all. second what i am saying is disney stopped trying to build the flamingo crossing they wanted.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
As I understood it from several years ago, Flamingo Crossing was going to be a shopping/dining area like Downtown Disney...maybe Mariott is still building but the Disney stuff isn't?
correct!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
larry_poppins
Mouseketeer

Is any of this really surprising? Deluxes are not selling even with rampant discounts. As long as DVC sells a conversion is cheaper than starting from scratch. The tee pees over the water sound strange!
larry_poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post
Is any of this really surprising? Deluxes are not selling even with rampant discounts. As long as DVC sells a conversion is cheaper than starting from scratch. The tee pees over the water sound strange!
I agree I'm just reporting from a source who has a good track record.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

I wonder what the saturation point will be with DVC? At some point, there's going to be more DVC units than demand and they will have an issue with not being able to sell all of the units.

I don't really know that much about DVC. Wonder when the contracts at Old Key West expire?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
I wonder what the saturation point will be with DVC? At some point, there's going to be more DVC units than demand and they will have an issue with not being able to sell all of the units.

I don't really know that much about DVC. Wonder when the contracts at Old Key West expire?
The earliest DVC contracts expire in 2042. (OKW I think, BC, BW ) The exception is that the OKW owners were offered an extension at some point . Not sure if that extended them to 42 or from 42?. I'm not sure about VB and HHI.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Later in the thread, Spirit says Marriott is not obligated to build those suites. They can back out at any time.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
jnscott4
Huge Disney World Fan

If the executives at WDW really want to fill rooms they need to start putting more money into the parks. New Fantasyland is fine and the MyMagic+ system is great and all but we need more. The oft rumored Star Wars and Carsland additions at DHS would definitely bring in some crowds and fill up hotel rooms. The more and better attractions that are added to WDW will certainly increase attendance and demand for hotel room on every level from Deluxe to Value and everything in between.
jnscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.
If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Andrew015
WL Guru

Quote:
If Disney is planning to covert deluxe hotel rooms to DVC becasue the occupancy rates at the deluxe resorts is declining, don't they still have the same problem? If you can't sell the deluxe rooms becasue of the sky high hotel rates they're charging, are people going to book DVC rooms/villas which will be even higher priced?
The difference is that if more rooms are converted into DVC, then more contracts will be offered for sale. Disney is having no trouble selling DVC, and this "locks in" / guarantees return guests for 40-50 years.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Teepees over the water? I'm still stuck on that....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: