Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Need to Make a Decision Soon ~ WWYD? ~ Please Help Me Decide :)

Hi, everyone! I was hoping I could get some opinions / advice/ help with planning our trip (and i apologize in advance for how long this post is!)

Last year was our 1st trip to WDW - we stayed 5 nights at the Poly in mid Nov and loved it! We are currently trip to plan our 2nd trip. We originally booked for this Thanksgiving, but we had to cancel- alot of things came up & it was going to be a hassle for my dh to have work off during that time.

Our ds is 7 and will be starting 2nd grade this year, so we're kind of limited to school holidays (why we had originally thought Thanksgiving) or a very short trip so he doesn't miss too many days. Plus, from the northeast- there's no way we'd be able to handle the summer heat in FL.

So, I planned out 2 different trip options. Both have their pros & cons. I am begging for some help from the wise people of the Dis to help us pick which you think would be the better of the 2 choices

Option 1: Suprise 8th Birthday trip for ds- end of Januray. Since there's no school holiday then, ds would have to miss 3.5 days of school. The trip would be 1/27 (.5 day from school) arriving @ MCO at 10:30pm (so essentially- just there to sleep that night so can start 1st thing the next morning) and leaving on 2/1 (departing about noon). Because the arriving flight is so late, it ends up being a very short trip. Pros: value season (usually w/a ro discount), lower crowds, way cheaper airfare, because of the lower cost would prob stay at Grand Floridian, Could do fun suprises for ds's b-day-would turn 8.
Cons- very short trip & having to pay for 1st night just to sleep, having to miss 3.5 days of school

Option 2: 2/11 - 2/16. Since this is over a holiday, ds would only have to miss 2 days of school. Our flight would arrive at MCO at 11 am- so, we'd have a good porition of 1st day to hit the parks. With President's Day, I'm sure crowds will be much higher & the prices of both the resorts and airfare are soooooo much more.

I'm leaning towards option 2, even though it will cost more & have higher crowds...I just think option 1 (as much as I would love to do a bday trip for ds & the low crowds) would be a very rushed vacation. So, if we do pick option 2, we'll prob have to choose a different resort, because I'm not quite sure I could swing GF at peak season rates (esp right after xmas ). We're open to any suggestions on any of the deluxe resorts as well.

I'm sorry this was sooooo loooong!! I'm just starting to get anxious with the 2015 rates coming out soon & getting close to the ADR window without any dates set on.
Thank you in advance for any & all help!!!

1st WDW trip- Nov 2013 @ The Polynesian
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

I am a teacher in the northeast and while DS is in 2nd grade I say go for a whole week. It is not an MCAS year and if he does well academically he should be fine. I am going presidents week because obviously I can't take a week out. The airfare is INSANE. He's still little I say go for his b-day but make it a longer trip. Just my 2 cents.

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
I am a teacher in the northeast and while DS is in 2nd grade I say go for a whole week. It is not an MCAS year and if he does well academically he should be fine. I am going presidents week because obviously I can't take a week out. The airfare is INSANE. He's still little I say go for his b-day but make it a longer trip. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! Ds goes to private school (Catholic school) so (thankfully) his school doesn't do the state testing like the public school do here- but they do have their own in system/diocesan tests. But 2nd grade there is all prep for receiving 1st commuion the end of the school year as well.

Ds is advanced and does very well in school; the reason I'm so nervous about pulling him for so long is that he gets sick alot & usually misses a fair amount of time (all w/ dr's excuses) due to many sinus / ear/ upper respirtory infections & allergies brought on by his reactive airway disease.

I agree- the airfare is CRAZY high! For the 3 of us, right now it's showing from AVP (Scranton,PA) to MCO for our dates in Feb would be $1590 vs $960 for the Jan. dates...ugh

Thanks for the advice & I'll definateley cosider it- I'll really really would love to do that!!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

I agree with the other response. I would do the whole week around his birthday. Although we did do President week each year until this year since our oldest started college ( ). It was crowded but doable and nicer weather than summer. The day after Presidents Day the crowds were reduced Maybe leave Thursday night and come home Wednesday. This way he will only miss 3 days. We love the weather then.

I wish our kids were that young to take out of school - so summer it is for us.

Enjoy!

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInNYC View Post
I agree with the other response. I would do the whole week around his birthday. Although we did do President week each year until this year since our oldest started college ( ). It was crowded but doable and nicer weather than summer. The day after Presidents Day the crowds were reduced Maybe leave Thursday night and come home Wednesday. This way he will only miss 3 days. We love the weather then.

I wish our kids were that young to take out of school - so summer it is for us.

Enjoy!
So, the day after President's Day, the crowds thinned out? We get the Fri before off & Monday off, so if we do Feb- maybe we should have our 1st day be Fri instead of Wed....just have to check the airfare difference.

Thanks so much for the advice!!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Disneymomma0783
Mouseketeer

I would do as previously mentioned above and go in January for a surprise birthday trip, but up it to a week. There's such a big difference in air fare, it would be nice to put that savings towards a wonderful stay say at GF. Plus, airfare is the same whether you're there for four days or a week or two! We come from Canada and air fare is pricey, and we only go every second year so we always go for at least two weeks...
And by doing a surprise trip right after Christmas, you could use THAT as a Christmas gift and cut down that way too!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
weesignlanguage
DIS Veteran

You should also be aware that the Feb dates you have chosen are Mardi Gras weekend and M/T this year. I know b/c I am in the heart of MG living in south Alabama and our schools are out that M/T of President's day weekend. You will find the crowds to be a little thicker not only b/c of the national holiday but also b/c you will get a lot of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama residents coming to visit.

I will also give you some advice since I've been there. I have one son. I remember one year for his birthday, I worried about him missing school and even posted it on the Family board here. I got big time flamed b/c not only would my son be out but I am a teacher. I had a hard time biting the bullet and taking both myself and my son out but we did it and he had one of the most memorable and amazing birthdays EVER. All that worrying was gone after I saw how much fun my son was having. I saw go on your son's b'day and forget that he may miss an extra day and a half of school. Tell the teacher and get any make up work and get it all taken care of but do not let it keep your family from making amazing memories. You won't regret it! I promise!

Also, another thought would be do it on Martin Luther King weekend (holiday is Monday Jan 19)...we've been there that time too. I don't know if your schools are out but ours are...might be worth looking into! Good luck and have an awesome time!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
PrincessWhite
Earning My Ears

I agree with this also! Just saw weesignlanguage that you were from Fairhope Al. I'm from Brewton, Al!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesignlanguage View Post
You should also be aware that the Feb dates you have chosen are Mardi Gras weekend and M/T this year. I know b/c I am in the heart of MG living in south Alabama and our schools are out that M/T of President's day weekend. You will find the crowds to be a little thicker not only b/c of the national holiday but also b/c you will get a lot of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama residents coming to visit.

I will also give you some advice since I've been there. I have one son. I remember one year for his birthday, I worried about him missing school and even posted it on the Family board here. I got big time flamed b/c not only would my son be out but I am a teacher. I had a hard time biting the bullet and taking both myself and my son out but we did it and he had one of the most memorable and amazing birthdays EVER. All that worrying was gone after I saw how much fun my son was having. I saw go on your son's b'day and forget that he may miss an extra day and a half of school. Tell the teacher and get any make up work and get it all taken care of but do not let it keep your family from making amazing memories. You won't regret it! I promise!

Also, another thought would be do it on Martin Luther King weekend (holiday is Monday Jan 19)...we've been there that time too. I don't know if your schools are out but ours are...might be worth looking into! Good luck and have an awesome time!
PrincessWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I would do the surprise birthday trip and as others suggested, make it longer if possible. He's young enough to not fall far behind in school if he misses a week, and you'll save a ton of money. Having lower crowds would be awesome and would make for a more enjoyable trip! If you can't extend the trip, at least you'll be able to get more done with lower crowds in a shorter amount of time than you would during a busier crowd season.

As he gets older it will be harder to pull him out of school for trips because he will miss so much info even missing a day or two, so I would do it now while he won't get way behind. Plus, if you DO need to catch him up on learning/schoolwork, it's much easier to help a 2nd grader with their studies than a 7th grader or high schooler!

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesignlanguage View Post

THANK YOU!! For sharing your story It makes me feel a whole lot better about making a decision. I just pulled out his school schedule from last yr and saw that the last school day in Jan is a 1/2 day (end of Catholic schools week & teacher appreciation day). If we adjust our dates - we can fly out that afternoon, and there's a flight that would get us there by dinner time Friday and stay til that Wed. It'll give us 1 evening, 4 full days & nights and 1 half day with him missing 3 days of school. To fly out on a friday w/ that afternoon flight will add to the original airfare by a few hunder dollars but will save us prob close to a $1000 over what the total Feb trip would be w/ lower crowds. I'm going to talk to dh tonight & see what he thinks. Getting soooo excited now!!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone who has shared their advice & opinions! You guys are all so great!! I appreciate all of the wonderful feedback!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
LittleP
Earning My Ears

I also think you should plan a little longer trip in January. It's so nice being there without the crowds. Having taken a similar trip when my DS was in 2nd grade, I was also concerned about him missing time at school. But we were able to take some work with us and he did not fall behind. He's 16 now so I can't take him out for a week, but he does get 2 days off for Disney this year.
When your child is 30, he won't remember 2nd grade. But he will remember that he got the best 8th birthday ever!
LittleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleP View Post
I also think you should plan a little longer trip in January. It's so nice being there without the crowds. Having taken a similar trip when my DS was in 2nd grade, I was also concerned about him missing time at school. But we were able to take some work with us and he did not fall behind. He's 16 now so I can't take him out for a week, but he does get 2 days off for Disney this year.
When your child is 30, he won't remember 2nd grade. But he will remember that he got the best 8th birthday ever!

Awwww... Thanks so much!!
He'll be thrilled!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
maekeith
Earning My Ears

I wouldn't worry about taking one so young out of school. I agree with another post saying you should make it a week long holiday. Your son is just going into grade 2 and you have said he is doing well so take the full week.

DH and I have taken our Grandaughter 2 times to DWD. Both times she missed an entire week of school. We did take along some work for her to do and also helped her write a journal of the trip. She also "helped" us read signs, menus etc. lol

She is going into grade 3 this year. We are taking her again in May 2015 and this time the grandson who is 5 will be joining us.

Now is the time to enjoy and have fun. Have a wonderful trip!
maekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

We took DD for her 8th birthday last year in December. She had dinner on her birthday with Cinderella -- and she STILL talks about how great it was. They are only this age once, I would go for it (becasue we did )

We fly from Philly, so I totallly get your sticker shock with the airfare. We used to drive up to Newark, NJ so we could fly JetBlue (always cheaper than Southwest) until last year we decided to get a Southwest credit card and in less than a year we had enough points to cover 4 flights in November!
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining
November 2015 {Jersey Week}, WL

MomTo3PrincessesInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: