Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #31
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

On my last trip I stopped in one of the Hess stores and got my diet cokes and diet sprites (for late night no caffeine) and a package of fig newtons. I had fig newtons for breakfast the next 3 days!

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #32
mousehappync
Earning My Ears

We asked for a microwave in our room at the Yacht Club in June and they brought one up in minutes. We heated up leftovers for snacks in the room that way. You could also bring things like easy mac to re-heat.
mousehappync is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #33
2girlsmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm hoping this is a joke. Because that sounds disgusting. Not the muffins or granola bars, but instant grits and meat and water heated in a bag? Ewwww. Let the poor man go buy his breakfast!
No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done. The bacon in a bag I mention in case he doesn't want grits one morning. I use a vacuum sealer at home, which is just a fancy ziploc, and heat in those... So no, I'm not joking. We are saving every penny to afford this trip and neither of us wants to waste those pennies on overpriced bacon and bad eggs.
In other notes, the old grilled cheese trick sounds pretty genius according to my DH. He loves a challenge. He's planning bacon sandwiches......
2girlsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
JanieMc
Starting over with youngest kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmomma View Post
No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done. The bacon in a bag I mention in case he doesn't want grits one morning. I use a vacuum sealer at home, which is just a fancy ziploc, and heat in those... So no, I'm not joking. We are saving every penny to afford this trip and neither of us wants to waste those pennies on overpriced bacon and bad eggs.
In other notes, the old grilled cheese trick sounds pretty genius according to my DH. He loves a challenge. He's planning bacon sandwiches......
I think the bacon and grits sounds like a great idea! Kind of like a camping meal... without the fire... I have the same philosophy on saving money. We're doing some pricey meals... CRT, BOG dinner, California Grill. Breakfast is a simple meal but to make it pleasant, you've got to pull out the creative stops.

JanieMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #35
JanieMc

Hot Iron Grilled Cheese

OMG, no, I'm not doing this--I don't THINK -- but such a recipe does exist, as probably others have googled...

http://www.food.com/recipe/hot-iron-...andwich-514164

Disney's going to cancel my reservations by the time we get done... lol!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #36
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

When we have a car we go to costco and buy premade sandwiches and salads. We've gotten a whole chicken too. Otherwise sandwiches are good.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, not a joke. And grits with crumbled bacon wouldn't be any weirder than any Sunday morning in my house. Instant grits only require hot water, and voila! Done.
"No self-respecting Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."
My DH would add bacon.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #38
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Meal Ideas

I have been thinking a lot on this subject since we just spent a quick trip at the parks (two nights at CSR) after our trip back from Vero Beach. IMHO, the food quality at Disney is rapidly declining and I dislike having to pay a premium for disgusting food. Next year's WDW trip I am going to spulge (actually the money saved on not buying food can go to the upgrade) on a villa so I can have a full kitchen and cook our own meals. The snacks (popcorn, cupcakes, cookies etc..) are fine but the meals were dreadful. So for this next trip, we will mostly go out to eat once a day and eat the rest of the meals in our room. Breakfast will be cereal, fruit (sliced strawberries, blueberries, pineapple etc..), and granola bars. Some ideas for non-cooked meals : 1. avocado, black beans, and tomatoes in a tortilla wrap 2. Hummus and sliced peppers 3. Pita stuffed with chick peas, red onion, sliced cucumbers and lettuce with yogurt dressing. 4. Turkey/cheese or Tuna in a wrap or pita with tomatoes/lettuce 5. Cheese /pepperoni with crackers. Sides choices will be fruit/ chips, and carrots. Looking forward to hearing others non-cooking recipes.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #39
JanieMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthehive View Post
I have been thinking a lot on this subject since we just spent a quick trip at the parks (two nights at CSR) after our trip back from Vero Beach. IMHO, the food quality at Disney is rapidly declining and I dislike having to pay a premium for disgusting food. Next year's WDW trip I am going to spulge (actually the money saved on not buying food can go to the upgrade) on a villa so I can have a full kitchen and cook our own meals. The snacks (popcorn, cupcakes, cookies etc..) are fine but the meals were dreadful. So for this next trip, we will mostly go out to eat once a day and eat the rest of the meals in our room. Breakfast will be cereal, fruit (sliced strawberries, blueberries, pineapple etc..), and granola bars. Some ideas for non-cooked meals : 1. avocado, black beans, and tomatoes in a tortilla wrap 2. Hummus and sliced peppers 3. Pita stuffed with chick peas, red onion, sliced cucumbers and lettuce with yogurt dressing. 4. Turkey/cheese or Tuna in a wrap or pita with tomatoes/lettuce 5. Cheese /pepperoni with crackers. Sides choices will be fruit/ chips, and carrots. Looking forward to hearing others non-cooking recipes.
Hoo yeah. That's my kind of food. Fresh and healthy. I love hummus, tuna, all the rest. Since you're staying in a villa: how about gazpacho and other cold, no-cook soups? Refreshing and tasty...

Now I'm reminded of something I need to hit up my mom about, and share: She belongs to one of those ladies' groups that have tea and crumpets (not really; they have tea and coffee and a bunch of ladies' food, party sandwiches etc, after presenting papers. Yep, I'm a Southerner!... ). My mom has serious anxiety when she has to host, so she makes everything ahead of time and freezes it all... certain finger sandwiches--there are exceptions of course, stuff you can't freeze, like cucumbers--and cookies and cheese wafers and on and on. Then she just lets them thaw when it's time and they're delicious. It reminded me of how long all of the food stays fresh, which is definitely a few days. Growing up, it's all we ate! We'd descend on the kitchen the second those ladies left, and stuff ourselves and there was tons left over. I might whip up a batch of stuff, sandwiches especially, to take and thaw and nibble on and round out with fresh fruit and the yummy convenience food ideas everyone has come up with! We'll see how an extra cooler might augment the fridge.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #40
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel your pain. I have a picky, meat eating DH also & have found that I can buy instant grits & a bag of real, crumbled bacon & he is happy. It's usually in the section with salad dressing & is NOT the hard imitation bacon. Works great in grits.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #41
TinaLala
Hold My Table at Ohana's I'm on My Way!

Love this thread. I'm going with my Girl Scout troop and we're trying to find ways to save money. We're looking at the AofA suites which have frig, microwave and coffee maker. I plan on ordering from garden grocer.com.

Courage Confidence Character!
http://lalacraftworld.wordpress.com/ - my craft blog!

TinaLala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
When we have a car we go to costco and buy premade sandwiches and salads. We've gotten a whole chicken too. Otherwise sandwiches are good.
MMM, those rotisserie chickens from Wal-Mart are delicious cold!

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #43
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed in regular rooms.
Oops. On our last trip in 2011, I participated in a fridge swap at POP and there was a toaster in the box as well. I didn't even think about it not being allowed in the room, and definitely used it in our regular room. We also had a coffee maker that my parents brought down with them, since they drove.

My kids both love those pouches that are everywhere now. Even though most of them are technically baby food, the 5-year-old likes them too. We're planning to bring a bunch as "back up" to feed the baby, if she can't/won't eat what we're eating at any of the restaurants, but I'm sure her sister will end up with some for quick breakfasts/snacks in the room as well.

PS - That hot iron grilled cheese actually sounds really good... I'm tempted.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #44
2girlsmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanieMc View Post
OMG, no, I'm not doing this--I don't THINK -- but such a recipe does exist, as probably others have googled...

http://www.food.com/recipe/hot-iron-...andwich-514164

Disney's going to cancel my reservations by the time we get done... lol!
Lol, I did this as a kid, it's good! And if you've had a Varsity grilled cheese in Atlanta, it the same thing!
2girlsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #45
barneyda
Earning My Ears

Buy one of those plug in heaters that immerse in a cup of water….I've had one for years…works for all kind of noodle cups, soups, etc.
barneyda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, economizing, in-room, meals

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: