Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
TravelMommy
Mouseketeer

What we pack in luggage

Bagels (travel well, much cheaper brought from home), peanut butter, all fruit organic sandwich spread, favorite cereals, favorite snacks like pringles, precooked bacon in the package- (doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened) I brought a few of these, everyone loved this and it is vacation after all! I still did a GardenGrocer order to get cases of water/iced tea etc. but we definitely bring things too.
TravelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #17
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

Has anyone flown down and brought a small toaster? I don't like untoasted bagels. Or, have you bought a toaster and just left it behind for the Mousekeeping?

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskerri View Post
Has anyone packed breakfast foods in their suitcases when flying to Disney? I am thinking of getting a few things that we can easily eat in-room in the mornings. Maybe a box of cereal (and buy milk at the gift shop), muffins, scones, etc...Food is allowed in checked baggage, right?
You may want to pack a few large paper glasses for that instant breakfast. The glasses in the rooms are all pretty small.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1968 View Post
Has anyone flown down and brought a small toaster? I don't like untoasted bagels. Or, have you bought a toaster and just left it behind for the Mousekeeping?
Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed in regular rooms.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #20
JanieMc
Starting over with youngest kids!

Cuisinart egg cooker??

Hey there, my friend lent me a small Cuisinart egg cooker, cordless and battery operated. She thought we could make a few eggs for breakfast in it. Now, obviously a dozen eggs would take up a huge part of the fridge, but we have chickens and could take a little bowl of eggs to put in, for a nice little hot breakfast one morning, to break things up, as it were. I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed in a regular room, because it's small and doesn't need electricity... But I'm not sure! Anyone know? We're driving, so space isn't an issue in a suitcase. Taking boiled eggs with us is a really good option too, but I just love hot poached eggs...

JanieMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
JanieMc

Toasting and microwaving at counter service

I just saw on a Contemporary Resort page that hotel guests are welcome to use the microwaves and toasters at the Contempo Cafe. Apparently most counter service restaurants onsite let you prepare your own food there. (And offsite equally likely, though offsite peeps probably get a comp full breakfast !) We're staying in the CR garden wing, so it's going to be too far for us, but I didn't know this factoid and thought I'd share!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
JanieMc

Re: Emerald Breakfast on the Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip planner View Post
They are really filling. (And I am a breakfast eater!) I have brought them on my last two wdw trips. Despite my love for chocolate and coffee, I prefer the flavors that don't have chocolate and/or coffee.
I'd never heard of these--wow, they look tasty. We we take some! Also, about using hot water for instant oatmeal etc. Awesome idea... Thank you!!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed in regular rooms.
Well, I guess that settles that.

The breakfast in the room for me is as much about time savings as it is money savings. I want to avoid the food court in the morning as much as anything else. I will probably just stick to granola bars and maybe cold cereal. I did that one other time, I carried one of those multi-packs of cereal in my carry on bag and then just used cups in the room to eat out of. They were small, but did the trick. I guess I could take a plastic bowl with me...

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #24
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
You may want to pack a few large paper glasses for that instant breakfast. The glasses in the rooms are all pretty small.
We also packed insulated cups with lids so DH could drink his coffee on the bus and not have to deal with the refillable mugs all day. Anytime we ate at the resort we would use our refillable mugs and get a bottle of milk as our drink, which we used to mix the kids' instant breakfast. We also got yogurt for a dessert sometimes.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1968 View Post
I toast mine the night before at the food court.

I like toast and don't care if it's room temperature.

I also prefer cold coffee so make a Starbucks Iced Via the night before add in a waterbottle add my sweetner shake it up, and put it in the fridge.

Next morning I get my Via out pour it in a to go cup (or leave it in the bottle) and add milk (new allergy so now I'll buy soy or bring almond) and grab my toast and put some ham or peanut butter on it.

Usually either eat it in room or at the busstop.

I'm allergic to most breakfast foods so buy stuff at the resort or in the parks doesn't work for me.

I also bring energy bars or a brand of smoothies that come in shelf stable pouches (like those baby food squeezes for babies).

We also get sandwich stuff to do quick lunches when we travel for team sports. Plus chips crackers cheese cookies and fruit. Eating out everymeal gets old, really old.

I used to do oatmeal but can't eat it anymore.

Toast is my go to breakfast. I'd really miss it and I don't want to mess with any food court/quick service in the morning.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Last edited by bookgirl; 07-20-2014 at 07:33 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
2girlsmomma
Mouseketeer

I'm glad I found this thread! My DH thinks any meal without meat doesn't count. So with my girls and I are perfectly happy with granola bars and muffins for breakfast.... I'm thinking of taking precooked sausage or bacon, he can crumble that into some instant grits and use hot water from the coffee maker! Also wondering if setting meat in a ziploc and letting it sit in the hot water will warm it up?
2girlsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #27
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmomma View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! My DH thinks any meal without meat doesn't count. So with my girls and I are perfectly happy with granola bars and muffins for breakfast.... I'm thinking of taking precooked sausage or bacon, he can crumble that into some instant grits and use hot water from the coffee maker! Also wondering if setting meat in a ziploc and letting it sit in the hot water will warm it up?
I wonder if this would be a time for off label use of the iron in your room. Set it on high, no steam. But the bacon between some paper towels. Press and hold till done, just like fusible interfacing (but better tasting).

OK, I'm kidding. But it might be a fun experiment.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
crabbygal902
after a lapu lapu, I'm not so crabby anymore

It seems that applesauce is ubiquitous in counter service kid's meals and maybe some of the table service, too. My kids never eat it with their meal and instead I pop the sealed containers in my bag for the breakfast the next day. Even though they are eating applesauce every morning, we always seem to come home with it too! I swear that stuff multiples in the resort room.

We almost always eat breakfast and snack in our resort room, and here are our favorites that maybe haven't been mentioned already:
that darn leftover applesauce
leftovers from dinner the night before (zip-locs are always in my bag)
cashews
baked goodies from home (brownies, chocolate chip cookies, muffins)

and I'm stealing that hard boiled egg idea!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #29
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I wonder if this would be a time for off label use of the iron in your room. Set it on high, no steam. But the bacon between some paper towels. Press and hold till done, just like fusible interfacing (but better tasting).

OK, I'm kidding. But it might be a fun experiment.
That's so funny - I was thinking that you could make a "grilled cheese" sandwich using an iron! (Saw that on an old episode of "Modern Family" the other day. )
Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmomma View Post
I'm hoping this is a joke. Because that sounds disgusting. Not the muffins or granola bars, but instant grits and meat and water heated in a bag? Ewwww. Let the poor man go buy his breakfast!

Last edited by maxiesmom; 07-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, economizing, in-room, meals

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: