Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Does the Animation Academy bum anyone else out?

It seems like it all starts with a lopsided circle and goes downhill from there. Now, I have some decent art ability....but all my characters end up looking like Quasimodo: misshapen and caddywompus eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love the attraction....but I usually need to hit to hit up Toy Story Midway Mania afterword, rack up a high score, and get my mojo back!
jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

This is why I follow the instructors' advice to draw lightly and darken later. It's amazing how much the eye will ignore the light lines and focus in on the dark ones. Remember it's not about perfection, just having fun and practicing a new skill.

I only get bummed out by this attraction when I have to draw a Disney Channel character.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
BaxterSaysMeoww
Earning My Ears

I love the drawing academy! I have to thank the Disboards because last year was the first time I was back to WDW in like 10 years and I didn't even know it existed so when we went in May I took full advantage of it. Our last trip we would finish drawing then go get back in line. I'm not an artist at all but I found most of it very easy to do, except Elsa, she ended up looking like an alien..

My boyfriend is left handed and had a kind of hard time drawing which is the only complaint he had about it. The first time we went in he drew his circles very dark because he didn't listen but after that first time he seemed to enjoy it.
BaxterSaysMeoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnewton View Post
It seems like it all starts with a lopsided circle and goes downhill from there. Now, I have some decent art ability....but all my characters end up looking like Quasimodo: misshapen and caddywompus eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love the attraction....but I usually need to hit to hit up Toy Story Midway Mania afterword, rack up a high score, and get my mojo back!
I'm the complete opposite. I have absolutely NO artistic ability, but I love the Animation Academy. I've been surprised with how well some of my sketches have turned out. It's my must-do at DHS.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
anotherhb
Easy on the Ears

Well it certainly gives me a good opportunity to heartily laugh at myself and my drawings. But what a neat attraction!
anotherhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
BrittyRo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I'm the complete opposite. I have absolutely NO artistic ability, but I love the Animation Academy. I've been surprised with how well some of my sketches have turned out. It's my must-do at DHS.
Agreed!! I usually can't draw to save my life, but for some reason this place really brings out my drawing capabilities! I got to draw Eeyore, Stitch and Mike W. They all came out pretty awesome imho! It's now a MUST DO for me!! I love it!

BrittyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

We love it too - I'm often surprised at how well our drawings turn out.

It only bums me out when we draw characters we've already done. On our last trip we wanted to draw Olaf but the CM took a vote and we ended up doing Stitch (again). UGH

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

The Animation Academy is a running joke in my family. DS8 asks to do it every time. He gets really excited and he loves doing art stuff at school/summer camp. We get in there and he votes with gusto for the character he wants to draw. By about the second or third step he gets frustrated and starts to cry and gives up. I feel terrible because even though I have minimal artistic ability mine usually turn out great. My DH has a hard time too, I think his problem is he makes his lines too dark. So we exit with an upset DS, an irritated DH, and me. So the next trip rolls around, DS begs and pleads to do it again and promises he won't cry again. Yup you guessed it, lather, rinse, repeat

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
kidd_freeper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnewton View Post
It was explained to us that each second of a cartoon requires 24 drawings. A 90 minute cartoon thus requires about 130,000 drawings.

After about 2000 drawings, you will get to be pretty good at it.
kidd_freeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
On our last trip we wanted to draw Olaf but the CM took a vote and we ended up doing Stitch (again). UGH
I hate the voting thing!

At DCA in Anaheim they have a schedule. You can go up and check the schedule; last time we were there they even had a sign outside each day with the whole day's schedule on there. EASY! No voting, no time being wasted with the voting. Don't want to draw Stitch? Don't go when Stitch is on the schedule. The schedule makes it SO simple.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I hate the voting thing!

At DCA in Anaheim they have a schedule. You can go up and check the schedule; last time we were there they even had a sign outside each day with the whole day's schedule on there. EASY! No voting, no time being wasted with the voting. Don't want to draw Stitch? Don't go when Stitch is on the schedule. The schedule makes it SO simple.
wow we would love the schedule thing! Wish they did that at WDW!

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
ladynmom94
Earning My Ears

My family loves it. We always get a good laugh & a free souvenir
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I can't draw a straight line, let alone a circle that you need to start with.

The first time, I had an awesome CM, that took her time, you could understand everything she said.

A year later, I dragged my dh in, and we had the worst CM ever.
How in the heck did he ever get the job-yes, he was an artist,
he just was a terrible instructor.

My dh picture of Tigger turned out great,
mine was indiscribeable.

I framed my picture from last year of Dale and with me getting it signed by Dale.
We found Tigger for his autographic, and I have his Tigger and picture together in a frame.

So I really think who you get as a CM matters too.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
EMode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynmom94 View Post
My family loves it. We always get a good laugh & a free souvenir
Us too. I have the most fun there because of my lack of drawing ability!
EMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxterSaysMeoww View Post
My boyfriend is left handed and had a kind of hard time drawing which is the only complaint he had about it. The first time we went in he drew his circles very dark because he didn't listen but after that first time he seemed to enjoy it.
My DH had the same issue but once he started using lighter lines, it was fun!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: