Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Taking Kids Out of School

I know that this is mostly a question for their schools, but we are now thinking of going to WDW in February. Lighter crowds and less money. But it would mean taking the kids out of school on an extended absence. It would also mean they'd need to (probably) bring homework. (I went when I was in 9th grade [and my sister in 7th] and I had a week's worth of math to do before we went which I did in a day.)

Who else has taken their kids out of school? By the way, I should mention that my kids will be in grades 8, 10 and 12.

Big family trip planned for April 4, 2015!
Toadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
GotLabradors
Missing Mr. Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadlover View Post
I know that this is mostly a question for their schools, but we are now thinking of going to WDW in February. Lighter crowds and less money. But it would mean taking the kids out of school on an extended absence. It would also mean they'd need to (probably) bring homework. (I went when I was in 9th grade [and my sister in 7th] and I had a week's worth of math to do before we went which I did in a day.)

Who else has taken their kids out of school? By the way, I should mention that my kids will be in grades 8, 10 and 12.
I'm a middle school teacher and don't think there is anything wrong with this. I work with students who are out of school on vacations to make sure they get all their work made up. I take my own kids out for vacation. I think in the end, it all depends on the kind of students your kids are.

1980 Contemporary 1984 Tree Houses 1986 FortWilderness 1998 Boardwalk Inn 1999 Grand Floridian (Oct.) 1999 Polynesian (Dec.)
GotLabradors is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
BuzzinDownToDisney
DIS Veteran

My Wife is a middle school teacher who already has said we'll be taking our son out of school for future vacations. Her recommendation is to do it the week before they have a scheduled school break, so when you return from WDW, the kids have a week to do all their makeup work.

Contemporary: '82 & '86
Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 & 2004
Bay Lake Towers: 2014 Summer
Contemporary: 2014 Last minute Christmas Trip
BuzzinDownToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Airship Ariadne
DIS Veteran

We have taken DD out each time...once in 1st grade, once in 4th and are doing it again coming up in 8th...though I fear we will not do so in high school...but we will see, right now the plan is this is it till she graduates.
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
StitchBuddy
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on the kid and the caseload they are carrying. My DD will be a senior this year and in AP classes. There is no way she would miss a week of school. It would be too hard to catch back up. I think I would ask each kid in private for their opinion.
StitchBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLabradors View Post
I'm a middle school teacher and don't think there is anything wrong with this. I work with students who are out of school on vacations to make sure they get all their work made up. I take my own kids out for vacation. I think in the end, it all depends on the kind of students your kids are.

The problem is even if they had one teacher as understanding as you, they have 6 more. I do know that they will have to have good attendance in general up until that point, or they won't grant the leave. That will be hard on my daughter who took off a lot of sick days last year.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
My Wife is a middle school teacher who already has said we'll be taking our son out of school for future vacations. Her recommendation is to do it the week before they have a scheduled school break, so when you return from WDW, the kids have a week to do all their makeup work.
There's an idea! That might give us a way to do 10 days in WDW and still have 4 days to do the homework when they get back. Or maybe do it 4 days before we leave. I dunno which. I remember wanting to get it over with before we left when I was in 9th grade, but that's just me.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airship Ariadne View Post
We have taken DD out each time...once in 1st grade, once in 4th and are doing it again coming up in 8th...though I fear we will not do so in high school...but we will see, right now the plan is this is it till she graduates.
They do grow up quickly! This will likely be our last big family trip.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
abolanwoski
Not mean, just says what others are thinking!

I take mine out every year. Both are very strong academically, otherwise we wouldn't. Now that DD9 is older, we try to coordinate with easier times of school. We are now doing the Labor Day week, since it's a short week and they really aren't missing anything (only 2nd week of school for us).
1999 - Beach Club & Disney Magic
2000, 07, 08 - Disneyland
2003 - Grand Floridian for Halloween
2008 - Disney Magic
2010 - BLT
2011 - Gaylord Palms

DH Me DD6 DD9
abolanwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
SillySallySews
Mouseketeer

For us family time always comes first. My parents took me to Disney during my junior year of HS and the world did not stop spinning. This has been discussed here before, lots of people have very strong opinions about it. Some people have also brought up the fact that the schools in their area don't allow extended absences for personal vacations. You know your kids and their schools better than anyone and should do what feels right for your family.
SillySallySews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchBuddy View Post
I think it depends on the kid and the caseload they are carrying. My DD will be a senior this year and in AP classes. There is no way she would miss a week of school. It would be too hard to catch back up. I think I would ask each kid in private for their opinion.
There's always the option of doing homework at the parks at your hotel room. Having a nap time for the grandparents be homework time for the grand kids. I just don't think that's ideal.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Just to warn you.... this is a VERY hot topic. Very controversial. Most people are strongly on one side or the other.

Some are okay with it, some are not.

Only you can decide what is best for your family and your children. Personally, I don't have a problem with it and will be pulling my second grader out for a week in September. We don't do a vacation every year, more like every other though. It has been three years since we had a vacation so it is a little different if you do this often. I do have concerns with older kids missing as it may be harder for them to makeup/teachers less flexible etc. As long as they are strong students and they are okay with missing and making up the work I would say go for it.

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Toadlover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySallySews View Post
For us family time always comes first. My parents took me to Disney during my junior year of HS and the world did not stop spinning. This has been discussed here before, lots of people have very strong opinions about it. Some people have also brought up the fact that the schools in their area don't allow extended absences for personal vacations. You know your kids and their schools better than anyone and should do what feels right for your family.
I know my younger son's school does allow for vacations. I just looked at the form. But I don't know about the older 2's school. That's not online and school is closed. We have to figure this out relatively soon if we're to make reservations for February. I have no idea what my parents did when I was in 9th grade. Times have changed.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
MaryKatesMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airship Ariadne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadlover View Post
There's always the option of doing homework at the parks at your hotel room. Having a nap time for the grandparents be homework time for the grand kids. I just don't think that's ideal.
We did it every year until the oldest DD started High School. She is in all of the high classes or AP classes and she would fall too far behind and the resulting anxiety or grade drop is not worth it.

However, I never, ever, regretted taking them out. Both my kids are good kids and good academically and in all those years only one teacher was uncooperative but she was just like that. Some of the more prepared teachers would give us the homework in advance but school policy was to get it upon return.

Don't forget airport time too for homework.

Going during peak times is just not as magical.

Last edited by MaryKatesMom; 07-16-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot about homework
MaryKatesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Crl1817
Mouseketeer

Yes, definitely check with their schools. In California public schools kids are considered truant if they miss more than three days in an academic year and parents cannot excuse their children for vacations.
Crl1817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: